Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Roque11 posted:

Kyle is too much of a wrestling purest to choose WWE over New Japan.

lol. ENTER THE LUCHA DE APUESTA GUYS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

rovert posted:

Historically no. Gabe keeps a tight reign on payouts but WWN is far less restrictive than ROH on third party bookings.

gabe loves to spend that 3.5m on those sterling venues!!!!

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Basic Chunnel posted:

How does WWN stay in business, anyway

they are getting 3.5m over 5 to run lovely venues in florida, decent ones in the north east, and pay their talent decently but not what they probably should?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

duyarvish posted:

How does Delerious have this much power at this point? Are the suits at SBG just looking at the house numbers he sends them and are happy enough to keep getting TV that they don't give a poo poo about the day to day?

SBG has always viewed ROH as cheaper in-house programming for the stations they owned. It took them 3 years to make the necessary production upgrades so they didn't look low-rent on PPV. I think I read somewhere that the combined affiliate numbers for ROH were always relatively decent, so no reason to mess with it, in their minds.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is obviously just my observation, but at the last few shows I've been to, outside of the first 2-3 rows, a lot of the crowd has been more casual fans/kids who have found the show on Sinclair.

For that audience, id imagine Cody is somewhat significant just from his name

this is exactly what it is. this isn't 2002-2008 era roh where it was the promotion for the 'smart' fan. there is a new subset of fan in between the wwe casuals and smart fan that's finds roh incredibly appealing. i was at the atlanta taping earlier this year and there must have been over a hundred bullet club t-shirts in center stage, which doesn't seat more than a thousand. cody, bully ray, the hardys and bullet club are huge draws to roh. they're making more money than ever since they moved away from the gabe mindset.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I'm here posting in anticipation for SBG/ROH either doing the eventual dumb thing that makes Bushiroad tell them to kick bricks or the seeming out of nowhere end of the relationship that SBG/ROH should have seen a mile away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

The Cameo posted:

The Yakuza's fallen apart a lot since 2012, when NOAH front office people got caught being involved - numbers have plummeted since then. It wouldn't surprise me if some extremely small promotions were still maybe taking loans from affiliated loan sharks or booking venues that end up having a number of extra "fees" attached because a local group owns the venue, but I feel like the rumors that used to circle notable places like Big Japan have vanished. Either the yakuza involvement is above-the-level, or they've stepped back completely to concentrate on profitable and less public ventures as they watch their membership dwindle.

i know of at least three well known promotions in japan that have very notable yakuza involvement. it's what it is there, it's not as bad as noah was, but it exists.

• Locked thread