Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Because it is a knife that cuts both ways.

It is often times ironically bigoted and prejudiced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Calibanibal posted:

It's already been pointed out that all identities other than class represent false consciousnesses created by the bourgeoisie to turn us against each other, so might as well close the thread

A way to wrap everything up in a nice little bow is to then say that negative consequences of constructed identities must be fought against in the name of class unity. Also, send in the tanks.

Edit: or that class unity and fighting the system of economic oppression requires comity and tanks.

Edit2: anyway the point being you can, if you are crafty, use the idea of identity to unify a base around a common goal, and to engender empathy amongst people from vastly different backgrounds, instead of whatever the Hillary campaign did which was to ham-fistedly invoke it which de-motivated a large portion of the voters in the rust belt states. Hillary won the popular vote but to get the kind of broad-based appeal and motivation that winning in all states requires would need a message that everyone can hang their hat on. That type of message is usually centered around jobs and money.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 3, 2016

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

JeffersonClay posted:

Identity politics is about dismantling racism.

Unless you are a moron and invoke it haphazardly which is what happened.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Death Bot posted:

Basically white people have no experience dealing with race issues, so any amount of that stress just causes meltdowns. When a minority starts seeing articles that say "turns out everyone is racist and everythings stacked against you" they say "yeah duh" but a white person seeing the same poo poo has been tricked by American culture into thinking that that isn't true.

The thing is, it's not like giving up on "identity politics" is actually going to win any arguments or votes. You'll lose the support of anti-racist activists and voters, and even if they don't flip that just makes D votes go down, and there will just be a new battleground that Repubs will be obstinate and awful about. And the dogwhistling won't even go away.

All talk of 'privilege' is just a total political non-seller. Academically, sure, but if you are not going to really motivate people you accuse of being "privileged". Very few people are going to look in the mirror at the horror show of their life and say, "yeah I am privileged. I'm voting for the party that appears to be accusing me of it!"

Edit: I dont really mean like, you you, more like the royal you.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
Also attempting to 'fight racism' by referring to huge populations of people exclusively by their skin color and acting as though they are all the same is just not a good plan.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

JeffersonClay posted:

This is not what happened, despite what Breitbart would have you believe.

A huge part of discussion surrounded the election was "the black vote" and "the hispanic vote".

Edit: Oh, and all the talk about how changing demographics totally impacting the trajectory of the nation.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

apokaladle posted:

In your wording, you explicitly say that economic focus is for "working class whites". Not underserved rural populations, but whites. There is a rich history of economic advances for white people happening at the expense of people of color in this country.

In the election postmortems, there is a lot of talk of having to pacify the angry white voters in the name of pragmatism.

This is really not a good way to frame the discussion.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

stone cold posted:

I can hold social leftist and fiscal leftist positions without having to deal with leftboiis telling me to shut my whore mouth. Small wonder I don't want to engage so-called "fiscal leftists." Also, lol at whatever your abandonment complex is.

Did you quote the wrong person? It is like you just responded to something he didn't say and are complaining about people tell you to shut up and nobody really did that. If you don't want to engage stop posting?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

stone cold posted:

I am saying that by so called "fiscal leftists" in my life I have been told to shut my whore mouth, and that I can hold fiscally left values without being one of those toxic idiots. I'm sorry for being unclear, you pedantic wantwit.

Oh, okay. It is like you are attempting to show that identity politics is toxic.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

khwarezm posted:

What are you going to do to dismantle identity politics?

Be realistic and don't just fall back on the standby of 'Full Communism now'.

The issue is more of a packaging or framing problem not the goal itself. A large section of the identity politics peddlers appear disturbingly excited about bringing "whites" to confess guilt in something. The solution is to sell a political message with broad appeal that everyone can subscribe to (with as little thinking involved as possible) that necessarily excludes racism, etc. Most of the language is available in the US founding documents. A good way to sell people on ideas they might not necessarily want to adopt is to appeal to the commonly held virtues that people think are positives about themselves and about the country.

Again the problem isn't so much to get more votes, but to motivate people that were not motivated to vote in the last election who were apparently concentrated in rural rust belt areas but also includes apparently a number of minority non-voters who were not motivated by the message that was being sent. A good way to motivate them is to talk about poo poo that is relevant to their daily lives, which in rural America probably doesn't include minorities since there are basically none in their town but you are probably going to hit the mark if you talk about jobs and money. Also people nearly always think of themselves in positive terms and most people think of themselves as 'normal' so either explicitly or implicitly assigning bad things to people is a good way to not motivate them. This is tricky when dealing with a government since individuals draw a certain amount of identity and pride in the nation's or State's history; criticizing oppressive government practices needs to be done in a way that does not implicate the average citizen. A good rule in politics is to always provide the supporters of the policy you are trying to change as graceful of a possible exit as humanly possible even if those supporters are loathsome as hell.

All of the college campus identity politics is just horrible poo poo explicitly designed to exclude people. To the extent that any of it is mirrored in broader politics it is a complete mistake.

Edit: If identity must be called upon then typically invoke it to draw as many positive commonalities with everyone in the country as possible. To the extent that anyone/any group needs to be criticized just don't since that is poo poo politics.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 3, 2016

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

stone cold posted:

Why can't minorities shut the hell up and join us in the class war? :qq:

Let me denigrate their struggles as college campus nonsense though.

Go join the Republican Party, you piece of poo poo.

You are so irrationally angry that you have rendered yourself illiterate and retarded.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
nm

Edit: hosed up a post. :shobon:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

deep web creep posted:

Honestly, though, is anyone doing that here? Maybe I am mistaken or too easily projecting my opinions on to other people but I haven't seen anyone disagree that the issues of identity politics aren't a vital component of economic and social justice.

There is a lot of ardently pro identity people who immediately assume that any more discussion of economics means that you hate minorities. So the opposite of "enough about that stupid minority crap what we really need to talk about is how great communism is!" is definitely true.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

stone cold posted:

Man who hates minorities, LGBTQ, and women also hate disabled and mentally challenged people.

I don't think you know what 'hate' means.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

stone cold posted:

I'm glad you, a white gay cisman, speak for all minorities.

gently caress yourself sideways.

Oh I see, you are a clown here to amuse us with hilariously over the top reactions.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

bag em and tag em posted:

Why don't people like identity politics?

"Well it's because..."

Haha gotcha racist scum!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

You are literal trash. I hope that can put things into perspective for you. The reason is that the sum total of your life is apparently to have poo poo ideas.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

You are an unfunny version of LF. Though I am pretty sure that the funniest version of LF actually joined the YPG and died in Syria.

• Locked thread