Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mustang posted:

What's with so many places putting certain items behind locked cabinets and in walled off "store inside a store" type deals? The cost of constructing these, the person manning the register, and reduced sales because of the inconvenience to shoppers, this move just doesn't make any sense to me. I get that they're claimed to be due to shoplifting but I don't think they're going to work as planned.

Anything that's locked up or inside these "stores inside a store" I'm just going to go home and order off the Amazon. Don't they think Amazon has eaten into their sales enough by this point?

It seems to only be national/regional chains that are doing this. More local establishments seem to be able to avoid doing this, and even typically have real people behind cash registers instead of only having self checkout available.

Like how can Town & Country in Seattle offer much better customer experiences than a national chain like Safeway? There's more employees on the floor, multiple registers with cashiers, and they still provide baskets.

Safeway on the other hand has gotten rid of baskets, locked up tons of stuff either in cabinets or inside the "store inside a store", and rarely ever any cashiers behind a register.

It is in fact to either address shrink or (in cases you're probably aware of, like tobacco) to comply with age restriction law. I do not claim it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Most of the new cases are shrink related. The real origin of the shrink is debatable, but shoplifting was eventually publicly acknowledged to not be significantly higher than in the past by retail groups.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mustang posted:

What's with so many places putting certain items behind locked cabinets and in walled off "store inside a store" type deals? The cost of constructing these, the person manning the register, and reduced sales because of the inconvenience to shoppers, this move just doesn't make any sense to me. I get that they're claimed to be due to shoplifting but I don't think they're going to work as planned.

Anything that's locked up or inside these "stores inside a store" I'm just going to go home and order off the Amazon. Don't they think Amazon has eaten into their sales enough by this point?

It seems to only be national/regional chains that are doing this. More local establishments seem to be able to avoid doing this, and even typically have real people behind cash registers instead of only having self checkout available.

Like how can Town & Country in Seattle offer much better customer experiences than a national chain like Safeway? There's more employees on the floor, multiple registers with cashiers, and they still provide baskets.

Safeway on the other hand has gotten rid of baskets, locked up tons of stuff either in cabinets or inside the "store inside a store", and rarely ever any cashiers behind a register.

They're "saving money" on labor because slashing labor to the bone is the last place for those big national chains to be able to squeeze blood from a stone, beyond the price gouging that they could afford to do thanks to the pandemic. Most national chains have been in a downward style in customer service and store quality for years, and in fact quite a bit of it most likely has to do with losing market share against online storefronts. The store within a store and locked kiosks are inconvenient for people shopping in store, but it's not going to bother someone who's ordering online and picking up, for instance, or sending a gig economy slave to go do their bidding.

e: many of the store shrink issues in places where there actually is a measurable shoplifting problem could be solved by simply staffing the store appropriately so that you don't have like 4 underpaid and overworked employees trying to cover 9000 sq ft of store. Simply having a couple people walking around and asking people if they need help is a deterrent for many shoplifters. in fact this is part of the problem. for as much as the stores bitch and moan about shoplifting and cry crocodile tears, the shrink is built right into the business models and it's less costly to just right off a certain amount of shrink than to hire, train, and maintain an appropriate level of staffing for a store.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 3, 2024

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Corporate execs: Oh boo hoo people might steal some baskets from our multi-billion dollar corporation.. better get rid of them entirely!! :rolleyes:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, I went into a Target the other day(the ‘nice’ Target as opposed to the ‘slightly ghetto Target’ on the other side of town), and EVERYTHING pharmacy-related was behind glass, like $2.00 band-aids and $2.50 generic ibuprofen. Meanwhile, three aisles over, the $25 makeup products were right there in the open.

Of course there were no employees anywhere around and no button or anything to push in order to get someone to unlock the Asprin Gates, so I did what any goon would do - cursed under my breath, went home and ordered my stuff from Amazon.

I will say, this will either bite them in the rear end - the normally bustling area was eerily vacant and the shelves were full, or they’re trying to get out of that market entirely and are looking for an excuse to do so.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Target yearns for the days of the mom and pop shop to return. Ike Godsey is smiling down from heaven.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, I went into a Target the other day(the ‘nice’ Target as opposed to the ‘slightly ghetto Target’ on the other side of town), and EVERYTHING pharmacy-related was behind glass, like $2.00 band-aids and $2.50 generic ibuprofen. Meanwhile, three aisles over, the $25 makeup products were right there in the open.

I used to have a liquor store next door to where I lived, and they locked up all the Champagne but left expensive red wine -- more expensive than the Champagne -- right by the door, without even a security tag. It's bizarre how corporate paranoia works.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Reminds me of working at Walmart years ago, they grew obsessed that employees were stealing things and started checking every worker's bags at the door. Meanwhile the head middle manager was rolling around in a BMW and it was a running joke how he managed to afford the thing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
The real shrink is train hijackings making a comeback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The real shrink is train hijackings making a comeback

That’s slowed down a bit. Double brokerage scams and theft from drop trailers at distribution centers after delivery are what I’m seeing these days.