Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Identity politics is making an appeal to demographics other than the user of the term "identity politics", at least in the context of this past election.

But more seriously, as others have said, a lot of confused people insist that class and identity can't exist under the same tent somehow, and yes, corporatists had a hand in passing this off as common knowledge. On the other hand it was also the mantra of the Bernie-supporter-Clinton-apologist types like myself that just wanted people upset that the class war wasn't coming to suck it up and vote against the fascist, a stance that had some merit at the time but the farther we get from the election the more holes I see in it.

Business Gorillas posted:

here's a summary of the argument about identity politics:

a leftist: "we need to fight for both social justice and economic justice. you can't have one without the other"

a neoliberal: "we need to fight for social justice that won't affect my bank account"

Going back to most of the reponses to your posts in USPol the latter would be more like "go burn a cross bernie-bro". It wasn't a conversation most wanted to have at the time. They were scared and circled the wagons.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

Freddie deBoer wrote a good piece after the election with the idea that it is not the politics of identity that are the problem, but the politics of deference, "that people of a progressive bent have a duty to suspend their critical judgment and engage in unthinking support of whoever claims to speak for the movement against racism and sexism."

This is by no means a rejection of the ongoing struggle to make the American left inclusive of minority groups. Instead, it is a warning against those who respond to reasoned debate and criticism by using their self-asserted participation in that struggle as a bludgeon against those who might challenge them. Though these individuals are hardly representative of their respective movements, they tend to be more ardently vocal in a way that does far more harm than simply pushing away allies with differing opinions on how to move forward—they ward off sympathetic onlookers who might otherwise be swayed to the cause. Though they may honestly have their cause's best interests at heart, their self-righteous zealotry is utterly toxic if we are looking to win at the ballot box.

I agree that this is an observable phenomenon but for the sake of discussion could you share something you regard to be a well-reasoned criticism of inclusiveness or equal rights?

Excluding the potential (operative word) for "deference politics" itself which I concede as a given.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

otoh i am enjoying the deafening silence of the "poor privilege definitely exists!!!!" people at this point in time, i hope it lasts

What is this? Do you mean poor white privilege?

• Locked thread