Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

Software engineers and lawyers being in a different social class from retail workers is pure liberalism.

Do you mean classical liberalism which emphasizes "free market" capitalism? Cause that is practically nonextant.

I do agree, however, the Left should have never got involved with identity politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

stone cold posted:

Usually dumbass quasi whiteboy cishet leftists get mad about identity politics because they "distract from the class struggle."

But do they ever address the racism, LGBTphobia, and sexism? No, because that has nothing to do with their identity.

These are distractions from the underlying problems: class. Elevating issues of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc above class does nothing but serve the interests of capital, as we have seen. Thus why liberals who prioritize those issues are reactionary, since capital wants to divide or unite us on its whim.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

This question implies that racism and sexism are more or less eternal, since it's meant to get him to say that it will take forever to get rid of them. This seems inconsistent with the idea that they were invented by capitalism, since surely in that case capitalism would be stronger than they.

Yes. We know the form of racism in America is the result of European colonialism at the behest of capital. The kind of racism that is opposed never existed before the development of capitalism.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

Or we could look to earlier joint companies and conclude that capitalism does, in fact, go back to Catalhoyuk, which is not even wrong.

Sorry but this argument is laughable. Anyone can trace whatever outrage to some historical event in the past, which is what you seem set out to do. But you only do that by ignoring the complexities of societies and cultures.

So simplifications are ridiculous.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

What? This is nonsense. You don't know what Catalhoyuk is, so you should have asked or discreetly googled it, instead of making a brainless post like this.
My argument is racism as we know it today is a modern concept, its simply not how people in the classical, middle ages, or Renaissance era on how people were categorized.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

No it isn't, your argument is that racism emerged from capitalism, and you ignored the evidence posted against it to repeat yourself like a parrot, except parrots are about three, five times smarter than you.

What evidence against it? Seriously dude enough with the snarky smug insults, you are out to lunch on this topic. Go humble yourself by taking a simple survey course on the middle ages and the Renaissance. Or read Othello. There was simply no biological theory that supported racial supremacy before colonialism arose.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

The problem, Neurolimal, is that putting forward a candidate who did what the anti-identity politics people wanted, failed. Democrats decided not to pick him as their first choice. So, either you can say he didn't go far enough on opposing identity politics, or you can conclude that minorities need to be reeducated on where their real interests lie, or you can conclude that your obsession with identity politics is the mark of a child, and put away childish things.

I wrote an entire loving post about how the temporal relationship doesn't work out with capitalism originating racism unless we redefine capitalism. Like, colonizing and economically exploiting an area isn't something only capitalists can do

What other economic model of colonialism is there besides a kind of capitalism which is distinct from modern capitalism? Look at what I bolded, whoever does that is exactly a capitalist.

Besides I didn't take issue with your post except my objection of tracing a cause to an event or person in history, it just overlooks complexities. That's what it seemed like, but I'm ok with my assumptions being wrong.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, I mean, dude, if you're going to say that Roman latifundia were capitalist, or that the Greek cities on Syracuse were capitalist, you can, but that gets us back to Sumeria being capitalist since they had mercantile capitalist ventures, and some financial capitalism. It's a definition that is really not instrumentally useful for anticapitalism as politics.

Sure I agree with that, and I've agreed with much of what you have posted here thus far (especially the no oppression against white gays). I'd rather put aside our minor squabble and focus on the more important discussion of class, which is what we should be having and not more identity politics.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah this is why I think that poster is right. No one could be this obsessed with people who disagree with them in small areas. You are some alt right troll. Go back to the daily stormer.

He's like some kind of dictator, "you are the wrong stripe of liberal, so you are a brainless loving idiot who should die". Instead of saying "Hey liberals maybe you should consider x, y z" but it comes across in such a hostile, condescending manner that nobody is going to be persuaded by it.

Can't we tell him we aren't your enemy? I get liberals aren't as radical as you want them to be but calm down. It's not just about what you want, but all of us, democratically, should decide what we want. If we democratically decide we want a fascist regime then that's what we deserve to get.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

Whoa man, if you've got some suppressed suicidal ideation, that's all on you. I don't think I've ever said anyone should die in this thread.

All one has to do is see your colorful rap sheet history that proves I'm right. Do you really think insulting other liberals is the appropriate tact to get your views across and spur one to critically think about them? Or is it you don't really care but enjoy belittling others while feeling you are intellectually superior?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

But I'm not a liberal? I'm a communist.

I know you aren't because true leftists upset liberals and they get very defensive, as you see in this thread. I've been called a racist, homophobe, etc in the past here eventhough I don't identify as a liberal (nor a communist). While I do have an appreciation for zeal, perhaps its best to follow a proper decorum. I know SA isn't the most polite place on the internet but abrasion can turn good ideas into enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schizotek posted:

Hot take: all of this is a reaction to berniebros being pointed out that their beloved weed wizard was about as popular as the clap with minorities when it came time to vote in the primary.

e: half serious tbh.

It's amusing whenever you post because I always imagine your avatar pic saying it in a grumpy fashion. Where is your avatar from anyway?

• Locked thread