Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Celexi posted:

I used to go a lot to barnes & nobles not for the books but for coffee in places that had no other options in walking distance.

The one in my area is a pretty good board game store too now that all of those in the area died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This really becomes a matter of how to put the genie back in the bottle because this is part of why our society is in a death spiral. Or it's at best a symptom.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

taqueso posted:

We make everyone a CEO, simple, economy fixed

How do you feel about worker owned co-ops?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

being the CEO of a failing company is a challenge to be overcome. The choice is whether they will just cash out an inflated stock via purges or will they do right by the people / company.

Don't reply to me saying all CEOs are evil or some dumb shir. It's ignorant. You can be a CEO of a 5, 50 or 500 person company and still treat people decently. It resides in the person not the rank.

It doesn't matter how nice a CEO is, they're parasites sucking up as much of the wealth their workers are creating as possible. Society would be objectively better if they were all paid less and their workers were paid more, and that's not "dumb" that's observable reality.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 22, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MegaZeroX posted:

Wage theft can be bad while at the same time shoplifting is bad.

Not really no. In the current climate shoplifting is 110% justified.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Discendo Vox posted:

...okay, why?

Because companies took the mere whiff of supply chain woes to crank up prices and not look back? And then bragged about the massive record profits they made during COVID? Who the gently caress cares about shoplifting? No one with any brain cells.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Discendo Vox posted:

So does this apply to all shoplifting, or shoplifting from companies that cranked up prices to a certain amount, or what?

Hall monitor behavior. Is your mother a Target?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Discendo Vox posted:

Again, it's not clear that staffing would reduce the shoplifting.

Tell that to the shoplifters who always waited for our least staffed hours to come in and load up.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Safeway has started going through ridiculous measures to combat shoplifting when the most obvious solution would be to stop gouging people with their insane regular pricing, which continues to push far beyond the rate of inflation and well into low orbit. It's a moral good to rip off the people selling you chips for seven dollars a bag and pasta sauce for 12 dollars a jar. It's a loving joke and all you have to do to see how scummy they are is go across town to WinCo to see exactly how much they are loving you on markup. Too bad if you're in an area that only has Safeway though!

V absolutely, but at least in the past you might have a Safeway and an Albertsons competing with sale prices and such. Wonder what happened to that dynamic??? They've really taken the gouging to an extreme while blaming the pandemic/shoplifting/etc V

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 26, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cat botherer posted:

God they suck. It's a poo poo grocery store with poo poo product, but has beyond Whole Foods prices. I think they only get away with it due to their near-monopoly status in a lot of poor areas.

Ding ding ding, I live in a poor area and it's absolutely it. If WinCo moving in changed anything, I certainly haven't seen it, and WinCo is certainly not going to be convenient for people who live near the Safeway but can't drive across town to go to WinCo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love Winco so much. They’re open 24/7. They have the cheapest prices on everything. They don’t lock up anything. They have plenty of self check out lanes. They’re employee owned.

Target executives must hate Winco.

Yeah, they loving rule and I was so happy when they moved into town. There's two locations now in the city but one of them is an old Safeway so it kind of sucks (small and narrow aisles, not as much stuff as the one that used to be a HomeClub}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mustang posted:

What's with so many places putting certain items behind locked cabinets and in walled off "store inside a store" type deals? The cost of constructing these, the person manning the register, and reduced sales because of the inconvenience to shoppers, this move just doesn't make any sense to me. I get that they're claimed to be due to shoplifting but I don't think they're going to work as planned.

Anything that's locked up or inside these "stores inside a store" I'm just going to go home and order off the Amazon. Don't they think Amazon has eaten into their sales enough by this point?

It seems to only be national/regional chains that are doing this. More local establishments seem to be able to avoid doing this, and even typically have real people behind cash registers instead of only having self checkout available.

Like how can Town & Country in Seattle offer much better customer experiences than a national chain like Safeway? There's more employees on the floor, multiple registers with cashiers, and they still provide baskets.

Safeway on the other hand has gotten rid of baskets, locked up tons of stuff either in cabinets or inside the "store inside a store", and rarely ever any cashiers behind a register.

They're "saving money" on labor because slashing labor to the bone is the last place for those big national chains to be able to squeeze blood from a stone, beyond the price gouging that they could afford to do thanks to the pandemic. Most national chains have been in a downward style in customer service and store quality for years, and in fact quite a bit of it most likely has to do with losing market share against online storefronts. The store within a store and locked kiosks are inconvenient for people shopping in store, but it's not going to bother someone who's ordering online and picking up, for instance, or sending a gig economy slave to go do their bidding.

e: many of the store shrink issues in places where there actually is a measurable shoplifting problem could be solved by simply staffing the store appropriately so that you don't have like 4 underpaid and overworked employees trying to cover 9000 sq ft of store. Simply having a couple people walking around and asking people if they need help is a deterrent for many shoplifters. in fact this is part of the problem. for as much as the stores bitch and moan about shoplifting and cry crocodile tears, the shrink is built right into the business models and it's less costly to just right off a certain amount of shrink than to hire, train, and maintain an appropriate level of staffing for a store.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 3, 2024