Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Didn't see it posted, but Sears is lopping off Craftsman and selling them to Black and Decker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A White Guy posted:

On the topic of dying retail chains, I discovered (To my utter fascination) that my rural country town has a Kmart in it. I went in out of a sense of morbid curiosity. It's like more expensive Walmart, too expensive to actually be Walmart, too lovely to be a Target. All the staff were wearing purple shirts with various cringe-inducing and canned slogans on it.

There was, until recently, a KMart in Macon, GA and I went in one day, also out of morbin curiosity.

It was incredibly unorganized, only three people were working, and they just had boxes of inventory out laying around still not unpacked. The electronics were all almost entirely knock offs, but overpriced, there was an abandoned Olan Mills Portrait Studio that hadn't been sealed off, a food court that was in disarray. It was kinda odd, like a gigantic ghost store.

Fried Watermelon posted:

One of my favorite Big Box stories just happened a few years ago.

Target decided to open up a bunch of stores in Canada and once they realized people didn't want a more expensive Wal-Mart with less stock the sales tanked. In a gross overeaction Target decided to close all 133 stores.

The best part is they decided to pay the CEO a severance more than all the other employees combined:

"Gregg Steinhafel took a total of $61 million U.S. from Target when he left the company last spring, according to Fortune's calculations. Meanwhile, the fund Target set up to pay employees as it winds down operations over the next four months is set at $56 million U.S. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/21/target-ceo-severance-canadian-workers_n_6517272.html

Its rather disgusting how many of these companies bitch and moan about minimum wage but give bad CEOs severance that would've paid minimum wage plus an extra 10% on top of that for their entire Retail staff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

exploded mummy posted:

There was a Sears home center or seth in near my apartment and no one moved in for 2 or 3 years after it went out.

Eventually the building was sold and it was turned into a car dealership las year.

The last 'Sears' near our house closed last year. Kind sad, because we bought our fridge and TV from there when we moved into our new house, and they were the only major appliance stores near to us. Also had a lot of Craftsman stuff.

Got turned into a Dollar General.