Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Business Gorillas posted:

here's a summary of the argument about identity politics:

a leftist: "we need to fight for both social justice and economic justice. you can't have one without the other"

a neoliberal: "we need to fight for social justice that won't affect my bank account"

Byolante posted:

Because neoliberals use it as a wedge issue to divide classes so they won't unite on economic issues

I'm not emptyquoting but I should be because these are the only two things that need to be posted in this thread, again and again, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
"White, black, gay, straight, trans, cis, man or woman -- we all deserve food, shelter, medical care, and opportunities to better our lives and the lives of our families"

*bursts into thread, read-faced and panting*

NO YOU ACTUALLY WANT IS TO SYSTEMATICALLY CRUSH ALL NONWHITE NONGAY NONTRANS PEOPLE YOU VILE RATFUCKER

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
check it out here's what the blackest transest satanist and the whitest straightest christian want:

- food
- shelter
- safety

but we can't talk about this because it is bernie bro

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 3, 2016

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bip Roberts posted:

Would fighting housing discrimination or hate crimes be ID politics?

I'm not sure if you mean Identity Politics or ~IDPOL~ but like I and so many people in this thread have said that there is no reason why we can't or shouldn't fight housing discrimination or hate crimes or whatever else that affects mainly or exclusively minorities while at the same time fighting for the safety and security of the poor even if some of them happen to be - horror of horrors - white! (or straight or cis &c &c)

You might even say these struggles are...inexorably linked?!

I'm of the opinion that progress made towards one is worthless or at least vastly impoverished without equal progress towards the other.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bip Roberts posted:

So you are for ID politics then?

If that is what you mean by ID politics I guess I am, friend!

Waiting breathlessly over here for your clever gotcha.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bip Roberts posted:

People need to clarify when they use the term ID politics if they mean good things or bad things. Some people seem to use it for bad things and other people mean good things. I'm confused.

Oh. I thought you were trying to set me up for something so I apologize for being a dick.
I am "for" identity politics - if we're going to use it to mean progress in or towards antiracism, feminism, GLBT rights etc. etc. - as any decent, sane person should be. I don't think there's a poster in this thread that isn't. The frustration is that we can't talk about economic justice or class struggle without... well, what you can see going on in the thread right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

OwlFancier posted:

I mean you certainly can if you don't feel the need to preface it with "enough about that stupid minority crap what we really need to talk about is how great communism is!"

Honestly, though, is anyone doing that here? Maybe I am mistaken or too easily projecting my opinions on to other people but I haven't seen anyone disagree that the issues of identity politics aren't a vital component of economic and social justice.

• Locked thread