Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I thought it was all some calculated ploy by Lampert to drain the entire company for the benefit of his primary shareholder(his own fund) but then I read he went and put his own money back in so now I'm convinced he's just a Wall Street idiot that has no idea how companies actually become successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

I take it you've never seen Supermarket Sweep

this show and Shop 'Til You Drop are hilariously representative of America

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
So they're going to firesale everything

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
One of my clients owns a mall and is losing Sears. At this point their only real options are to remodel it and split it into a bunch of smaller stores, or just bulldoze the thing. They don't have much hope in finding another client that could take over this admittedly large location with service area.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...mqg0aRrR6nED5oQ

"They had a young, female, Arab boss, a very sweet woman who they adored and who never ever went in the water. But one day she was in the mood to go for a swim, even though there were jellyfish," she explained.

"So what they did was jump in the water and clear everything in front of her -- they got stung to pieces. It was a sign of respect from them. I just think it's a nice story."

otoh this sounds like an amazing way to employ a bunch of white knights

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Large companies love to poo poo all over small vendors/suppliers because they can. If theyre your largest customer, and they know it, you really can't say no if they decide to start paying you 180 days out.

That being said, client of mine owns a vending/coffee service company and one of their clients(a large oil field company) stopped paying. Vending company showed up Monday at 8am and started loading up the coffee machines. By about 8:02 a manager with the oil company was screaming on the phone to their boss in Houston and by 8:10 they had paid the entire 90 days worth of invoices by credit card and everyone could now get their caffeine fix. Some days, the little guy wins.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Excuse me the term is 'resource'

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Plus the skeleton crews of underpaid teenagers give garbage customer service that is driving people elsewhere if options exist.

People who financially have the option to do so can. More and more people don't. Wal-Mart has a captive audience.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
You take whatever incentives and tax rebates you can get and hope that before they expire in however many years you either sell the mess off or magic happens and it makes money.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

One of the solutions to all these issues is promoting the same small businesses that the big businesses put out of business over the past 20 years by offering them special tax incentives and taxing the large corporations to hell and back to level the playing field.

This is legit a huge problem. States like Texas and most of its municipalities have been handing out billions in 'incentives' to corporations for years, especially massive property tax abatements. This further shifts the tax burden to residents via home property taxes, income taxes and sales taxes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
For every question, there are literally binders full of contradicting answers.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Nothing quite says 'gently caress this day' like a bucket o chicken and some cheap beer

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I still can't stop laughing at how Americans were conned into butchering pensions and then sold IRAs as a replacement. One is an actual retirement, the other is a gamble. GG America

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
blaming millenials is how boomers cope with voting themselves into poverty

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The only reason I'm living in the suburbs is because the school public school district in the city is absolute garbage. I think it is interesting that the topic of millennials having children hasn't come up in this derail (or if it did, my apologies) -- it is actually pretty easy to see the impact of our generations preferences for city living through the lens of early childhood education. Many of the quality preschool programs in my area are much easier to get into now than they were before the Great Recession, due to millennials either having children at a lesser rate or are just not moving into the ranges of the schools.

another fun way to look at this is businesses who relocate or open offices is lovely parts of red states to take advantage of cheap labor. turns out people with children and a choice are hard to lure to areas with dogshit education. see: Kansas

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Just lol if you don't think boomers won't spend literally every penny possible prolonging their life to the point that their broke children will be unable to afford even a meagre funeral

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Peak couch

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
One of the malls here is owned by a local company and theyre sitting at 100% occupancy because they packed it full of cheaper retailers because rich people don't go to the loving mall

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

exhibit no. 853096 of how utterly broken our banking system is and why we should have knocked this bitch to the ground in 2008

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
People loving love thinking they got a great deal

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
People are finally getting a clue as to just how much they are being robbed at a state and local level in the name of "business incentives" and Amazon definitely hosed this one up

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
im sorry but you're wrong old manuals were great and informative

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Only one thing to do in that situation: acknowledge that cereals are garbage and embrace the egg.

LOOK WHO'S IN THE POCKET OF BIG AG

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

AstroWhale posted:

Don't you guys have to basically beg them to pay for anything?

Two days and 12 total hours of phone calls got me nowhere with a major hospital so I had to drag them on social media to get them to do what they were legally required to do. Fixing it took all of 15 minutes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There was some article way back that chronicled the 12 hour a day working CEO and like half of it was lunches, dinners, golf and massages at the office.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Employees are money not going to shareholders

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

They don't have big ol' pipes under the roads for that? I never quite understood why a lot of super suburban areas have these gross ponds all over the place, is that to save money vs having a proper storm water system?

buddy we cant even maintain the pipes under the ground that carry explosive stuff or potable water

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Where I live they keep trying to force developers to add on green space and community space and non profit art things and what have you to new devlopment, but all the developers do is agree to the project with the community theater or whatever, finish the whole thing, sell it to another company who has no contractual obligations for any of that poo poo and then they just do whatever they want that's legal for the zoning. Now your community theater is just another big retail space on the market and oh yay now it's yet another Crate & Barrel. loving awesome.

It's not clear why the city keeps letting themselves get screwed like this, they claim they have no ability to enforce contracts when people sell their property but there is some talk developers just bribe city employees on the reg to structure the contracts such that they are never actually on the hook for anything.

Also most of the city council & planning committee are current/ex developers or seem to hold real estate across half the city for some reason. So yeah.

One part bribery, one part incompetence.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
people here bitch about the cost of public parks but also keep supporting the county spend $2 million a year keeping the local minor league sports stadiums open for private use

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
now imagine instead of leasing space in a shopping center every half mile for a Gamestop, you built a giant building every half mile. the CVS/Walgreens experience.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

gently caress that sucks. I tho8ght they were actually going to change
Guess im the idiot for believing retail entities dont have a hyperfast boom bust cycle

they only have one playbook

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Had a person in their late 50s reply back to every automatic notification e-mail thanking the sender. They did not understand that no one was in fact sending them an Amazon receipt 7 seconds after they hit enter. After three different times of having this explained, they still didn't get it but at least stopped complaining about the errors they'd get when replying. We have another user in their late 30s who copies themselves on every e-mail they send out. "To have a record of it". They have a Master's Degree. I have users in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s that struggle with the most basic word processing tasks despite it being their job.

Meanwhile, my 89 year old grandmother can successfully use her Gmail account, browse the local obituaries for people she knew and play Bridge every waking hour. Her troubleshooting skills consist of "turning it off and back on it again" and then calling my mother.

So no, neither age or education grant any sort of intrinsic computer experience

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
It's like wanting to drink water from lead pipes because it's more authentic

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Dxracer chairs and their ilk are overpriced garbage and you're far better off buying a refurbed Steelcase or Hermann Miller off ebay

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
sounds like a case of refusing to admit that problems existed until oopsie daisy we cant even buy merch now

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Everyone is trying to ditch as much of their AP department as possible by shifting the burden somewhere else. This is an interesting way of doing it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
one of my clients has purchased a few failing malls and gave up attempting to cater to the dwindling middle class and instead went full bore discount and lo they're actually 100% occupied

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
It doesn't help that the Air Force has made flying so painful that officers are passing up massive signing bonuses to take a chance with Timbuktu Air

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Gort posted:

How's that? Lack of comfort features in the newer planes or something?

morale.

short of it is, the Air Force has basically been at war since Desert Storm while simultaneously downsizing. this leads to more and longer deployments(not fun) and more non-flying related tasks when not deployed that cut into flying hours(really not fun). so you've got a bunch of well paid officers, some of who get to fly really cool things, giving all that up and passing on an additional $35k a year retention bonus because flying a 30 year old 737 domestically involves far less bullshit and also you might get to see your family more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

There might be recruits, but each one of those officers represents a vast investment of time and money to train to the point of being useful in combat. The pipeline to get flight officers is long, and a lot of recruits wash out along the way because it is not an easy skillset to acquire.

The AF wants to replace them all with drones piloted from a desk in the States anyway.

Training pipelines have been hosed because they needed those people to also do other jobs.

Its a gigantic, hundred billion dollar plus case study in what happens when you ask people to do more with less. Except everyone has an in demand job skill and can easily go elsewhere when the contract is up.