Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Just gonna leave this here cause y'all are loving up the usage of virtue signalling as it was originally coined, and using the alt-right corruption of the original term. It mainly focuses on the alt-right/MRA use of the word, the relevant bit is about a minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmM872874A

LunarShadow fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

stone cold posted:

Aw man, y'all hosed up! human being originally meant bundle of sticks, you're just using the corruption! A chink is a flaw, y'all! Dyke means dam, c'mon!

Thanks for the help, dumbass!

I agree with you and was calling out Neuroliminal on his bullshit, though I seem to have hosed that up myself. My point was mostly that word has been thoroughly corrupted by the alt-right, and another main point of that video was that even if it is virtue signalling it doesn't mean the person is wrong. Basically, who cares if someone sticking up for minorities is virtue-signaling, it doesn't make them wrong that somebody is a racist/sexist/transphobic fuckstick. So my sincerest apologies for not making that clearer.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

It is wrong though, if the signal is over an imaginary post.

Then you don't need to mention virtue signaling, you just point out why they are wrong. Virtue signalling is a bullshit cop out for saying "I can't refute your idea so I am just gonna say you are trying to score points with some nebulous other party, therefore because you aren't sincere as determined by me you must be wrong."

edit: Is all good, I got a bit ahead of myself in an attempt to be brief at the expense of my point.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure. I don't think anyone in this thread have said that economic issues aren't important or shouldn't be addressed (though admittedly, I don't pay much attention to Effectronica's posts). I'm just annoyed that a bunch of people seem to think that racial issues need to take a backseat to it. Fixing wage and class disparities won't make racism stop being a problem, it'll just make it easier to ignore.

And that literally every time that minority, especially racial, issues take a backseat to economics, the minority issues tend to get ignored by the population at large until there is another economic issue to be resolved. It's only when minority issues get pushed to the forefront that they get resolved, rather than relying on the benevolence of fair-weather allies.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

What I think is being glossed over is that people aren't worried that economic populists will (necessarily) intentionally leave out minorities, it's more that the special circumstance that surround economic equality for said minorities (housing discrimination, workplace discrimination, etc) will be unintentionally neglected in a "rising tide raises all boats" appeal. These worries need to be assuaged, not just dismissed with the aforementioned sentiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Sundown towns are still very much a thing. I refuse to stop in Vidor, Tx because of its history. It's not something I am willing to risk my life with.

Arab, Alabama is another place you should avoid for pretty much the same reason. I am white and still avoid that fuckin place.

• Locked thread