Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

One of my favorite Big Box stories just happened a few years ago.

Target decided to open up a bunch of stores in Canada and once they realized people didn't want a more expensive Wal-Mart with less stock the sales tanked. In a gross overeaction Target decided to close all 133 stores.

The best part is they decided to pay the CEO a severance more than all the other employees combined:

"Gregg Steinhafel took a total of $61 million U.S. from Target when he left the company last spring, according to Fortune's calculations. Meanwhile, the fund Target set up to pay employees as it winds down operations over the next four months is set at $56 million U.S. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/21/target-ceo-severance-canadian-workers_n_6517272.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Amused to Death posted:

Our very busy supermarket just installed Walmart type bagging carousels at half our human check out lanes. And its definitely not for customer service, they suck, the lines are backing up worse than ever(and theres fewer people up front to help with anything that pops up). But it cuts down on front end labor needs since it eliminates baggers. The front end employees are usually the worst paid, but they also by far consume the most hours

, and our company has clearly decided on the "chase profit by cutting payrol" strategy, which is honestly a pretty loving dumb strategy for a company to shift to a century into its existence when 1. Its angering all your customers because this isnt what they expect, and 2. You have huge payroll obligations to all the older employees already from when it was a good place to work

There are two quick ways to generate more revenue for a quarter, the first way which anyone should try to do is to optimize your pricing. Charge more for goods that are in demand.

The second is to start "trimming the fat". Start cutting hours and personnel, start cutting expenses.

The second bleeds your employees rather than your customers, but what most don't realize you will enter a death spiral once you start cutting yourself too much. Or they do realize and they will jump ship once it starts sinking.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I've had that dream but actually did logistics for bars before hand and realized holy poo poo there is no money unless you have some sort of shady side operation going on (drugs).

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Lol having spare money to save
Lol2 believing it will still be there after the boomers burn everything down to live an extra few years
Lol3 wanting to live past the age of like 60-70 anyway. You know what my 90 year old grandma does all day? Nothing, because her hip's failing and she lives in a retirement village

Whats the galaxy brain next step?

lol if you don't think we will be hooked into VR retirement homes with legal weed at 90 years young

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

blowfish posted:

I hope he forgot to mention the at least 1 pair of underpants per 2-3 days because more time than that will get gross enough to make any possible money savings not worth it :v:

The trick is to wear them backwards when they get dirty, then inside out, then inside out and backwards

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

And now that residential schools are closed, racism is done forever so people expect Native people to just get jobs and get over it

Meanwhile people have the image of Natives as drunks/thieves/beggars so they won't hire them, while simultaneously hating on the equal opportunity programs that say you should hire some native people and this takes away a job from a white man somehow.

We also put their reserves in lovely locations, one in Ontario is near where Winnipeg gets it's drinking water but the reserve itself has had a drinking water advisory for years. We are literally waiting until the "problem" solves itself by having the reserves just die out

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Let me introduce you into the world of mechanical keyboards, where if you don't have a loudass keyboard then you are scum

Also they cost tons of money.

Makes no sense to me as I like shitposting quietly without my neighbours hearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

lol if you think the stemlords running amazon have even opened a history book on workplace organization

thats for liberal arts cucks