Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
gildan is one of the worst companies in canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Dash Buttons are a fine way to help an elderly person manage their own inventory. "Mom, if you're running out of stuff, push the button."

The people complaining seem to be implying that I should buy my own poo poo locally and carry it home to save the environment from the burdensome cardboard boxes that I recycle and use to ship things I resell on eBay, but I don't own a car and am riding public transit to save the environment, so carrying an 12 pack of paper towels is out of the question.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Cicero posted:

Yes, it's technically possible. It's just cumbersome.

And using Amazon ain't any worse for the environment than driving somewhere yourself anyway. Possibly it's better.

Technically possible? People have been walking to the grocery store with these things for decades. I'm guessing you just live a lovely american city where you have to drive everywhere. Too bad.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Five gets you ten the delivery counts as contract work.

i bet they'll pay per piece, $1 per parcel or something like that. That way they can weasel out of all sorts of stuff.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

fishmech posted:

The thing to remember is that losses from vacancies don't mean that much when the owners of the building are making plenty of money from high rents elsewhere. My understanding is that the losses are usually on the order of a few cents per square foot per month that goes vacant, as that's the total costs needed for maintenance that must be done to keep the space rentable later.

So if you have say 500 square feet of former store space sitting vacant, you're maybe spending $10 on that space as the landlord per month while nobody rents it. That's not 0 or anything, but it's hardly something that's going to make them think cutting from their existing $5 per square foot per month asking price for $2500 a month is worth it. They could leave the space empty for 20 years and a month at $5 per square foot would more than make up for those losses.

That's retarded, you're not including the forgone rent.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

fishmech posted:

You shouldn't do that, because that's not a real direct loss. Their actual losses from leaving a space vacant are vanishingly small.

You might as well claim that since they could get $100 a square foot on a choice block in Manhattan, that renting out your strip mall space in Irvine must actually be a massive loss at only $5 a square foot.

NOPE

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

got any sevens posted:

This is why there should be a vacancy tax

Many cities, such as Toronto, do the opposite and subsidize commercial vacancies by exempting them from property taxes.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

fishmech posted:

Exactly, claiming losses based on nobody wanting to buy at a given price is ludicrous. The only real losses are the extremely minor upkeep costs.

Glad you saw reason for once instead of buying in to landlordist propaganda.

You're dumb as gently caress

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

fishmech posted:

a loss, is simply money you couldn't make

no really, gee thanks smartest kid in america

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

go look up what the accounting definition of a loss is please, then return

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

fishmech posted:

The accounting definition of a loss is a decrease outside of normal operations. A lease not being renewed is surely normal operations.

You are so loving dumb omg

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

youre loving retarded fishmech

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

the waltons are collectively worth far more

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

and the ceo doesnt give a gently caress because theyre already multi millionaires anyway

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

Not quite. The private equity firms assumed ownership of Toys R Us with the hope that they could turn it around and then sell it (either unload it to someone else or IPO) within 5-8 years, but they failed. And this loss is passed on to the banks (who presumably get first dibs on the corpse) and private equity investors.

Edit: or so it was explained to me. Maybe that's just the high finance propaganda bullshit line.

Edit2: after thinking about this more, there's no way the individuals involved in these LBOs aren't making mad bank from doing them

yeah and also in the 5-8 years they get to charge hundreds of millions in "consultancy" and "transaction" fees

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Reveilled posted:

How do the lenders make money off these? If the hedge fund sells everything of value, does the liquidation actually make the lender back the loan they gave to the hedge fund in the first place?

in toys r us example, they charged about 400 million in interest per year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

a minimum wage worker unconcerned with your problem?? well i never,