Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

RuanGacho posted:

Listen, guys, I need you to take this seriously so I know how to feel about vacancy taxes.

Please assist me to group think about this idea that is novel to me. If I apply a vacancy tax is it a viable way for me to force the return of experimental retail where everyone with a new sandwich shop and goth clothes boutique so they avoid paying the tax?

Presumably it would depend on the nature of the tax (when I tried for city council years ago I argued for fines to combat blight). You might wind up with a lot of Spirit Halloween stores where something stupid goes in just to fill the void. We had one storefront that rotated through a few businesses, one of which being named "hip hop clothing store" and owned/managed by what appeared to be an elderly chinese Mr. Rogers and that seemed to operate as a sort of "fell off a truck" Ross/TJ Maxx except more nonsensical and far, FAR less interesting than you're probably thinking.

I do still have the neon parrot sign I bought for $50 after they got evicted.

You'd also need to ensure the city/county is set up to actually handle the planning/permitting needs of things moving in. My city's permitting division is notorious for being exceptionally slow and incompetent; the current (hopefully permanent) tenant of hip hop clothing store space apparently had to directly appeal to the city council to intervene because the permits just languished. I've seen businesses come and go and a lot of the new tenants seem to take a weirdly long time to actually open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MiddleOne posted:

Just pointing out that this is hardly an unresolvable situation.
To an extent it can be. You may have to dump considerable manpower and political capital into making ED happen, and even then may result in more negatives than it's worth (does the city really want to own the property?). Hence the desire for more "neutral" means of encouraging filling the storefront, like vacancy taxes. Or, if you really want to ED something, and IANAL so I'm not sure if this is possible, some sort of blight punishment that stacks liens on vacant properties, eventually lowering the value to make ED worthwhile.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Nocturtle posted:

Whole Foods is strange in that it's generally overpriced but their 365 product line items are (sadly) often among the cheapest options in my area. However Whole Foods fresh produce is super-overpriced so I don't see how this acquisition helps Amazon in the area where grocery stores maintain a large advantage over online shopping. I guess we'll see!

My local Whole is reasonably priced on fruit/veg, highly competitive on dairy products, and expensive on meat. I live in an area with a lot of ag/dairy and a lot of that is organic, although my whole will also stock non organic if it's local. I suspect the pricing at a Whole is massively dependant upon local availability which seems... Not necessarily bad?

I'm guessing part of what Amazon is getting is access to produce suppliers and an established network of locations to install the Amazon pickup spots where people who use Amazon are likely to shop.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Raldikuk posted:

Prime video is pretty lame as far as included with prime for free content goes

It'll lose it soon but they've had all of HBO sans GoT and a few other recent series for the last few years. And some of their originals are are really good. Plus random good movies/TV. As part of the combined Prime value bundle it's a great deal.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Shouts a man in a stained wifebeater across a thousand miles of blasted desert as meth smoke rises lazily from his trailer.

Beachfront property ain't cheap, gotta make sacrifices somewhere.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

exploded mummy posted:

in the northeast almost all places are now using chip cards especially all the big chains

not sure about elsewhere

In Northern California almost all my purchases are chip. I think the only places I shop that aren't are the local Peets coffee and a beer store. Even the used book store is chip.

Edit: gas stations are all swipe, at least at the pump.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

JustJeff88 posted:

Keep in mind also that, quite recently, Amazon raised their price for Prime by $20 despite less products, especially non-Amazon products, actually benefiting from two-day shipping while also eliminating their substantial discount on new video games sold on physical media. There are probably other things that have become worse that I don't know about, but the games thing was the deal-breaker for me.

The point is that Amazon is now offering an inferior service at higher cost, which they would only do if they felt that it would be more profitable for them. Their goal is not to supply the best service, it's to make more money. So, they clearly decided that, even if it costs them subscribers, it would still be more profitable for them to increase the price and reduce the value of this popular service.

Companies only exist to extract profit, full stop. The goal of every company is to become a monopoly and raise their prices as high as possible without lowering profits; it's great for the monopoliser and miserable for everyone else. The fact that people are either unable or unwilling to accept this reality is genuinely disturbing.

Your example of prime is poor because prime comes with a suite of features that have wildly different value to individuals, and without knowing the costs of the various services extrapolating reasons for behavior becomes difficult. To you they reduced the value, but to my wife who does not play games or order small things she gets more seasons of Ms Maisel and some other reading benefits.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

JustJeff88 posted:

I would say that your response is poor because everything has different value to individuals, from use value to purely sentimental/nostalgic value to the relative value of $20 to various people. To someone poor, $20 is a big deal; to some rich prick, it's a trifle. If Amazon has added features to Prime that I don't know about that's another story, but to the best of my knowledge they have increased the cost of their service while further restricting the scope of its prime (no pun intended) selling point and removed a benefit that I and a fair few others used to enjoy and felt helped justify the price.

If it still works for your wife's lifestyle because they didn't trim the benefits that she enjoys then that's grand for her, but she's still paying 20% more for effectively the same service while many other people are asked to pay 20% more per annum while also getting less out of the bargain. If you can't see why some people would resent and criticise that, I don't know what to tell you. It's entirely justified for people to be cross about paying more for less, especially in regards to a ludicrously large and profitable company who barely pays any taxes, works its employees half to death for no wages in stifling warehouses and expects major cities to pay them, or near as drat it, to build facilities in their municipalities so that they can make even less of a contribution to the social good.

Adding a bunch of other issues about Amazon doesn't make your example of Prime any better. My wife may be paying an extra $20/year but from her perspective Prime is providing more value than 20/year in new shows/books/other services. For you that may not be the case, although maybe you should investigate those services and their personal-to-you value.

Ultimately, pointing at an opaque blob of services with multiple value tracks and saying that one value track going down while the cost increases is an example of "profit at all costs" is a poor example because to another person it just looks like resource reallocation to please a different set of desired customers, and which is probably going to happen in any economic system.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Also never pay full price or full price minus 15% for video games.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

JustJeff88 posted:

Quark, I just wanted to say that I understand where you are coming from. I think that, while the problem raised isn't extreme right now, you are justifiably concerned about Amazon's position of power and how things can devolve quickly. The thing that people don't realise is that Amazon is no longer a part of the market - if they were, they would only sell Amazon-brand products - they are the market and are in a position of power that will, as is the nature of capitalism, be abused for their benefit to the detriment of everyone else, including their "partners".

I think that other people are either wilfully not engaging with your argument or, most likely, are responding in a "it's not currently causing me a problem, therefore why do you care?" in a narcissistic and short-sighted way. In brief, I sympathise. It's for that same reason that I stopped interacting with Zackack just a page or two ago. His only counterargument was essentially "Well, my wife's fine with it" while I was trying to speak broadly about a decline in benefits combined with a significant increase in price for a service offered by a ludicrously profitable company. Once he essentially insulted/chastised me for buying video games I realised that I was being patronised, which I don't appreciate and made me accept that further constructive debate was a waste.
The point which you continue to miss is that my wife isn't "fine with it", she actually observed a high monthly value increase in services that corresponded with a minor cost increase (an extra $2 month isn't breaking her bank). That's what makes using Prime as an example a bad idea - it's a morphing service that can wildly benefit different groups. That you were complaining about a <$2/mo increase at the same time you lost the ability to save maybe $10 on something that you could probably save $20+ if you wait a few months to buy is what made it funny to me, a person who buys way too many video games, but who also somehow has the ability to just wait 1-6 months for a price reduction. And somehow I don't think you'd be complaining if Prime had gone the opposite direction and given you %50 off preorders but canceled the free music and video services instead.

No, instead you decided to stamp your feet and get pouty while making tangential complaints about Amazon, instead of doing the smart thing and admitting that your example was poor and finding a much better one. Here, I'll even do it for you using video games: Amazon used to be very competitive on video game pricing (AmazonTony days) but over the years as competition has dwindled and customers became entrenched into defaulting to Amazon for shopping it's obvious that Amazon now only feels the need to, at best, match the price of a competitor instead of competing for my business.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Raldikuk posted:

Absolutely. A price increase might be justified (bean counter wise at least) to keep up with costs and thus maintain the current level of quality provided. Netflix isn't in the best position here either because they keep relying on very expensive originals that they don't even have the rights to while being boxed out of exclusives for non original stuff. So it is definitely becoming more expensive for them to offer even reduced quality offerings. As a consumer I understand those realities but I also understand that the marketing they have behind the price increase is bs. Of course saying they need to charge more to provide less isn't the best marketing campaign so I don't even fault them for that. But I don't shed any tears for them either as I stop giving them my money. One good thing about Netflix though is their customer service workers apparently have no retention incentives because they didn't hesitate to cancel and give me a credit (both crediting previous month and giving me access to an additional month since apparently their system can't prorate??)

Amazon especially routinely will price stuff out to be a loss or break even to gain market share which means they eventually would need to raise prices to be able to make a profit. And from what I've seen through my experience as a prime user are the fees going up and the service quality staying the same or getting worse. At 10% annualized increases I suspect they're trying to capture profit rather than improving quality. So I would be curious to hear about the services they've added or improved since the last price increase that would justify the claim that they increased prices to increase quality versus them trying to make more profit.
From my wife's perspective (and FYI "Happy" or "pleased" are better substitutes than "fine with" for the non beep boop robots in the room) getting a second, longer season of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and and being able to stream some weird Canadian time travel show from the 00s are sufficient improvements to the service to justify the price increase because she likes those things and doesn't care about other shows. For many goons I'm willing to bet that a 4th season of The Expanse is worth an extra $20 or more. Your perception of Netflix getting worse in spite of a price increase is useless because it's based on your own value judgements which exist independently of Netflix economics - my wife, again, would say Netflix has more than justified a price increase because now they have many British Baking shows and she does not care about my losing access to a narrow range of Kung fu movie rights (which Amazon may have picked up).

That's why prime is a bad example of Amazon misusing its market position or otherwise being a danger at their size: prime has so many different elements that isolating one diminished value can't possibly account for anything, and you constantly saying that Netflix and Prime video offerings are worse doesn't make that necessarily true.

As for a more "raw" benefit, as a consumer I feel I get better value from Prime through savings and coupons at Whole Foods, which is my closest grocery store (and I am well aware that supermarket utility varies wildly by region and recognize I get certain unique benefits where I live) and has historically had much better goods for very little more than other "normal" competitors provided you aren't buying holistic crystal soap or prepared food. I do think certain elements of Whole Foods have become worse post-Amazon, but some have stayed the same and others have improved, and as a "what's on sale this week" cook the savings (or at least ease of access to savings through the app) do seem to be worth more than $20/year, even though this week's deals are kinda cruddy.

Lots of services go up in price just to maintain their value. Many services go up in price and shift value around. I'm certain some of my state park fees and taxes are going to pay for fire recovery in other state parks that I will never in my life use, but I'm not cursing the state for depleted value even though they actually have a monopoly on those particular locations and hold huge structural control over competing park systems and services.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Raldikuk posted:

Do you think Amazon would have shelved marvelous mrs maisel had they not increased the price? This doesn't seem like the best example of Amazon increasing the quality of their services to correspond with a price increase. It sounds like bog standard happy with the service. Which is fine, I don't think I ever suggested that no one would find the service worth the money. I took issue with the idea that Amazon has made their services better while doing so, and given that the prime (ha ha) example here is that amazon released its 2nd season of a show they bought the 2nd season for in 2017 (which also went on to win a ton of awards) for their video service which centers around having movies and tv shows I think that demonstrates the point. If the true value that has been added is the 2nd season of marvelous mrs maisel, you would have been able to get that without the increase. Really what is being said is that amazon had underpriced their service compared to the value that you perceived from the offerings, and that is perfectly reasonable. Plenty of people will be in the same boat where they feel that way (I'm one of them...but only because I am on the student version), but that isn't them adding value, it is them capturing it.
This assumes knowledge of Amazon's finances with respect to their entertainment division which... hollywood accounting is bizarre, so there's no real knowing why they would order more Maisel, or necessarily that many episodes (they could have always cut the order). And Amazon's entertainment service via Prime Video is better than it was - the core element of the service (similar to what Netflix kinda is/was, particularly if you still have a DVD sub like I do) is still a library, not a production house; Netflix/Amazon original content is meant to be a value-add, even though the fracturing of streaming platforms has made it drift into more of a replacement a la HBO.

I'll also note that you neglected to address Whole Foods Prime, which I think started after the price increase and has provided more than $20/year in value. Further, while at the gym (another hotbed of wild fluctuating cost/value), I remembered Twitch Prime gives me free games and gewgaws - while some games are old, last week they gave away The Messenger, a fairly popular new release currently on sale for $14, and the combined game value since June, even accounting for some games being old or games I already own, is easily greater than $20.

quote:

Same with Netflix; it's fine if you enjoy the service and the shows; what I made fun of is their advertising that they needed to do so in order to provide new shows and movies and them using the little rascals as an example of the quality hits I can enjoy. Yes, I understand that there likely exist people who agreed that adding the little rascals is worth extra money per month. Fundamentally though, they've kept the service at similar levels while increasing the price. Inflation and such is an argument for that too, but it isn't what they sold the increase on. But again, I don't blame them for marketing on the idea that they needed to increase their prices to offer me such great titles as the little rascals, but the reality is that they saw an opportunity to make more profit and they did so. Funny tho how the price increase corresponds to record profit levels (doubling net margin YoY) and demolishing investor expectations. A coincidence I am sure. And again, it is fine for them to make a profit, but why assume that a price increase is actually being used to increase quality?
But this assumes that the price increase resulted in profit, and not entering new markets, or gaining new subscribers, or a drop in the cost of bandwidth, or whatever the stock market thinks - for all we know a lot of people really wanted to watch Bright.

[quote]Indeed, many need to increase prices to maintain value (annualized increases of 10% probably exceed that tho), which isn't the same as increasing value. Similarly with "shifting" it around. And for the consumer, the increased price may still be "worth it", or maybe they're captured enough that they feel they have no choice. Government fees fall under similar guidance, obviously, and I think it is absolutely worth asking if a fee\tax increase is actually going towards things of value (which we seem to agree is highly subjective) rather than being wasted. I think a similar comparison for netflix\amazon increasing profits to boost their bottom line would be a park commissioner (or similar) increasing fees so they can embezzle (more) money while keeping the services they offer the same (maybe even keeping to events that had previously been scheduled!). Maybe the fee was very cheap prior, and we could all agree that increasing the fee makes sense given the services offered, but we could probably also agree that raising the fee to line someone's pocket isn't worth it; even if we believe the fees before and after are reasonable. I'm not sure I follow your claim that owning property and putting it to use is a "monopoly" tho, that seems a bit wild.
The problem with this is that "lining the pockets" is subjective - I don't disagree that Amazon makes a shitton of profit, but pointing at Prime and saying "see, another example of bad" is dumb, because the cost-value of Prime is so opaque; Prime may be a loss leader, or just kinda break even because some executive wants to fund an author buddy through the free monthly book thing and burying it under 12 other benefits keeps it from being scrutinized. Similarly, a the Head Ranger may order increased fees to line their pockets, but they may also be increasing fees to give salary increases to Engineer Rangers or Doctor Rangers that already get paid pretty well, or maybe the Head Ranger really thinks a fleet of snowmobiles for every park is important (including the beach ones), or whatever.

re: Monopoly - the state has a huge amount of power to allow or deny new parks from opening through a variety of regulatory mechanisms and ownership of surrounding lands.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

DrNutt posted:

I have two arcades in my town, but man I would love for someone to put up an old school internet PC club for gaming. I used to go to a place that had like 8 pcs hooked up in a lan and they hosted cs tournaments all the time. To face off against your fps opponents, in the flesh, what a time to be alive that was.

My mall seems to have something like this now. I haven't gone in (I only see it because the dying Sears means I can't go through it to leave) but it looks like a wall of flatscreens playing fortnight or BLOPS or whatever with couches in front.

quote:

I totally get that, but I'm not talking about customer perceptions or the profit these stores are making. This was a commentary on commercial finance and how it plays into dying malls, and how the game is played as I understand it from friends who are commercial developers/owners. They are always looking for their next loan, and price per square foot is the key metric so they will play games with that. The American Eagle that used to take up 2000 sq. ft? Just put up a partition wall and have the shells-guled-to-frames seller occupy the front 200 sq. ft at 10% of that rent. DONE. This math somehow works out for now. Even when the partition wall doesn't really exist in many cases.
I could swear there was an article in... The Atlantic? about this and why storefronts can be abandoned for years because lowering the rents causes more problems for them, especially since so much space is controlled not by a local landlord but a larger conglomerate. Vacancy tax seemed to be the main solution.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

My local sears husk would be perfect for a whole foods (and CVS or Walgreens), as the sears opened up next to the downtown area and a transit mall. Yeah, there are two other wholes within 3 miles, but there are no grocery stores in the downtown core besides a grocery outlet.

Or we can gurgle out tired whole paycheck memes like it's 2009.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Is 2009 the last time you were in one? Most of what they sell is roughly the same price and of better quality than the local safeways barring ultra-bargain bin stuff that grocery outlet or Trader Joe's already captures. Meat, cheese, and bakery are probably the three "pricey" items but they also pull (partly) from our local bakeries/dairies.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

pseudanonymous posted:

I've never heard a claim even remotely this high.

I know I've seen that claim from devs but it's been a while (like over 5 years), and the impacts of piracy to a given developer are going to be near-random due to the genre, quality (real or otherwise), market saturation, DRM unbreakability, platform, etc. Saying piracy has no effect is dumb, as is saying it has a huge effect, because the particular entity impacted will change and I'm not sure if there's a way to reliably translate pirated copies into theoretical purchased copies.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just assuming that they know very little about computers, the internet, video games, and buying habits, and are also lying through their teeth.

No, it was more like "we sold 10k copies of our game and there are 30k high scores from different users". You're being really weird about this.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Raldikuk posted:

Even if it were true that having 30k high scores from 10k copies implied 20k pirate users (plenty of confounds that would suggest, no, probably not for instance someone creating multiple users, reselling the game which isn't pirating but also not an original sale, etc), that says nothing about if they would have actually purchased the game if they weren't able to pirate it.
Yes, that's basically what I said earlier. But at indie levels even a 1% conversion can matter. That's also why regional pricing (and eventually, regional locks) exists.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/03/22/indie-developer-sells-300000-copies-game-finds-1-million-pirated-copies/

https://www.theverge.com/2013/8/22/4647240/the-indie-game-that-144-android-users-bought-and-50000-pirated

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

FCKGW posted:

Fry's is seriously just too drat big. It came from a bygone era where computers and tech were new and exciting with lots of variation and also a little complicated. You could go to Fry's and browse a bunch of different motherboards from literally 30 different manufacturers. All kinds of weird niche PCs, goofy PC peripherals like fan speed control boxes and giant gently caress-off Antec EATX cases that could store 4 CD-R drives. It was a destination store that you had to experience. You could head out on a Saturday and just spend hours browsing neat stuff.

Now computers and tech are commodified, you can't even open up half the PCs out there without ungluing something. There's like 3 motherboard manufacturers, everything is plug and play and tech isn't the domain of the geeky anymore. The people who used to depend on Fry's have a million of options online now so you have to just put out filler crap to pad out the shelves. Once boxed software disappeared they replaced the section with random toys. When CDs and DVDs shrank they replaced the aisles with As Seen On TV Stuff. When stand along cameras and camcorders went away they replaced them with loving camping tents.

If they shuttered their wal-mart sized stores and replaced them with stores the size of a medium-sized grocery store (like Microcenter has), they could probably carve out a niche for the geeks and local b2b and still be successful. They won't because the company is a poorly run shitshow and will go down in spectacular fashion. I'm pretty sure the website will still stick around though, it's probably half the company revenue at this point.

Part of what makes this conversation interesting, and also probably highlights the cause, is how people are describing Fry's. Go back 20 years and what you really have is a real-world "old" Newegg before Newegg existed, in a space big enough to hold Newegg. Need some CD-Rs? Fry's has a box of 100 with jewel cases for a buck a pop, holy poo poo what a good deal. Want a hard drive that isn't Western Digital (this is back when Seagate was a top-brand and not owned by Maxtor)? Go to Fry's and you'll see brands not carried by CompUSA at good prices (like 1/3 the price of other places), and without having to go through mom'n'pop stores with bad pricing and services. Hell, it even has a big returns desk!

Where does that fit today in a landscape where service-heavy Best Buy has seemingly shifted to consume one chunk of that market (plus is the "last man standing) and internet/Microcenter eats the other chunk? People are calling it a giant Best Buy/Circuit City but that's not what it started as, and it's not what they were good at.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I recently installed Transformers: Devastation off Steam (that's 2 years after it was pulled from the store) since I bought it before it was removed, is that not how it works with every game pulled from the store?

That's normally how it works, gog isn't special in that. I think PT and maybe one other thing were full on disappeared.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Arthur C. Clarke wrote a short story sometime in the 60s with a minor plot point where portable music players small enough to be worn as jewelry got invented! ...and then they were banned as public nuisances, because he predicted the MP3 player but not headphones. This is not a relevant post but I love that fact so much.

The way I'm reading this is that he was still prescient because I constantly run into people listening to loud music either from their phones or a Bluetooth speaker. Like, when I'm hiking.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Of all the things that exist it feels like "enamel pins" is a weird place to draw a line on being a real stickler for "buy american" compared to any other random thing. Why would it be important to manufacture specifically enamel pins in the US?

Presumably the enamel pin factory in the US won't take your 5000 pin order, produce 15000 pins, and then toss the extra 10000 pins on Amazon at a lower price. And that's not even getting into marketplace confusion tactics.

It's not that enamel pins are unique, but they are an example of a good that may contain significant creative labor which gets completely wiped out due to mass production being possible.

Counterfeit textiles would be another example although that crosses into the insanity world of fashion.

Like, if I spend years designing the world's greatest iron metal rod puzzle (those kitschy puzzles that are obnoxiously difficult) I would hope to be able to be rewarded for my creative labor, not have knick knack stores around the world get flooded with the Offical Zakkack Brain Teaser of Learning Benefits.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 16, 2020

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

luxury handset posted:

in practice often the mall structure itself is repurposed into some kind of civic use. the real traction comes when you dig up the whole sea of parking lots around the mall and build on that land

The extremely centrally located mall in my city would be a perfect location for the county to relocate a lot of their various agencies to from their current scattered approach and would open up a lot of land for other development. I get the appeal of thinking about apartments but when I think of malls I don't think of something efficiently laid out for residential use given the seeming tendency for malls to have a sort of "bendy" interior and a lot of open areas (which could be easily repurposed into conference rooms/meeting areas for gov business).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

A store exclusively for a rapidly shrinking middle class

I don't think that's accurate, my impression of Nieman Marcus is that it's for lower upper class or maybe upper upper middle class. Above Nordstrom and other equivalent stores and where the shopping experience would start to get a little unusual.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Government should not be run like a business but the IT problems in my experience are not fully explained by that particular philosophy taking hold. I think a big part of the problem is that the expectations for technology are moving much, much faster than government can really react to (often due to laws meant to deal with other things) plus the inability for government to "go under" and as a result having to support legacy data (let alone platforms or processes) well past an expiration date. Add to that the standard bureaucratic slowness, slower hiring, etc and it's just a disaster.

Like, my agency requires submittals using a specific piece of software, and the law specifies the version of that software. If that software suddenly isn't compatible with Windows 20 then you have to go through an entire regulatory process, including broad economic impact, public comment/response, etc, just to require updated software (which then goes out of date in a month).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Bar Ran Dun posted:

But then those same goods are mostly purchased in the deep mark down period right before restocking, thus the actual purchase price, what inflation measures is less than the regular shelf price increase!

I feel like that this could only be true if shoppers were highly cognizant of and constantly acting on those price reductions, and even then would require much broader sale adjusting than I've ever witnessed. I tend to shop sale goods because I can cook and work with whatever, but even then it's probably only about a third of purchases I'm making on any given grocery trip. I could maybe see this on a narrow range of low-perishable goods, but not meat/dairy/produce or even a lot of staples and "more lasting" things like booze.

And imo I think those latter perishable categories are the modern middle class signifiers, not chips and soda. "The good eggs" prices are what I hear gripes about, not Pepsi.