Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

bloodysabbath posted:

Today's victim: Starbucks is shutting down all Teavana stores. There were a few hundred of them, mostly in higher end malls. I guess taking out separate premium retail space selling expensive loving tea leaves instead of sticking them on shelves in the coffee shops people already go to was Bad Business.

I'm not even remotely shocked by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

self unaware posted:

Oh, don't worry, I don't buy their poo poo devices. But if you don't think forcing customers to use the apple store to service their devices wasn't a business decision designed to drive revenue I've got some waterfront real estate to sell you.

Oh for FS. Their devices aren’t poo poo. And what major android device has replaceable batteries in 2018? Not LG, or Samsung, or google pixels. Apple devices are expensive. But they are well built, the company values Individuals users privacy far, far more than google, and most importantly, iMessage and FaceTime work amazing across all their devices.

As for this thread, toys R Us just announced they are closing another 100+ stores

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

self unaware posted:

Like I said, I'm not saying there's a better alternative, but for me personally, Apple is a no-go due to that kind of anti-consumer baloney. There are plenty of laptops you can buy that don't have ram soldered to the motherboard. Smartphones are pretty much designed to be replaced every two years and none of the manufacturers seem interested in changing that (hmm, I wonder why) and yeah, all of the device makers doing that poo poo under the guise of "it's what the consumer wants!" re: usb-c ports, removing the headphone jack is just a load of crap. People have no choice.

You'll have a tough time proving the customers wanted to remove the headphone jack in the latest iteration of devices, but it's not hard to prove that it's going to drive more purchases of wireless headphones (which Apple will gladly sell you, surprise)

I get you don’t like the choices they make, and I’m not saying they are perfect. But to call them out for their anti-consumer baloney is laughable. Also, headphone jacks on their phone? Come on.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

learnincurve posted:

I’m posting this from an iPad so obviously that’s where my loyalties lie but it should be noted that my kid’s Samsung j7 2018 model has a replaceable battery. Maybe different countries or states have different laws or something?

I meant flagship phones. But fair point I suppose on some of the budget options

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

PT6A posted:

I predict a bunch of people will buy a whole bunch of poo poo they don't need at the Go store, trying to figure out ways to successfully shoplift from the Great Algorithm.

I like grocery shopping. I like going after the gym or after work or whatever, and going by my list. I don’t mind paying with my phone or with a credit card. And everyone talking about how it saves them time... blah. I’m guessing (I work 80+ hour a week running my business) that I have less time than most people do.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You work 80+ hours a week, go to the gym, grocery shop, and still have time to read these forums?

Really getting tired about people reflexively lying about how many hours they work. For reference, you're claiming you work MORE THAN 7:00am to 7:45pm with no lunch 7 days a week and still go to the gym and aren't annoyed by the time you spend grocery shopping.

Right.

I read it when I’m at the gym on the bike.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The thing was I tried to do the "actually work for the entire time you're there no goofing off" thing when I went to work for some startups and I can honestly say that consistent 60 hour workweeks will make you want to die. And I actually worked some no-poo poo 80 workweeks and it utterly wiped me out for 2 - 3 days afterwards, I literally had memory loss. I have nothing but respect for people on assembly lines or other monotasking job who are working 100% of the time and only get their mandated 10-minute breaks and lunches, it's hell.

Agreed. I’m doing 80 weeks for about the next month. Most of the time it’s 50 or 60hour work weeks. But I do what I love. I was just taking a shot more at the tech writers (Leo Laport on his podcast about amazon go comes to mind) and people acting like they are too busy to grocery shop, when they in fact have pretty cushy jobs and don’t work that much.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

What do you do, if I may ask and if you are comfortable sharing?

Run an online publishing company.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ryonguy posted:

I cut in half any hours claimed by anybody who touches a computer at a desk for a job. You play Excel for money. Get a Twitch account and start advertising on autism support forums.

When I said I work 80 hours (or the 50 to 60 I work most of the time,) that is including reading books. Since, it’s like, part of my job.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

eyebeem posted:

There’s lines because it’s novel and new. The hype will die down once the only visitors are tourists and people for whom the concept works.

Also the prices look like garbage compared to meal prepping or fast food.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FayGate posted:

Costco jeans are actually pretty great quality. They've lasted me around 4-5 years so far and at a great price in comparison to Levi's.

But their cut is very dad jeans. And I love Costco jackets and cargo shorts. Levi’s are the lowest priced denim nerd good looking jeans out there (depending on their cut.) their athletic fit cut also fits me better than any other cut out there. (Thin waist, very strong legs).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

withak posted:

You can't talk poo poo about the cut of dad jeans while also purporting to love cargo shorts.

Cargo shorts in the summer while rafting and hiking are Acceptable for fashion.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cicero posted:

Cheaper than Uniqlo?

I’ve never loved Uniqlo. As for Levi’s, yeah the crotch wears down, but over years. And the cut I like does stretch in the thigh area, which is great

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

At this point, I'm assuming he's just a troll. I've explained what a Ponzi scheme is, other's have. Netflix may well have a lovely unsustainable business model, I don't want to break out their 10-k and figure it out myself but I tend to doubt someone who just keeps insisting it's a Ponzi scheme, even when people politely explain why it isn't over and over.

I will say that Netflix has made me get back into buying a few “classic” shows when they go on sale on iTunes or dvd, and slowly rip them to a Plex server. I want HIMYM always, and same with Parks and Rec, and I’m eyeing the Batman animated series.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

screamin and creamin posted:

People who still buy DVDs deserve to be whacked in the rear end with a paddle unless they have 14" or smaller TVs or awful vision. Anyway, DVD had (has, sigh) 8 possible regions, six of which are used for groups of countries. Standard Blu-ray has 3 regions, but not all studios region-code their disks. Additionally, the US and Japan are in the same Blu-ray region. Blu-ray 4K doesn't have any provisions for region codes.

I’m about to buy 13 reasons why On dvd because I want the unedited version, and not the bullshit changes they made because people are bad at understanding mental health 😤

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Correlation/causation and all that. It was also right around when trump was elected so. And no, it didn’t romanticize suicide if you looked at the text of the show.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I wishh target would die as fast as sears did

How dare you. Target at least has some good poo poo and is way better than wall mart.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So does Walmart, and every other capitalist venture

Right, and the stores at least have okay prices on a lot of stuff, and I’m sorry, I want at least one box store around before everything goes to Amazon, which treats its workers like poo poo too.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Costco at least pays a good wage and benefits even if it's ultimately part of the same capitalist machine as everywhere else

Costco is not a big box store. Costco is church.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Everyone always raves about Costco, but it seems like most of the savings are on processed foods. I can get milk, meat, and produce at better prices at higher quality so I really don't get it.

Organic chicken breast, household staples, gas, cheap solid jackets, are just a few items I think are Best Buy’s there over most places. Not to mention their salmon burgers, canned goods and so on.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Bed bath and beyond is down 60 stores as of tonight

As long as bath and body works stays around selling their amazing candles, that’s fine.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

dont tell me you buy yankee candles

oh wait :goonsay: mother loves the smell

Yankee candles? I like the seasonal ones. Well, not the ones that smell like dessert, but the other ones.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

Don’t feel sad that malls are dieing.

But I like malls. It’s also a safe space for teens to hang out, and window shopping is way more fun that just ordering poo poo from amazon.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I just realized that I've seen so many those store closing and everything must go signs on a daily basis that they've become part of my normal everyday surroundings and I don't even register them anymore. drat, that's sad.

Is target, old navy, Costco, and Best Buy going to be okay? And Trader Joe’s of course. It’s all I really need other than restaurants....

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have some bad news about Best Buy, my friend.

I only care because they have stuff that’s great to try out (aka their an Apple stand to play with stuff since I don’t have an Apple store near me) and because I like their disk selection for blu rays and 4K.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

PT6A posted:

I looked it up and according to the FAA it's between one and two hours on average, I can't recall where I got three hours from.

Still, you shouldn't drink any amount and then drive. Not at bars, not at restaurants and not at cinemas. There's not really a safe level of intoxication when it comes to operating a vehicle, there's only a level that we're willing to accept. For bars and restaurants this is not an issue for me, there are tons within walking distance of where I live, but cinemas are typically located at the ends of the earth, so it's a lot less convenient to walk or get there by transit.

Don’t drink and drive. But you’re wrong here. Sorry, former bartender here. If I have a single cocktail with dinner out with friends, and am out and about for two hours, I’m fine to drive. So are most people.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I've actually gone out of my way to support Gamestop over the years, since I wanted them to keep having games and not just have it be box stores and Amazon. But they suck. But with the PS5, it will be my last purchase going into a GameStop. I pre ordered one, will trade in my PS4 pro towards the cost, and then i'm going all digital for PS5 games. My old ps4 games disk will work with it, and any ps4 games I don't own I'll grab cheap on sale online for black Friday. It's another thing I now won't have to leave my house for, and that's better.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Please don't do this.

I won't anymore, after I pick up my PS5 on November 12th. I only did because while they have always sucked, Amazon eating everything in front of them seemed worse long term. But frankly, I love apple stuff, and target stuff, and sometimes best buy stuff. So really, as long as those stores are around, I'm good. (Apple isn't going anywhere, and I don't think Target is either).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I pre ordered a PS5 (the one with a disk drive) in person back in September at Gamestop. Put money down. Today I went in, traded my PS4 pro towards it, and went to pay off the rest of the money I owed on it. They inform me that unless I upgrade it to a bundle pack, they would release my PS5. Requiring me to spend an extra $100 to get it. I did, but how loving scummy of them.

Last time I’m buying from them, glad I’m going digital for PS5 games.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 12, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I’m assuming this is GameStop?

Yeah, edited my OP. Shocker that you guessed it correctly right?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to buy a PS5? I don't mean this in a snarky way, I promise - I am just curious. I genuinely thought for a moment that they would be 100% backwards compatible from PS1 to PS4, which in retrospect seems ridiculous, but I would have spent $600 for such a thing. When I found out that that wasn't the case and it is only somewhat backwards compatible with the PS4 (again, I feel silly for even dreaming it), I lost all interest. Backwards compatibility is super important to me and I still have an old PS3 that plays PS2 and PS1 games. Nevertheless, I am interested in your reasons.

I also knew that it was GameStop, partially because that's what we've been talking about recently and partly because that sounds exactly like what they would do, and I am not the least surprised that they bait & switched you like that. I worked at a similar shoppe around the time of the PS2 long years ago and they did something similar then.

No snark read into the comment. it's really simple. I have a ton of PS4 games that I haven't played, but the PS4 sounds like a jet engine. I had a chance to upgrade, and down the line there's a list of games I want on the PS5. And I am a weirdo who likes physical movies media so having a good 4k player is also nice. So it's a list of things, and the PS4 games I do have will play better on the PS5 and all of them will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Sure, but not equally bad, and Shoplifting from a major chain is almost not bad at all.

But if your stated reasoning for being upset at shoplifting is that "it hurts workers" yet you mysteriously are quiet about labor practices and wage theft, it's obvious that you're getting worked up by tiktoks and tabloid news.

If it’s a chain it’s fair game baby.