Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
People keep pussyfooting around this.

Let me be clear.

Samantha Bee is the archetypal "All Bernie Bros are sexist racists" caricature (except that she actually exists and has a national platform, unlike the racist-sexist Bernie Bros she railed against) but while she was working to put the "bully" in Bully pulpit, she was also actively opposing school integration in her children's district.

"Identity politics" are fine and good. All politics is local, so it makes sense to appeal to local constituencies. "The solution to all of our economics woes are more sexual, gender and ethnic minority CEOs" is not. The latter is what Neoliberals were (and are) pushing.

Bill Clinton ran on "It's the economy, stupid." Reducing economic concerns to a matter of facile talking points doesn't appeal to anyone. Social justice is a necessary part of economic justice (and it has been historically undervalued). But you can't have social justice without economic justice.

"Black Marxism" is an important canonical text because we need to incorporate racial justice into Marxism. On the other hand, Pentagonized racial justice is utterly hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, to be fair more diverse corporate executives is still an improvement over the status quo. I mean, obviously there are many other things that would be much better, but it's still a good thing.

It's a great thing!

But it's not "top ten" list material, much less "the defining element of my plan for economic justice".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Schizotek posted:

Good thing it wasn't!

Yes, Hillary "These are my principles and if you don't like them, well, I have others" Clinton had a well developed and presented economic plan.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The courts are wonderfully consistent: white people, rich people and police officers get off Scott free.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Being a black male is illegal in the United States. "Extrajudicial" killings of African Americans is part of this policy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'd like to point out that the IWW's biggest* success recently is getting loving tip jars at a restaurant chain.

Tips, not higher wages, is what the IWW can offer you!

Direct action gets the tips!

Your boss doesn't need you, you need tips!

Look for the Union Label on the tip jar!

The secret of tips is organization!

*The one they talk about the most, there could be some other better one that is more obscure

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

FuzzySkinner posted:

We still have one in my neck of the woods called "Louisville, Ohio".

http://sundown.tougaloo.edu/sundowntownsshow.php?id=121

There's a very creepy vibe in that town and it's residents. The people in there look like a cross between sinister and inbred. I played football against their team in HS. Their fans spat on us, and it's been alleged that they hurled racial slurs at our african american halfback. (I cannot confirm this, just going off of stories my friends told me).

Even white people avoid that place like the plague. My old pizza joint boss couldn't stand the hatred there and bailed like a motherfucker.

I've bolded the unacceptable hate-speech. We should strive to be "person" forward, so it would be "they hurled racial slurs at our African American player with kyphosis".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Business Gorillas posted:

consider striving your "person" to stop posting

I believe that owning people is wrong. I think considering people in unwilling bondage to be "scare quotes" "people" is deeply troubling.

Dehumanization is how slavery begins.

• Locked thread