Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Can we talk about other large chains as well? I'd like to ask about HMV - specifically, what the gently caress.

HMV's were in every Canadian mall I'd ever been in, including the mall I moved next to in 2010. They sold your typical HMV stuff - mostly music, movies, posters, DVD and a bit of IP merch. In 2011 or '12 the location closed as the mall underwent renovation. It popped up as a temporary, half-sized store for 3 months around Christmas of '13, then disappeared again. They were selling about twice as much IP merch this time, but still mostly music/movies.

Two months ago HMV re-appears. The approach they've taken is this - take Spencers, Hot Topic and EB and cram it all into one store. Also a couple of racks of CDs, I guess.

You have your wall of FunKo figures, your poster section covering music, movies, anime and memes; you have a selection of actual new releases on vinyl, record players, and framed art prints of all the major Marvel characters. There's hoodies, sleeping bags, collectable busts, charms and every other kind of thing you could slap an IP on. For lack of a better word, the selection was schizophrenic. It's like the CEO googled "what do nerds buy" and stocked the whole chain with the top 200 results.

Honestly I really enjoy reading these threads about businesses failing to adapt while their new CEO tries "this one trick" that's going to save the company, for real! I'd like to know if there's some bizarre story behind this sudden change, and if it's working at all. (it worked a little bit I did buy my first cd in a decade for my old rear end vehicle after looking around)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU