Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Here's the parking structure for that amazon fresh pickup store

Do you live in Australia?

I'd like to take an abandoned mall, fill it with obsolete goods and create a zombie experience. No fighting, just sitting in gated stores trying to enjoy your consumer products while hell is located just a few feet away. Apocalyptic news periodically through an old CRT or radio. 24 hour minimum commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
People say "Uber/Lyft" like they're the same thing. I like Lyft because tipping is built into the app, and I've never heard about anything overtly evil they've done like Uber.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Isn't that an episode of Dark Mirror?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

JustJeff88 posted:

What really bothers me about so many jobs disappearing, even though many are terrible slave-wage jobs with no benefits, comes from how utterly, terrifyingly wrongly society treats the lessening need to work. Everyone is so obsessed with this idea that everyone has to justify their own existence by performing some kind of toil, and if they don't then they do not deserve even the basics of life. It doesn't matter if those resources are abundant and that there may simply be no work to do, and I think that that is a sad commentary on humanity.

At some point, automation will be so effective that either most people will need to be taken care of, or they will need to be killed.

Developing combat robots is a mistake.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

More to the point, many children are watching YouTube or YouTube kids on their parents phones or tablets when they are given them (your friends may not do this, but it is a common occurrence -- especially in restaurants or other settings where young children are expected to be quiet so they don't disrupt strangers).

I wish they'd wear headphones while they do it. Nothing enhances my fine dining experience like Paw Patrol.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hi! I have opinions!

Opinion 1: Self checkouts work flawlessly in Australia, the UK, and Ireland. I think that the scales are set to be too sensitive here, with the result that they need to be overridden at least once every checkout. If I have a coupon or produce I don't even bother trying, because every single one of those needs to be approved by the monitor guy.

Opinion 2: I was at Walmart yesterday, because they have this one kind of muffin you can't even get online. Anyway, they had a rack of these little scanners, the idea being that you scan your stuff as you put it in your cart, even directly into bags.

It worked well until the scanner crashed and wiped out everything. I went to put the scanner back and a plainclothes tech guy asked what I was doing and convinced me to let him help me rescan everything. Checking out was nice, and simple, and fast. I still refused to show my receipt to the door guy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

there wolf posted:

Has the UK had a massive overhaul in their scanner in the last year or so, because when I was there it was a constant battle with the scale.

Someone a while back said self checkouts are all pretty much the same machine, just with different cases for whatever store you're at. How much control does an individual store/company have over the settings for those things, especially concerning the sensitivity of the scale?

I...um...only first went there in May. :blush:

If it matters, we did most of our shopping at Waitrose. God drat I miss those pastries.

Retail in America is going to fail because we lack daily pastries that don't taste like poo poo. I think the difference is a willingness to run out of things. If you have an overabundance, you put all kinds of chemical poo poo in them to keep them fresh longer. I've worked in a grocery store bakery in multiple states, and all that stuff comes out of a freezer, except, like, two kinds of bread. It might be frozen in the UK too, but if so, they're still yummy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

blowfish posted:

does not compute (though I have no trouble believing US bread is even worse)

I was talking about pastries, but admitting that technically Safeway makes one kind of bread each day from scratch. Pour bag A, B, and C into the mixer. Add water. Let rise. Partition. Bake in 3 different shapes. That's three kinds of bread, right?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

noyes posted:

yeah well we have lamingtons

:cry: They're so good and I can't get them right :cry:

Crow Jane posted:

True. Your chocolate game is better too, for the most part. gently caress Hershey's.

It's getting worse as US companies are making the "good" brands with the same corner cutting as Hershey's.

RuanGacho posted:

Eh, it's not bad price wise:

These are the same as the A, B, C bread. The only thing artisan is that stuff from a bucket is dropped on top.

Hungry posted:

As a Brit who has lived in America for the last 10 months, yeah you can't get a good pastry here, they don't exist (at least out here in the far-flung Midwest). I did find extremely overpriced frozen cornish pasties marketed as "hand pies" which tasted fine but nothing like a pastie was meant to.

Madison, Wisconsin has some very good Pasties.

learnincurve posted:

All UK supermarkets have three quality tiers. Economy, normal, and premium. It’s a myth that Waitrose is more expensive than Tescos, it’s just that the majority of people who shop at Waitrose will only put the premium level goods in their trolly. It’s actually very easy to do a budget shop in there if you are a poor, same goes for M&S which is also surprisingly reasonable.

The real problem I have with Waitrose is that the Venn diagram of the sort of people who shop at Waitrose and the sort of people who would tell security that they think a poor might be shoplifting if they see one in Waitrose is a circle.

We did our shopping at Waitrose because it was the closest to our Airbnb. All the prices seemed cheap compared to SF bay area prices, let alone Whole Foods prices. Whole foods doesn't really have pastry either.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"American chocolate has butyric acid" has been a thing since the 1800s. It was actually a good idea when it was invented but by the time it wasn't needed anymore america thought it was what chocolate was supposed to taste like.

Right! I just have a problem with them doing the same thing with Cadbury and claiming it's the same as the original.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

They're not literally confusing bread and cake, they're saying American bread is sweet compared to other places :ssh:

Some people do, though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I feel like the bigger problem here is how many Americans shop for groceries on the same scale that people shop for the apocalypse.

When you have to drive 20 minutes to the nearest grocery store, people don't like to go multiple times a week. Even if it's on your way home, the parking, aisles, and checkouts are a nightmare between 4:30 and 7:00.

The other factor is if you like processed food, you might as well buy a case of it at once and save some money, because it's not going to go bad anytime soon.

Edit: and to go back on topic, if you can have Amazon bring you your pallet of Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers for even cheaper, why go to the store at all?

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 13, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

learnincurve posted:

Nobody has used the word twit since 1980.

People call people who use twitter this.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
No one wants to think they're "the man" because if they are, they have no excuse for their misery.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

boner confessor posted:

consider that american bread = euro cake is true, but that it's not that american bread is bad, but rather europe has really lovely cake

You need bored as gently caress royalty to come up with a cake this deliciously elegant.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Fame Douglas posted:

Ikea tends to change its designs in subtle ways very often, it probably wasn't mostly the same stuff.

The first time I went to IKEA, they had a little triangular Lack table that I really liked. Someone helpfully took our cart while we were in the bathroom or something and we didn't have the will to go do it all again.

A month later and the table was discontinued.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The scene: ordering some black Friday clothes at 50% off at Eddie Bauer

:v: : OK, I assume you want to use the new credit union card on this

:sparkles: No, Chase is giving (some amount) cash back at department stores.

:v: ... Eddie Bauer isn't a department store

:sparkles: ..It isn't?

:v: No. A department store is a big store with departments like Macy's or Sears or JC Penney

:sparkles: ...

:v: Like a shoe department, and a women's department, and a housewares department.

:sparkles: *Goes to Chase to read exhaustive list of applicable stores*

:v: What are you doing?

:sparkles: *reaches the end and looks beaten*

For the record, she's way smarter than I am.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I mentioned to my wife that the US was over-retailed and she asked me what people did instead. I don't have any kind of an answer. Is there a bigger service industry? More manufacturing? People working fewer hours so there's more jobs to go around?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DrNutt posted:

Lmao why am I not surprised to see that Garth Ennis was involved with this poo poo?

Iirc, he and Warren Ellis had a competition to see who could write the best comic starting from the same premise.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Also in the pokemon anime Ash is in a coma

From like the spearows or...?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

suck my woke dick posted:

This. People with cars will absolutely drive to the other side of town because of premium organic borderline-scam food or whatever, and they'll drive to get sick deals instead if they don't want to burn money.

My local Safeway literally doesn't carry the good meat. I have to go to one of the quality Safeways in our neighboring towns to get sell by date USDA prime.

Only if they're on my way home, though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My in-laws have never suggested we try them when we're with them in FL. What do you like about them?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

learnincurve posted:

We used to have Safeway in the U.K. but it got bought out. (Or in my towns case, burn down) All our supermarkets/grocery stores are exactly the same as Safeway, with small variations making them slightly more upmarket or downmarket. The own brand stuff is also identical but for the label. It’s basically your worst nightmare of retail homogenisation.

I liked Waitrose more than the others when we were in London, but that might be because it was on the same block so we could get fresh breakfast pastries, which aren't a thing in the US.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Then your in-laws either hate you or are ignorant of one of the top 5 best things about Florida.

For what you pay at Subway for a 90% bread sandwich full of rubber meat and sad vegetables you can get an amazing fresh everything Publix sub.

The literally got Subway for themselves while we were there. My wife and I are a Jersey Mike's family.

Alterian posted:

You say that because you've never had a Wegmans Sub.

In-laws are all from Rochester where they would shop at the flagship Wegmans, so that might be it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alterian posted:

The one in Pittsford? That one is pretty great. They are finally making their way to where I live in NC and I am excited. The bottom of this article lists all the grocery chains we have in this area. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article154006074.html

Yep! My wife actually grew up in the same neighborhood where Danny Wegman lived/lives and they would see him at Christmas parties and stuff.

I wish they'd hop coasts and just clown all the CA grocery stores.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Baronjutter posted:

My other's friend's dad was a comic book artist who's house had nearly ever wall covered with glass display cabinets FULL of action figures and rare toys and comics from around the world and no you could not touch any of them.

If he was a real comic book artist this is at least a little forgivable.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ryonguy posted:

Fixed for increased entertainment value.

I think it'd be more entertaining in the original watching them be crippled and desperately trying to swim. Like a metaphor or something.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
To hasten the decline of capitalism, anyone who misses browsing a wall of movies might be able to still do that at their local library.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Do you think they sold that stuff or sent it back?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think the #1 enemy of toy companies is the smart phone. We'll see how long it lasts but wife and I agree that our kid won't get a screen until 5 or 6. Our in-laws 2 year old already has his own tablet. That can't be good for brain development, can it?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
That's true, he's really into his toy dinosaurs now. It was just very shocking the amount of time he just stared into it.

Though, it was kind of funny watching him brute force the puzzles and skillfully abuse the hint system into completing the word problems for him.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Quote is not edit. :(

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Both times we recently went into Best Buy to feel a thing we were planning to buy online, we ended up buying there.

Yes, we're bad people. We had to make sure a fitbit with a screen wasn't too big and heavy for my wife's tiny tiny wrists.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Flea markets can be good for Lego. Those basically never wear out. Maybe a little discoloration from sunlight.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

anonumos posted:

My 3 year old son's favorite channel now is a kid and his dad who build lego sets or unbox tonka trucks and play with them. It's part review, part unboxing, part speed build, part randomness of a dad and his son.

I picture you sitting on the floor, across the room, amid a pile of Lego boxes, looking very sad. :(

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

learnincurve posted:

U.K. switched over to Chip and pin in February 2006. On that date 55% of all credit card transactions were chip and pin and by 2016 78.5% of all transactions were chip and pin.

Before that most people went to the cashpoint and carried cash, today I paid for my dog’s 50p bus ticket contactless.

They make dogs pay to ride the bus?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is there anywhere to buy clothing that's between Walmart/Outlet Mall and full price at the stores that drain into the Outlet Mall? I've been to the big retail stores and honestly, the quality wasn't really there anyway.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Kenmore might have been good back in 2004.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FilthyImp posted:

Gonna be another scorcher!
:(

I'll call tomorrow

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

How are u posted:

You'll call now :)

I'll call now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Levis is privately owned and Dickies is owned by the company that also owns jansport and Kipling, and has existed since 1899.

(Go Reading Phillies)