Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015
I predict that Wang will shrink for a mission so that he can properly wield the Nobitsura Kage in its new size.

And does that chanting that bosses give off when they summon enemies remind anyone else of the chanting that comes at the end of a Painkiller level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Have you tried the co-op?

I have, and it's pretty fun! The enemies' health gets a boost, but it's still fun to run and murder stuff with a few other people. I'll try and organize a co-op recording session sometime after the holiday season, since I think a lot of people are going to be pretty busy and I'm on the opposite side of the world form most goons.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Update !

Weapons drop like flies in this update - We'll get a better look at all the new murdertools in the next update, but you can see how it's kind of easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer number of options at your disposal. I'll admit that I'm guilty of usually just sticking to my favorite loadouts, but thanks to this LP I'm deliberately trying as many odd combinations as possible, and it's pretty stupidly fun. I'd never have tried that splintering explosive arrow before, but it's extremely fun (if a little tricky) to use.

Now I've just got to hold out for that Christmas update - if FWH manages to put it out in the next couple of days I'll try and make a Christmas episode.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 21, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Desert Eagle, point five o.

And yeah was there some dialogue that was cut out? I wish I heard more about The Way of the Wang :allears:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Where are you getting the sprite work for the explanation bits? They're fantastic. :allears:

e: Can you add a charged shot to the sawn-off?

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 20, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Kurieg posted:

Where are you getting the sprite work for the explanation bits? They're fantastic. :allears:

e: Can you add a charged shot to the sawn-off?

You can, but then you can't fire both barrels at the same time, as those gems are mutually exclusive. A lot of the weapons in the game have a particular upgrade that suits them much better than the alternatives, and multi-shot is one of those cases.

And the sprite work is all me! I think it'll be an episode or two before we see any more, since we won't be touching on much new lore for a while. I think I'm going to upload those segments to a separate playlist when I've got a few more of them.

SSNeoman posted:

Desert Eagle, point five o.

And yeah was there some dialogue that was cut out? I wish I heard more about The Way of the Wang :allears:

Sadly that's just another example of a loose end in the dialogue that refers to a thing that never happened or was omitted for time's sake. There are more egregious examples or narrative/design dissonance that will come up later, but those are a few updates away.

Right now I'm just pumped for the christmas update, but every day that gets closer to the 25th makes me a little more anxious that it'll only be around for a day or two before vanishing.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 21, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Can you charge up chainsaws and do special attacks with them like the other melee weapons?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

White Coke posted:

Can you charge up chainsaws and do special attacks with them like the other melee weapons?

Nope. LMB attacks with the chainsaw will do 'swipe' attacks that are almost the same as a regular sword attack, but when they connect with an enemy they deal a quick series of burst damage until the chainsaw passes through. Holding down the RMB with the chainsaw puts the blade in a continual 'rev' state which deals continuous damage to anything in front of you, but consumes fuel (which regenerates quickly anyway).

Those are the only attack options, they don't offer any charge-style Stinger or Vortex attacks like you get with the blades. The advantage is that they can deal consistent, continual damage on a single target for a LONG time without needing to reload at all, the downside is that they're only effective against a single opponent, as opposed to the area-strikes of blades.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

McKilligan posted:

Chainsaw stuff.

That's disappointing. I hope they correct this glaring oversight in Shadow Warrior 3.

Also do you have the preorder chainsaw? I swore off of preordering games, but I was really tempted to get this game because Flying Wild Hog keeps their preorder bonuses exclusive, and the irrational collector part of my brain was screaming at me to get the game before I lost out on this deal forever. I'll never be satisfied until I know that the preorder weapon is a piece of poo poo.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The preorder chainsaw, in fact, operates exactly as a katana that happens to have a chainsaw's multi-hit deal going on. So, you lose the carving mode, but you do gain the special melee attacks. It's pretty cool.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Oblivion4568238 posted:

It's pretty cool.

Can you use the powers with it?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

White Coke posted:

Can you use the powers with it?

Yeah? That's what I meant when I said special melee attacks - Sting, Vortex, and Force Slash.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

White Coke posted:

That's disappointing. I hope they correct this glaring oversight in Shadow Warrior 3.

Also do you have the preorder chainsaw? I swore off of preordering games, but I was really tempted to get this game because Flying Wild Hog keeps their preorder bonuses exclusive, and the irrational collector part of my brain was screaming at me to get the game before I lost out on this deal forever. I'll never be satisfied until I know that the preorder weapon is a piece of poo poo.

The Bad News is that I didn't preorder, so no chainsaw-sword. The GOOD news is that there is an almost identical weapon (seriously, it's just a reskin) in the normal game that we'll get, so we really aren't going to be missing out on anything. I'll mention it when we find it. In other news:

Just a quick update today; the final leg of the Nobitsura sidequests is actually remarkably brief. I think I hit some kind of golden balance with my weapons in Episode 7 - a lot of the new options I try out here are kind of garbage. To note:

The Monsoon - Splintering ammo is a garbage upgrade. It doesn't grant any additional damage, it just takes 1 100-damage rocket and makes it into 2 50-damage rockets with smaller splash damage. It's inferior to a charge shot, which drastically increases AOE and Damage in every way.

The Hammershot - Rapid-fire Shotguns CAN be great later on in the game (when you have better critical % upgrades), but right now they're pretty underwhelming. The Hauer, by comparison, might shoot slower, but will hit about twice as hard. I'm kind of a stickler for conserving ammunition, so I like to get the most bang for my buck from each shot. I'd rather just stick with the stick of doom in terms of shotgun-damage anyway.

The Genocider - I thought I'd hit on something good with the sticky charge-shot trap, but it takes so long to set up, the grenades don't all detonate at the same time (you have to click 3 times rapidly), and the AOE is miniscule.

In other OTHER news: the Christmas update finally hit! I'm not sure how long it'll be around, so I'll try and throw together a quick update for it later today. I might have to use one of my other save files since the event doesn't trigger until a certain point in the story, or possibly NG+, I'm not sure which. I'll stick with the same weapons we've uncovered so nothing gets spoiled though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cu57t9nAIc

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 22, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Try using the sticky grenades onto leashed enemies. When they teleport back, hit the button.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Yeah? That's what I meant when I said special melee attacks - Sting, Vortex, and Force Slash.

My bad. I didn't process that right. I thought you meant it could do something like a SW2013 style heavy attack instead of the chainsaw's auto attack.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

McKilligan posted:

In other OTHER news: the Christmas update finally hit! I'm not sure how long it'll be around, so I'll try and throw together a quick update for it later today. I might have to use one of my other save files since the event doesn't trigger until a certain point in the story, or possibly NG+, I'm not sure which. I'll stick with the same weapons we've uncovered so nothing gets spoiled though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cu57t9nAIc

Is this update adding new guns or reskins or are those all guns that are already in the game. Because I saw what looked like a three barrelled version of the Stick of Doom and was reminded of the Hydra from RE5.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

marshmallow creep posted:

Is this update adding new guns or reskins or are those all guns that are already in the game. Because I saw what looked like a three barrelled version of the Stick of Doom and was reminded of the Hydra from RE5.

There's 2 new melee weapons in the update, but otherwise everything is a normal weapon from the game. The three barrel shotgun is a ways away, but is one of the better (best) weapons in the game.

Anyway, I've got the footage for the Christmas update, just need to do a fair bit of editing. The bonus mission only appears after a certain point in the main quest, so I had to use another save file to access the content. Problem is, that file was on NG++, so thing were a little more...challenging than expected. (I could have simply lowered the difficulty, but guess I'm a masochist).

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 23, 2016

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Catching up on videos because CenturyLink's DLS service where I am is utter balls, and that GI Joe baroness character whose name you couldn't remember is The Baroness.

Um yeah. Love the videos, and I really think I should get this game.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Grab some cocoa and hang your stockings with care, because we've got a very special and seasonally appropriate update today!
I'm sure everyone is enjoying time with their close friends and loved ones, but if you've got some time to kill, here's the tale of how Lo Wang saved Christmas.

The Christmas event isn't particularly long, but FWH outdid themselves when it comes to the decorations and just the overall christmas-y kitsch lovingly draped over everything. Plus, we get some really, REALLY nice goodies out of it!

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 24, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Ahahaha I like the Christmas carols in Japanese that are the BGM there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ganbate, Wang-kun!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
With this update we wrap up the last of the sidemissions for the first major leg of the game. This will probably be the only time I'll be using the Ninja Touch amulet - it's pretty fun to go all melee, but not at the expense of all ranged options. The -20% damage dropoff is too severe, so like most players, I'll be sticking with the Marksman for most of the game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I know Wang is Wang but he really should have mentioned that The Chef became a giant demon who probably isn't looking for a new boss.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

SSNeoman posted:

I know Wang is Wang but he really should have mentioned that The Chef became a giant demon who probably isn't looking for a new boss.

The poor writing staff must have been racking their brains to come up with dialogue for Wang's encounters that was more interesting than 'please go to this place and kill this thing'.

When I think about it, incorporating a good narrative into a game where the only form of interacting with it is to kill or destroy things must be an interesting challenge. When you do it well, you get games like SpecOps: The Line, which really embrace that destructive message of their medium. In contrast, at it's core Shadow Warrior 2 is just built to be real good at cuttin' and shootin', but it must have been a real bitch to try and write around that. It's as though no-one Wang interacts with is either aware of or cares that he must have over a 5 digit bodycount at this point.

Such is the curse of FPS protagonists, I suppose.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 29, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015

McKilligan posted:

No-one Wang interacts with is either aware of or cares that he must have over a 5 digit bodycount at this point.

Such is the curse of FPS protagonists, I suppose.

Unlike most FPS protagonists Lo Wang isn't the only badass in the world with a death count in the thousands. He's very good, possibly the best, but he does have peers.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Here's where the games begins to pick up the pace, plot-wise, and we get a little glimpse into what some of the other relatively major characters have been up to in the interim. Mezu wasn't a particularly important character in the first game - all that we learned from his memories was that he was pretty bitter about his the actions of his siblings but beyond that he didn't really...DO anything.

It's never quite explained what he means when he refers to his "meager circumstances", but we can assume that since the collision the ancients are much less powerful than they were. I don't mention it in the Story Corner, but in Shadow Warrior 1, when we encounter Gozu, Mezu, and Xing, they are in massive suits of armor, in fact we see Mezu's Armor still locked in place holding the gates shut. It's only in Shadow Warrior 2 that we encounter them on a...human scale.

That said, I have no idea why Mezu appears so diminutive. His design is also fairly different from his portrayal in the memories - he had a much more pronounced jaw and a more arrogant, bitter attitude. His size might have been on purpose, to make him seem weaker than before, or it might just have been a scaling oversight. Either way, it feels kinda weird to stand 6 inches above what is ostensibly still a god.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 31, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think your circular slash wasn't working because the dudes were behind the bosses shield, and I guess that absorbs the damage.

And yeah Wang really should have mentioned that at the end of the day it was the squabbles between all of these morons that caused this whole mess. Well, them and Zilla of course.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

McKilligan posted:

It's never quite explained what he means when he refers to his "meager circumstances", but we can assume that since the collision the ancients are much less powerful than they were. I don't mention it in the Story Corner, but in Shadow Warrior 1, when we encounter Gozu, Mezu, and Xing, they are in massive suits of armor, in fact we see Mezu's Armor still locked in place holding the gates shut. It's only in Shadow Warrior 2 that we encounter them on a...human scale.

That said, I have no idea why Mezu appears so diminutive. His design is also fairly different from his portrayal in the memories - he had a much more pronounced jaw and a more arrogant, bitter attitude. His size might have been on purpose, to make him seem weaker than before, or it might just have been a scaling oversight. Either way, it feels kinda weird to stand 6 inches above what is ostensibly still a god.

Aren't the suits just mecha? When you beat them there's a human sized lump of chi that comes out. Also getting beaten up by Lo Wang with (parts of) the Nobitsura Kage is probably going to take a lot out of them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm glad that you've finally latched onto the Sword beams, I used those all the time in the first game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

Aren't the suits just mecha? When you beat them there's a human sized lump of chi that comes out. Also getting beaten up by Lo Wang with (parts of) the Nobitsura Kage is probably going to take a lot out of them.
Yeah, thing about that - I don't think you ever come into contact with the guys themselves in the first game. The assumption is that they're inside the armor (since Xing explicitly asks Wang to kill his body) and the ones you see in the flesh - (part of) Xing, Hoji and Enra - are actually human-sized. So if they survived the Nobitsura Kage (mind you, the entire point of that weapon being that they shouldn't) it's not that much of a stretch to expect them to have crawled out of the armors once the homicidal maniac hopped back to Earth. I also seem to vaguely recall Hoji cracking some kind of joke about Gozu actually being pretty small under all that armor.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 31, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The only person who took the full brunt of the Nobitsura Kage was Enra. The rest of the time Wang had the incomplete version of it. Not that he ever used it against bosses, mind. I'm pretty sure he just bulletted them down.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, uhh...

Hoji did too.

:smith:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Kurieg posted:

I'm glad that you've finally latched onto the Sword beams, I used those all the time in the first game.

It took me a while to learn just how useful they were, but now I'm hooked.

As for the armor, I assume that Hoji crafted them to be new, actual bodies, rather than a 'Mecha suit' situation that they can hop in and out of. (I'm sure they could still return to normal at will, but that's largely irrelevant) That would explain their wispy appearance in the first game when Hoji yanks them out and sucks their chi.

Anyway, we've almost met the full cast, which means we're about to get deeeeep into the lore. The next update might be a while, since it'll require a little more than a brief synopsis of a backstory.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

McKilligan posted:

As for the armor, I assume that Hoji crafted them to be new, actual bodies, rather than a 'Mecha suit' situation that they can hop in and out of. (I'm sure they could still return to normal at will, but that's largely irrelevant) That would explain their wispy appearance in the first game when Hoji yanks them out and sucks their chi.

It could be that some of their power remains inside the suits even when they exit them. Sort of a "The One Ring" kind of situation where they had to bind some of their power into the suits to become stronger at the expense of being dependent on them to operate at full capacity.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Still coming down from the Holiday highs, but we're finally about to be introduced to the whole cast -

Lots to unpack here - we're finally introduced to Gozu and Ammeona - the two ancients whom we've only very briefly met in SW1. Again, you can see a lot of very choppy editing /splicing / dialogue that doesn't seem to flow very well. Kamiko goes from grieving over Smith to furious with Wang to nonchalant and snarky about Ammeona all in the space of about 5 minutes. I'd love to know if there were other scenes between these ones that spaced them out a bit more, but it all feels very rushed. Inidividually I really like the writing and each scene plays out just fine, but back-to-back like this induces some pretty severe emotional whiplash.

Gozu seems to have inherited the same height deformity as Mezu - he barely even comes up to Wang's chest. Oddly enough, Ammeona seems to be to scale. It's also never quite explained why Wang has such a hate-boner for Gozu, not that it needs explaining per se, but Wang seems to give him way more poo poo than anyone else. Still, gently caress Gozu I guess.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

For a palace of pleasure, you'd think Ameonna would make the entire place look a little more inviting.

And aww I really liked Smith :(

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah, what was Kamiko's deal there? There was literally nothing to get upset about, and just goes and flips her lid for no reason. Maybe she's just taking out her frustration on Wang?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

Yeah, what was Kamiko's deal there? There was literally nothing to get upset about, and just goes and flips her lid for no reason. Maybe she's just taking out her frustration on Wang?

Yeah, that was my take on it as well. Kamiko just watched her mentor die, and has to take the anger and frustration out on someone. Wang's the closest, so he gets both barrels, especially since he then goes and lets the mutated Kamiko get away. Smith gave him one final task, and he blew it.

Then Ameonna shows up and Kamiko goes from "Wang, why are you so stupid?" to "Wait a minute, what's she doing here?"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And to be fair this is Wang we're talking about. He makes an effort to piss everyone off in the immediate vicinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Use grip of darkness against the drones. And in general. I had to force myself to use the spells at first but they really pay off.

• Locked thread