Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Have you thought that maybe we need to allow unions to exclude blacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Identity Politics is not the enemy of fiscal leftism. It's a roadblock at best, a bizarre internalization of the labels granted by the elite to divide them, taken with pride.

How is it even a roadblock? "Identity politics" divorced from the pejorative title are unambiguously good things.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Because most people don't even know the word and its application to their problems, and those that do have an overwhelmingly high chance of associating it with kneejerk "I guess we need to become RACIST because we need poorWHITE PEOPLE" overreactions that I quoted a few posts ago.

Ignoring this tribal mindset doesn't make those good things disappear.

Have you thought that maybe you could try a little harder and have both.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

Who is saying we can't have both? Holy gently caress.

Isn't that literally what people mean when they say they don't like identity politics?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

deep web creep posted:

check it out here's what the blackest transest satanist and the whitest straightest christian want:

- food
- shelter
- safety

but we can't talk about this because it is bernie bro

Would fighting housing discrimination or hate crimes be ID politics?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

No. How many times does it need to be reiterated that social and economic justice are not mutually exclusive?

So identity politics (social justice) are good then?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm confused. Is ID politics only when good things are done but only when they are done in a bad way?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's actually because all the people Hillary's husband put in prison weren't allowed to vote.

But Bernie also voted to imprison them too?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Because the VAWA was attached. He had the option to not vote for a bill he wanted, or vote for the bill he wanted attached to a bill he thought was bad but was supported by the communities it would affect. He made the best possible choice by opting to vote for the bill, but caution others of its potential exploitability and future harm.

Do you think intentionally misrepresenting these individual facts helps or hinders the argument that ID leftists hold contempt for and superiority over other leftists?

I bet everyone is glad he feels real bad about it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

deep web creep posted:

I'm not sure if you mean Identity Politics or ~IDPOL~ but like I and so many people in this thread have said that there is no reason why we can't or shouldn't fight housing discrimination or hate crimes or whatever else that affects mainly or exclusively minorities while at the same time fighting for the safety and security of the poor even if some of them happen to be - horror of horrors - white! (or straight or cis &c &c)

You might even say these struggles are...inexorably linked?!

I'm of the opinion that progress made towards one is worthless or at least vastly impoverished without equal progress towards the other.

So you are for ID politics then?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

deep web creep posted:

If that is what you mean by ID politics I guess I am, friend!

Waiting breathlessly over here for your clever gotcha.

People need to clarify when they use the term ID politics if they mean good things or bad things. Some people seem to use it for bad things and other people mean good things. I'm confused.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Confounding Factor posted:

Sure I agree with that, and I've agreed with much of what you have posted here thus far (especially the no oppression against white gays). I'd rather put aside our minor squabble and focus on the more important discussion of class, which is what we should be having and not more identity politics.

Why are you against both? Can two things not be focused on at once?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

I was referring to the "out of context" part.

Bip Roberts on Sander's participation in the crime bill, and [unmemorable poster] chopping up posts to suggest I want to ignore social leftism are two notable examples.

How can a vote be "out of context"? He voted for it and people suffer today. I'm glad he "feels bad". That helps.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

She should not say if. They should be broken up. Period. Also why not instead say I'll do it and support everyone when you are denied equal pay. When they say your lifestyle prevents them from renting to you. When they say your gender means they cannot provide your health.

So she said good stuff but didn't say all the right good stuff all the time?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

I'm a big baby who can't accept the fact that maybe if I hadn't shamed all the Bernie supporters during the primary they would've help mi abuela win.
gahahaha

Shaming berniebros was funny at the time and is still funny today somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

rkajdi posted:

HI44/PUMA was a thing, but I got the impression it was a much smaller group of people. Could be vocality thing, since we did have our own prime examples floating around during the election, whereas I don't think we had any Hillary lost causers in '08.

A big difference is Clinton 2008 core demographics are people who have to be convinced not to vote while Sanders 2016 core demographics are people who have to be convinced to vote.

• Locked thread