Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Cicero posted:

Only semi-related to this discussion, but interesting enough to warrant a crosspost: Amazon just announced a checkout-less retail store - https://www.amazon.com/b?node=16008589011

So not only is Amazon crushing existing big box stores via online shopping, now they're going to move in on their brick and mortar turf as well.

Sam's Clubs around me are already doing a similar thing. You scan the item barcode on your phone as you shop. You pay from your phone and show the phone receipt at the door like you would a paper one. It's a pretty painless process, except for getting the barcode on a giant box of something to scan right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I think Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace are in a bit of a different category. They're big box stores but they're been able to expand because they carry a lot of stuff that you either have to have quickly or want to see in person. Plus the whole tool rental thing is a godsend when you need something for one project.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I live real close to a KMart. I only really shop there because of a combination of "gently caress Walmart" (which is like 20 minutes away) and the fact that the only Target nearby is like 15 minutes away and like 50% more expensive than the KMart. I only go there for limited things; the store is dirty, the staff is indifferent and obviously an underpaid skeleton crew, and some things you buy there just aren't good quality. It's fine if I need a new mop, soap, or some Drano or something but other than that? Nope.

The Target is much nicer but it's just so far out of the way and way more expensive. Busier but a lot of its business is I assume suburbanites shopping there because those people go to Walmart or KMart.

It is however very amazing that KMart still exists at all. That company has been sinking for like 25 years.

Buy your cleaning supplies at the dollar store. Seriously. They usually have a whole wall of them and it's all the same drat chemicals.