Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Different segments are going to be under different amounts of pressure. The worst-off are entertainment and electronics, which are doomed because content is all going to digital distribution and hardware prices are crashing. Barnes & Noble is probably hosed and Best Buy might be hosed (I'm really skeptical that what's left on their sales floor makes enough money to justify their real estate footprint, especially since the items most exposed to competition from Amazon are the bulky electronics that justify their huge size in the first place). Office stores are probably hosed because they're basically just electronics, furniture, and stationary, the first two are dying to Amazon and the third is dying to Wal-Mart.

Stores that depend largely on clothing sales might be OK since those benefit from changing rooms and inspection, and pantry/grocery have a pretty large "need-it-now" factor.

Wal-Mart is actually having a different set of problems anyway: It has too many stores that are competing with each other and it's losing a lot of sales to places like Walgreens that are more conveniently located. Wal-Mart Express was supposed to expand them to rural areas, but that was a bust (probably because they were awful).

The empty shells of these things will be an interesting thing to watch though. A lot of them aren't getting converted into new retail, but instead are winding up with novelties that take up a ton of floor space like indoor racing and trampoline parks.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

So while I think that repackaging themselves as not just retail outlets, but service and entertainment centers, might help a little, but it doesn't seem to be a full strategy.
B&N is planning to close a third of their stores, so they're not doing well regardless, and this is despite the fact that their biggest brick-and-mortar competitor (Borders) closed.

Fun anecdote: 10 years ago, if you walked into a Best Buy, movies and music were like a third of the store. Today, they're about 3 short aisles. Best Buy had other product categories that they could expand into that space though, but if retail book sales fall through, B&N is going to be a coffee shop the size of a Staples, and they're mostly located in shopping malls where the leases are really expensive.

There's another important but infrequently-cited factor too: Non-fiction sales are being eroded by the availability of information on the Internet. The only silver lining is that e-reader share is stagnant at around 20%, so print is here to stay for a while at least.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Since I already brought up Best Buy shrinking the hell out of their music and movie sections, keep in mind that's another issue with specialty stores too: If the market turns against their specialty, they're dead, and then there's an empty storefront and a product category that you can't buy anywhere. Big box stores tend to be a bit better-defended against that because they can adjust to market shifts (including introducing new product categories) by just changing their floorplan.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Sears brought in a hedge fund idiot for CEO that only thinks about short-term shareholder returns, so he spent all of their money on share buybacks instead of improving stores, now the stores are dilapidated and nobody shops there any more, so now he's selling off Sears' brands and liquidating stores for more quick money.

Of all the big box store deaths coming up, Sears is probably going to be the one that was most avoidable.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 8, 2016

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

The Service Merchandise model is a bit challenging because on one hand a showroom is very space-inefficient in terms of inventory distribution, but some of that inefficiency can be offset by having a dense warehouse.

Thing is, we already have low-labor places like Costco and ALDI that stock their sales floor by dropping a pallet on it and breaking the shrink wrap. They're considered niche because even Wal-Mart has drastically better merchandising. So, that factor definitely needs to be considered. At the same time, merchandising is a big labor sink because these stores are full of irregularly-sized irregularly-distributed product that has to be constantly reset due to customers ruffling it.

The cashier position is really the most-threatened position right now. Wal-Mart has been trying to push for RFID for a long time to get rid of cashiers and heavily reduce inventory costs, but haven't had much luck for various reasons. Amazon Go is really just another way of doing the same thing and honestly could have been done a long time ago with RFID.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What's stopping Amazon from building a little room on to the front of their warehouses where the public can pick up an online order or browse Amazon.com at a touchscreen kiosk?
Location and zoning mainly. Warehouses are typically on enormous plots in industrial zones where accessibility to trucks is far more important than accessibility to commercial traffic.

There aren't very many of them either, they're just enormous and they serve very large areas. Amazon has 88 distribution centers in the entire US.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 12, 2016

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Horseshoe theory posted:

Best Buy has somehow staggered away from being pulled into the abyss the last few years (just like Barnes & Noble), which is bizarre since their profit margins are made on poo poo like cables and not the TVs, refrigerators, etc (which often are loss leaders).
Extended warranties and service are also huge cash cows for them, but those depend on the products being valuable enough that people are worried about it breaking and the warranty prices mostly scale with the price of the item, so falling prices hurt that. I'm honestly not sure what's keeping Best Buy afloat other than their major competitors dying off. I'm guessing it's mobile since everything else that they sell has been in long-term price decline or moving out of retail entirely. So, we'll see how that goes I guess, but I'm guessing that $500 phones aren't going to be a thing forever.

Speaking of Macy's, one of their closures is apparently in a mall near where I used to live that's in the process of converting the mall into an outlet center. Apparently they're having a hard time getting people to give enough of a poo poo any more so their solution is to give make them give a poo poo by just sending prices to the floor, and outlet centers are the only retail sector that's growing. Maybe that's another future in the cards for retail, the end of high-markup "shopping experiences."

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

Best Buy has become cemented, through services like Geek Squad, as the place to go for paid computer / general electronic help. Not to you or me so much, but a big enough swathe of the general market.

Circuit City was trying to do that under their Firedog (I think that was the branding?) service, but the recent recession killed them before they could manage it.
Geek Squad is a weird case because it's an enormous success of branding, more than anything.

quote:

Most similar stores I can think of in a similar domain are places like Micro Center which are nationwide but only a few per area if present at all, or places like Fry's just aren't national. And then assorted fully regional operators, like New York City area's PC Richard & Son.
Sort of, but while there aren't really stores doing what Best Buy does, there are more stores selling what were Best Buy's major draws. Wal-Mart and Target expanded their TV selection, Home Depot and Lowes have expanded quite a bit and they sell a lot of appliances, mobile is everywhere, including the huge volume of carrier-branded retail stores. I guess they're still the last major national store that carries a decent computer selection? But prices are in the gutter there and if tablets suck the life out of it, then it might not matter.

I thought they were struggling at one point due to TV prices falling and mobile saved them, but mobile is turning hyper-competitive.

quote:

(some random best buy guy might be getting paid by Verizon for instance).
Vendor sales reps have been a thing for a loooong time.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Retail places used to make a point of ensuring that there was somebody somewhere who knew stuff about what was being sold.
Yeah except there's a slew of expertise about practically any product available online, including user reviews, so people are increasingly walking into stores knowing exactly what they want and they don't give a poo poo about anything but price at that point, so the value of having knowledgeable sales staff has tanked.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Yes this. Like the Apple guy who screwed up JC Penny.
What's going on with Sears is orders of magnitudes worse. Like JCP's plans sounded like the thing that you could make a long shot case for working outside of, you know "JCP is a mall anchor and you can't do everyday low pricing at malls because the rent is too high," and they wised up pretty fast to the fact that it was failing and started reversing course.

Sears by comparison is chasing an impossible and barely coherent long-term goal that has nothing to do with their current business via a management strategy that's completely insane.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I don't really understand what the appeal of Kmart is even supposed to be, it's like someone decided to just make a Wal-Mart clone except with prices higher than Target.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'm talking $60+ for DS (not 3DS) games and $23+ for loving music CDs.
TBF that's kind of meaningless as far as Kmart is concerned, when a store goes out of business they hire a liquidator and the liquidators just set all of the item prices to whatever they feel like, which can and very frequently does include jacking them up.

rscott posted:

For a long time the biggest distinguishing feature of Kmart was that they had layaway and Walmart didn't but then I guess they got rid of it
They got rid of it after credit cards had become so widespread that there was no point, why bother putting something in layaway when you can just charge it and take it home?

But then the other point of layaway was that their prices were poo poo unless something was on sale, whereas their competitors' prices weren't poo poo. Maybe if Kmart was one step above Target in quality, it'd make sense, but I don't remember it ever being even one step above Wal-Mart.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Is retail as a concept really threatened or are we just undergoing a generational shift in which stores succeed? Because I look at that list and all those stores sold shoddy, ugly garbage that people can't really be expected to want to buy anymore. They're mostly mall stores, and malls were a bad idea that's rightly fading away. Wet Seal, BCBG, and Bebe all sell teen girl clothing at an awkward price point where middle-class kids can't really afford to buy it without parental help, but it's not nice or stylish enough to attract wealthy shoppers. Forever 21 and Brandy Melville are much cheaper and trendier, and the staple clothing people used to buy at Sears and Macy's people now just by at Walmart and Target, where again it's much cheaper.
Retail has always been very volatile and has already weathered a huge number of high-profile closings. It's a fairly inflexible model to begin with because of the long-term leases and the reputational difficulties of changing product categories, so even in good conditions, you're going to see stores close. Remember that Macy's itself is largely built out of bought-out defunct department stores.

There's also a level of general economic malaise among the middle class, consumer spending is still not back to pre-crisis levels and personal debt levels are high, especially among fresh college graduates that have had to contend with rapidly-rising education costs. Places that are on the upper end of the price scale are in a very bad position if people decide that they need to worry about their personal finances, and most mall stores fall into that category, so no surprise that malls are getting hammered. Outlet stores are the only retail category that's growing because people want stuff cheap.

Service-oriented sales and "shopping experiences" are suffering because the Internet is causing a lot of people to do all of their product research before they even come into the store. Online ordering is severely impacting categories driven by specific products like iPhones and media. Sears is committing seppuku at the altar of Ayn Rand. Through all of that, retail sales are down in general.

So, it's partly a generational shift, partly an economic problem, and partly individual cases of stupidity.

I don't know if malls are really a bad idea, but the retail sector is overexposed to Internet competition and needs to shrink, and the parts of it that amount to "upper middle class shopping experience" are in an unsustainable niche unless the economy improves more.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 12, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

A lot of malls tried transitioning to those lovely "lifestyle centers" where all the stores have outside entrances on a fake main street sort of road, but those seem to be doing even worse - and that's for good reason, that was always a lovely sort of idea. All the inconvenience of a place you have to drive out to, none of the convenience of having an enclosed temperature controlled area when going between shops.
I've always heard those called "shopping villages" and they make sense in more southern parts of the country with consistently mild climate.

I don't know if it was really overbuilding at the time when almost everything was sold at retail stores, and a lot of mall closures were just due to bets on the local economy that didn't pan out, or newly-developed competition.

As far as redevelopment going forward, I think that there's going to be a huge mess in the next couple years when a lot of malls are left with two empty anchors from Macy's and Sears closures and no clear successor. That'll be completely lethal to a lot of smaller malls that only have 3-4 anchors to begin with. Macy's has been the plan B for years now, but if they fail, then what? Malls that are declining but are in well-developed areas can convert some space to mixed-use, I've seen a few convert lots on the lower-traffic end into office space and professional services. AFAIK another big trend for mall survival lately has been to add more restaurants to promote a sort of shop-and-dine experience, but those wind up having to be new construction due to the ventilation and restroom requirements, so that doesn't solve the problem of the stores doing poorly.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 13, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

Perhaps, but a lot of those Southern places are pretty unpleasant over the summer months, what with the heat and humidity. Really well planned and thought out ones can deal with it, many of the projects don't have that level of care.
Yes, but it's not nearly as serious of an issue as rain and snow.

By "southern" I meant pretty much anything at a southern latitude too, they're all over the place in California for completely predictable reasons.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Inventory optimization isn't necessarily an issue of where decisions are made, Wal-Mart has a very strong emphasis on it despite central decisionmaking.

The paradox of chain stores is that their whole thing is offering a consistent shopping experience in different markets, but now there's a question of how to balance the benefits of a consistent brand identity and economies of scale with being able to adapt to those markets. Not being as top-heavy is one way, but most of them have been becoming more top-heavy because unskilled labor is cheap, and more sophisticated data analysis might be better at discovering local trends than low-level employees anyway.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's actually no such thing as "unskilled labor."
You can call the term a misnomer if you want, but the point is to drive wages and churn costs to the floor by making the positions as replaceable as possible. Sam Walton may have been too idealistic since Wal-Mart has been driving other department stores under for a while by undercutting the poo poo out of them. The model of treating employees like raw material might be immoral, but it certainly works, and I don't see it improving when the Internet is driving things even more towards self-service.

The problem is also not just that they don't care, it's that caring has no effect because all of the details are dictated by corporate offices and aren't up for discussion. They see store-level decision making as a liability and actively suppress it. Fast food is probably the worst offender in that regard.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 22, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's also just a problem of increased industrialization and automation as well.
What I mean is that the problem exists on the other end too: They've been centralizing responsibilities that would make jobs less vulnerable to automation. It's not just a problem of low skill requirements, but low skill ceilings.

As an example, I used to work at a computer store where all of the merchandising was done store-level. It wound up becoming experiment-driven to a large extent, like a clip strip of TrueImage boxes at the end of the hard drive aisle became a staple because it was just tried one week and it was selling multiple copies per day so it stayed. There are a lot of chain stores where doing that is impossible, the only thing anyone can do is take orders from above.

I don't know how well giving more responsibility to lower-level employees would really work though compared to discovering opportunities through more sophisticated data analysis.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Apparently for all the talk of K-Mart being a shittier Wal-Mart or Target, Target isn't doing well either:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-target-results-idUSKBN16719S

One thing I've seen blamed for that: Shoppers moving out of suburbs, resulting in a lot of underperforming locations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

hhgregg was as profitable as Best Buy (in percentage terms at least) until their sudden implosion over the past 3 years, which as far as I can tell is due to 2 things: One is that their sales are down 21% since 2012, probably because they only sell 2 product categories and one of those categories (TVs) has tanked in price. They're an electronics retailer without a mobile department. Best Buy's are down too, but only 9% and they're still making money.

The other is they posted $70M worth of writedowns largely due to a bunch of former Circuit City locations turning out to not be worth what they paid, most of which are now closing. Oops.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 5, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

IIRC Sears has a bunch of debt maturing this summer, so a lot of bets are that they'll be dead in June. That'll be the beginning of the mallpocalypse since nobody is going to replace them.

Re: Walgreens, drug stores get 60-70% of their revenue from pharmacy and they're probably raking in stupid amounts of money from old Boomers. Everything else in their store is poo poo nobody wants to wait for, so they're mostly immune to Amazon, and they expand like crazy because they compete on convenience.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 23, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Oh hey I saw some more "Store Closing" signs in the neighborhood today, looks like Gander Mountain is closing 32 locations.

glowing-fish posted:

Pharmacy meaning prescriptions or any type of health products?
Prescriptions.

quote:

If they are getting that much money from the pharmacy, why even have the other products? Are toys and snacks basically a loss leader so people will think of Walgreens and then buy their prescriptions there?
I'm not sure why they do it that way, but I'd imagine that there's a reason that the pharmacy is in the back of the store.

OhFunny posted:

Clearly trying to move away from video game sales, which have shifted to online downloads.
There are two big problems for them embedded in that: GameStop makes most of their money on used sales, but downloads can't be resold, and digital distributors have been shifting towards loyalty programs and aggressive sales of back catalog to undercut the used market.

OwlFancier posted:

What is "technology brand" if not electronics? Which, uh, isn't doing so well either?
Their Simply Mac, Simply Mobile, and Cricket Wireless subsidiaries. (AT&T owns Cricket but GameStop operates their retail stores.)

Ammanas posted:

The customer service arms race was after the recession when everyone was panicking to 'return' to 2005 levels of sales. Now everyone is panicking to simply stay alive. Thankfully return policies are tightening up after a stunning level of graft and exploitation by thieves.
Returning items without a receipt has long been standard practice at a lot of retailers, the usual safeguards are valuing it at its lowest price from the last 30 days and returning it as a store gift card (so you can't profit off of it unless you're doing some crazy arbitrage poo poo).

The other safeguard is just been that people are honest enough on average that taking losses on stupid returns is worth not pissing off customers, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's been an uptick of it due to people publicizing information about how to exploit return policies and other store practices on the Internet, like that big mess when someone posted a guide on how to forge coupon barcodes that for some reason weren't using a whitelist, complete with a picture of a Wal-Mart receipt of a PS3 paid for with a fake coupon.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 25, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Every Payless I've ever seen is in the worst possible location of whatever property they're on, like in a corner right next to the main entrance of a mall anchor.

I missed this from last month, Urban Outfitters CEO cited some interesting things during a conference call:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-08/urban-outfitters-tumbles-as-ceo-warns-retail-bubble-has-burst

quote:

“The U.S. market is oversaturated with retail space and far too much of that space is occupied by stores selling apparel,” he said. “Retail square feet per capita in the United States is more than six times that of Europe or Japan. And this doesn’t count digital commerce.

Too much square footage was added in the 1990s and early 2000s, with thousands of stores opening, he said.

“This created a bubble, and like housing, that bubble has now burst,” he said. “We are seeing the results: Doors shuttering and rents retreating. This trend will continue for the foreseeable future and may even accelerate.”

They've also frozen expansion because they'd rather sign leases after rent prices crash.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 6, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So landlord greed is more to blame than actual sales collapse? Color me shocked.
Definitely not just that, the "too many stores selling apparel" thing leads into what he called a "promotional environment," where so many stores are selling the same thing that they're increasingly relying on discounts to bring shoppers in, so margins are getting squeezed heavily too. The stores were totally involved in the glut, everyone was following an expand-or-die mentality driven by the rapid expansion of competitors.

Phil Wahba had another interesting take on it:

http://fortune.com/2017/03/08/urban-outfitters-bubble/

Highlights: Retail sales are up 4%, but down at department stores, the stores doing well are places like Ulta Beauty that offer a more "experiential" shopping experience, luxury stores aren't doing well either because they've been transitioning away from brand exclusivity and that's led to the same problem, and he thinks that department stores are going to have to shrink their store count by about half.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 6, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Tops I'm not sure about and would be interested in details. They bailed out of the northeast Ohio market due to competition, which is hardly surprising since grocery is notoriously low-margin and swamped with stiff regional competition.

The remainder of its business is mostly in upstate New York, especially Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse. All three have been in long-term population decline due to Rust Belt malaise, but the local grocery competition is very limited.

AFAIK they've only shuttered one NY location and that one was in a terrible location that seems to have been designed to have as little visibility from the road as possible.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

If you remember what I just said about an "experiential" shopping experience, the Apple Store is a prime example of that, and it works because Apple sells gadgets. It's not clear that the same model would make sense with clothing.

There's also the fact that Apple is an extremely powerful brand, whereas consumer clothing is much more competitive.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/851040113467555841

Welp.

Also the video in the linked Bloomberg article is worth watching, hedge fund dude basically saying every retailer was reporting that this was just a merchandising problem and they were fine with their footprint at the end of last year, then the weak holiday hit, and now all of them are talking about shrinking, and they're talking about "sales recapture," a.k.a. canning weak locations that are near enough to another location, and that with every retailer thinking the same thing, weak malls are going to get really screwed really fast. Also predicts JCPenney needs to close another 100 locations, and that there are "about 50" smaller chains (I'm guessing mid-mall stores and regional chains) that are on the brink of bankruptcy.

glowing-fish posted:

Wal-Mart and Target, because they have a wide range of merchandise, and a lot of it is low-cost and perishable.
Target is reportedly doing mediocre right now.

The only things I've heard doing well are "fast fashion" retailers (H&M, Zara), off-price retailers (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, Ross), and outlets.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 11, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It's easy to link this to how crushingly poor people are now, and I don't want to downplay that, but in the women's clothing retail space it's significant that these are close to the only brick-and-mortar stores that carry the sizes women are buying. If the average American woman is a 14 and stores only carry up to 12 they can't really act shocked that sales are down. Not as much is written about men's clothing options in extended sizing, but my impression is it isn't quite as bad because the "normal" range is bigger. A statistically-average dude can buy work clothes at the Gap, while a statistically-average woman can't.

We tie a lot of baggage to clothing and body size and this of course isn't the place to get into that. It's not really my battle to fight anyway. But I can't think of too many other industries where people are walking in cash-in-hand saying "I want to buy X" and retailers are going "gently caress you, we only sell Y."
I can't speak for H&M/Zara, and I could be missing something important, but off-price retailers are just surplus inventory liquidators, so they're not getting anything special and have extremely unstable selections, so I'd expect any selection-related problems to be even worse there.

It's sounding like the main difference is just that they're able to differentiate themselves by price from what is an extremely overcrowded sector.

Another thing I'm wondering about is how much Internet-fueled price research has to do with this (not clothing, but retail problems in general). The whole idea of loyal customers willing to come in to a familiar store and buy something at full price is completely boned.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 11, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

CheeseSpawn posted:

This article in newsweek talked about the environmental consequences.
http://www.newsweek.com/2016/09/09/old-clothes-fashion-waste-crisis-494824.html
If there's anything that makes me sort of doubt the "people are being more careful with their money" explanation, the fact that people are going through an average of 80lbs of clothes per year is it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

The other problem with "jobs not coming back" is that I'm pretty sure e-commerce employs significantly fewer people compared to their sales volume. Obviously that ignores a lot of factors (wages, secondary jobs like couriers, etc.), but just a rough snapshot of revenue per employee:

Costco: $942,063
Amazon: $398,768
Best Buy: $316,224
Wal-Mart: $211,247
Macy's: $163,225

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Bebe has gone bye-bye, 168 stores to close.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I knew costco paid well, I guess that partially explains how they're able to do that.
The "how" is more a matter of will than anything. Wal-Mart can afford to pay their employees more, and Costco can get away with paying their employees less. Costco's been under constant pressure from Wall Street to cut their employee pay and have repeatedly refused.

Speaking of warehouse clubs, apparently Amazon may be looking at buying BJ's, which could create the ultimate retail doomsday device.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 23, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Late stage capitalism is loving weird as hell
The experiment on those is still being run, but a lot of what investors are doing now reminds me of the Dotcom Bubble, throwing shitloads of money at rapidly-expanding tech brands that haven't proven that they have a profitable business model. We're either going to wind up with the New Economy, or it's all going to explode, and there's the comedy outcome of these highly-disruptive tech companies being disrupted out of their own market niche by other companies.

Solkanar512 posted:

There was a thing on Nightly Business Report (PBS business news) talking about this very issue. They found that despite the issues we're talking baout here, rent had increased slightly and occupancy was stable. Many of the closed stores were being replaced with high end gyms, restaurants and other "experience" based businesses.
Totally anecdotal, but all of the dead mall anchors (and some big box stores) that I've seen replaced have been stuff like indoor raceways and trampoline parks.

glowing-fish posted:

I would say building on a retail complex might save 20% off of building from scratch?
I'm guessing that if it's practical to convert old factories into office space and mixed use, which is pretty common, then it's practical to do the same to a mall. You'd still have to gut the interior, but things like "the Cinnabon kiosk" would cease to exist, mid-mall stores are separated by walls that can be easily removed. Sewer AFAIK isn't actually that big of a problem as malls already have significant sewer capacity for the employee restrooms that you just never see.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

ultravoices posted:

Old factories and mills are made of brick and steel and have features like windows which are often charming. We've also been programmed to see conversions of those spaces as desirable.

Dead malls are grim blasted hellscapes with leaky roofs and no windows and blueprints unsuited to the living space of real people.
Converting a mall into residential isn't really practical, converting it into office space probably is though.

fishmech posted:

I forgot to mention earlier but, major shopping centers usually have pretty good public transportation if the area has public transit at all. It's not uncommon in the least for a big mall or something to become a de facto hub for transit routes in suburbia and spread out areas of certain cities.
This is completely true, but might be beside the point since the malls and shopping centers most at risk of failure are the underperforming ones in more remote locations, especially if there's a major shopping center not far away.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been posted in this thread yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h78geZglBiQ&t=101s

For the most part they just sit there.
Well, this kind of covers one common trajectory of failing malls, which is that they go into terminal decline but never actually close, the rents go to the floor, they start picking up no-name tenants selling cheap stuff, open businesses concentrate at a specific part of the store while the rest is vacant. There's really no way out of that state without a massive redevelopment project to repurpose the mall though.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

I thought the Tiger Direct retail storefronts with CompUSA branding got dropped a few years back? If you go on the CompUSA site now they don't even list any of their own products, it's just some sort of search engine for Amazon etc.
IIRC TigerDirect had set up outlet stores with their own branding before their parent company purchased CompUSA. With the CompUSA purchase, they took over 16 CompUSA locations but also rebranded their existing TigerDirect outlets as CompUSA, and ran them all according to the TigerDirect outlet model.

Then they bought Circuit City, which they didn't use for anything but website branding. In 2012 they changed their mind and dumped both brands to consolidate everything under TigerDirect again. Last year, Systemax sold the division to PCM and closed all but 3 retail locations.

hakimashou posted:

Costco doesnt use shopping bags I don't think, they always reuse product boxes when they pack your stuff up for you to take home.
Costco doesn't need to use shopping bags because everything they sell is in a giant package that's already the size of a shopping bag.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Holy poo poo. That was fast.
"Fast" is an odd word to hear about RadioShack's hilariously drawn out death. I had to check when the Onion's Even CEO Can't Figure Out How RadioShack Still In Business article was written and it was over 7 years ago.

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Probably because Tigerdirect sucks.

gently caress even Newegg isn't half of what it was. Everyone gets crushed by Amazon.
I'm not sure what the deal with TigerDirect's retail stores was, it was probably a bit experimental, but the obvious way that it contrasted with the original CompUSA, Circuit City, and Best Buy was that it was much less flashy and much more obviously a discount-ish store. That was probably a bit more realistic with computers becoming increasingly commodified, but if that failed, then the entire idea of a "computer store" is probably just boned forever.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Not all companies offer commercial insurance though.
IIRC the problem isn't so much availability as that it jacks the rates up quite a bit, and this is for a job that's already minimum wage, highly dependent on tips, and puts a ton of mileage on the vehicle.

I was talking with some drivers while looking at doing pizza delivery and it seemed like everyone had the same idea: Take out a personal policy, and if they got in a crash, lie to their insurance company.

So, yeah, it's pretty much capitalism at its finest, make a job that dumps a ton of non-obvious expenses on employees, doesn't pay enough to cover it, and gets all of the employees to rely on tax fraud and insurance fraud to make it work.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 3, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Lote posted:

Interestingly, Target, Costco, Walmart and other grocery stores are getting crushed in the stock market today.
I'd think Costco and Wal-Mart should be among the less-worried chains since they're largely competing on price, it's the mid-level grocers that have nowhere to go if Amazon can get Whole Foods' prices down.

Maybe the bigger problem though is that if this is Amazon's foot in the door of brick-and-mortar sales, then it might expand into other categories..

Baronjutter posted:

Haha holy poo poo Amazon
"Amazon granted a patent that prevents in-store shoppers from online price checking"
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/15/15812986/amazon-patent-online-price-checking
In 5 years everyone that shops at Whole Foods is going to have an unlimited high-speed mobile data plan so I'm not sure why they're bothering.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

One of the more interesting takes I've seen re: the Whole Foods buyout is that Whole Foods isn't actually doing so well and Amazon may not even care about their grocery business as much as their urban real estate, so they could do anything from shrink their grocery operations in favor of warehouse space and fulfillment to turn them into some sort of hybrid store, or (probably more far-fetched) scrap their grocery operations entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

idk with zoning and everything
I don't mean like turning it into a warehouse with no sales (which would certainly violate zoning codes), I'm thinking more like doing what Wal-Mart did when they made Supercenters, except in the other direction, converting into a combination of grocery and whatever an "Amazon store" is. It'd also allow them to do what Wal-Mart is trying to do, use a large physical footprint to complement their online operations and potentially get a lot of hot items closer to their point of delivery.

e: Here's one of the articles making the point I guess, which probably reinforces what archangelwar is saying:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-amazon-logistics-delivery-20170616-story.html

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 18, 2017