Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There are plenty of retail spaces that are iconic and memorable, it’s just that a lot of them were probably built before WWII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

WampaLord posted:

No one's saying that. I'm saying the people who claim that without work they would be bored and without purpose are suffering from a lack of creativity. If you have a plan to work for yourself, that's totally cool, you do you.

And I'm only saying people are poisoned by Protestant Work Ethic because, well, so many of them are. Look at all the people who suck Mike Rowe's cock for his dumbass "show up early, stay late, volunteer to do every lovely job" mentality.

Is it impossible for you to believe someone might enjoy the job they have currently, and want to continue doing it even if they weren't forced to by necessity?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm also 25, maybe you're just an old curmudgeon

Am I out of touch?

No, it’s the shoppers who are wrong.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Since we don't have a general cities or transportation thread I figured I'd put this here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/nyregion/new-york-subway-construction-costs.html

Story from the NYT about why subway construction in New York City is hilariously more expensive than anywhere else in the world ($1.5 billion - $2.5 billion per mile, compared to $450 million per mile in Paris). The story picks out staffing costs, "soft cost" inflation, and bad contracting practices (including corruption, though the story doesn't come right out and say it).

Includes a guy from London rolling his eyes at NYC claiming the city is too old to do this cheaply, and someone from Paris talking about how they thought their project was expensive but uhhh

I know there's an article out there somewhere comparing NYC and other American cities to Europe and Asia but I can't find it at the moment. US cities are generally always towards the top.

Here's a thread expanding on the MTA's terribleness and the constant insistence on innovation, rather than just copying successful systems that work in other countries:

https://twitter.com/mtsw/status/946488823478972416

edit: see if you can find The Weirdest Guy Ever in the mentions on this thread

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 29, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Toys 'R Us as a symbol of the failure of private equity rather than the failure of retail generally:

https://twitter.com/ObsoleteDogma/status/974721070405160963

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hadn't seen this posted but since Sears filed for bankruptcy I thought this was a pretty interesting look into how it made shopping easier for black people through anonymity:

https://twitter.com/louishyman/status/1051872187047661571

There's a whole thread to read if you like. This same guy also has a really interesting book on the history of consumer debt in America if anyone is looking for some reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

If they do that, they’ll push themselves out of business too, because people go to Amazon to choose from an enormous range of products not one “AmazonsBasics” product.

Speak for yourself, if Amazon can identify one good phone charger cord out of the hundreds listed on their website and sell it to me I'm fine with that