Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Because it's the ultimate victory of style over substance, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Byolante posted:

Because neoliberals use it as a wedge issue to divide classes so they won't unite on economic issues

Also this.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Torpor posted:

All talk of 'privilege' is just a total political non-seller. Academically, sure, but if you are not going to really motivate people you accuse of being "privileged". Very few people are going to look in the mirror at the horror show of their life and say, "yeah I am privileged. I'm voting for the party that appears to be accusing me of it!"

But grandstanding gives me the good feels! I cannot exist in the same reality as people who don't not check their privilege when leaving the house in the morning! What do you mean those people also vote?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SickZip posted:

Its absolutely poisonous to democracy. Once politics starts revolving around identity, the decline to tribal politics is inevitable and any concept of discourse goes out the window.

This is very, very true. It's satisfying to consider conservatives regressive assholes who need to have a boot stomp on their face forever, but unless you're willing to execute them all you have to deal with their existence and at least sometimes come up with compromise solutions even if those solutions are not ideologically pure.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

I have no loving clue what you clods are talking about in this thread. Everyone's talking past each other with smug satisfaction in their righteous cause without listening to a goddamn thing anyone says. Apparently there are 49 different definitions of identity politics and no one knows what the gently caress the problem is.

A good summary of identity politics.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

stone cold posted:

I'm glad you, a white gay cisman, speak for all minorities.

gently caress yourself sideways.

This is a few pages back, but it's peak_identity_politics.txt.

You can't dismiss an argument just because you think the person making it has the wrong ethnicity and/or sexual orientation.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Woozy posted:

ACTUALLY, I think you'll find that a dozen pages of nothing but innuendo and posturing in lieu of any actual point or really even thought is incredibly boring!

I'm going to put this really whacky hypothesis out there... bear with me... what if Effectronica Sockpuppet Five is actually not arguing in good faith?

Squinty posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/03/politics/haim-saban-keith-ellison-anti-semite/
https://theintercept.com/2016/12/04/the-smear-campaign-against-keith-ellison-is-repugnant-but-reveals-much-about-washington/

It's a story that will magically appear whenever he threatens the democratic establishment and magically disappear when he goes back to toeing the party line as a congressman. It's basically Hillary's Jeremiah Wright attack, back when Obama was seen as a threat to the democratic establishment.

It's basic power politics, you use whatever gets the largest number of retards voters riled up to smear your opponents, because it is meaningless whether any of it is true.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

It's interesting to see Identity Politics being taken up on the Left because in the old days it was heavily reviled and used almost universally by the Right.

For anyone who isn't old enough to remember, this is what Identify Politics looks like when Republicans do it.

The backlash to this kind of thing and the fact that the Left's response was to appear sane and let the Right's foaming at the mouth craziness speak for itself is what allowed us to make so much headway in the Culture War.

The implication, and I do think this needs to be spelled out word for word given the quality of posting in this thread, being that currently the social left is setting itself up for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

stone cold posted:

He posted a thread in GBS where, for fun, he and his fellow gbs morons, heckled random women on okcupid.

Perhaps you could post evidence of this crime against humanity that allegedly got commited by a Something Awful forums poster on the Something Awful forums. For example, by posting a link to the thread.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

Well it's a lot harder to poo poo on (non-white) identity politics if you recognize it's a reaction to white identity politics.

so what you're saying is identity politics have ruined everything, because out-reactonarying the reactionaries turned out to be a bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

The flip side of this is that when non-white or non-male candidates take power, it's almost always in the face of disaster. Studies have found that companies are more likely to put women or minorities in the CEO position when the company is facing significant crisis, and similar trends have been observed in politics and law as well. This so-called "glass cliff" means that "always do a stellar job" is poor advice because they're often set up to fail from the start.

Thatcher's legacy isn't nearly as bad as you make out. Certainly, many people have strong feelings about her, but just as many love her as hate her. Far from being "widely hated", she's often ranked as one of the better British PMs of the 20th century, placing up there with guys like Churchill. She's reviled by the left and by Scots, sure, but the mainstream perception of her is much more mixed.

Thatcher was a natural disaster that befell Britain. The only people who like her live in South England around London, which is where she siphoned all the stolen wealth off to.

• Locked thread