Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Brainiac Five posted:

Key for left-wing people to start using "identity politics" is to have a theory of politics wherein all of politics emerges from a single root. Because of the way our society is structured, most of the time, this root is class. Thus, race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, age, etc. all are manifestations of capitalist social classes and any effort which doesn't align with the speaker's understanding of communism or anarchism is thus invalid "identity politics". Because most of the people in this thread are liberals and not leftists, they blame "neoliberals" for inventing the idea of gay marriage and not reactionary bourgeois homosexuality itself.

Trying to boil down all of history and human action to an all encompassing grand narrative with one root cause is an endeavor doomed to failure.

It is self-satisfying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

1. An insistence that fiscal issues do not intersect with social issues (not even neccessary equal progress, just that they're effectively chained together).

That's not quite the issue. The problem is that you should, as a leftist, always harbor a degree of suspicion when people bellow It's the Economy Stupid because it can and does enable a narrative that all social ills will go away if we just focus on economy/class issues. It's not even a conscious thing necessarily but rhetoric like this has been used in a number of developing nations over the course of the last hundred years to marginalize, sideline, or otherwide defang women's liberation movements and the like.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mr. Belding posted:

This stupid poo poo again. Well if someone says that then we will tell them that just fixing the economy won't erase racism. Right?

No I guess that won't work. We have to avoid addressing real problems because someone might pretend they are the only problems. What other area of life do you apply this to? Like you can't admit your house smells like poo poo because the trash can is full because that would justify the "narrative" that you don't actually need a shower?

I will put this in simple sentences foe you.

People pushing a grand narrative are going to sideline one issue or the other. Neither a focus on economic or social justice alone is enough.

• Locked thread