Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

CommieGIR posted:

Didn't see it posted, but Sears is lopping off Craftsman and selling them to Black and Decker.

On the topic of dying retail chains, I discovered (To my utter fascination) that my rural country town has a Kmart in it. I went in out of a sense of morbid curiosity. It's like more expensive Walmart, too expensive to actually be Walmart, too lovely to be a Target. All the staff were wearing purple shirts with various cringe-inducing and canned slogans on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The reason big box retail continues to chug on like a shambling zombie is because there are many, many items that it doesn't make sense to order and wait for, and in many parts of the country, it's much easier to simply go to the Walmart, buy whatever you need from the poor bastard working there, and then go on your merry way.

If drone delivery turns out to be the blockbuster that it promises to be, I'm willing to bet a lot of money that big box retail will die a slow death in city centers, but will continue to live on in rural America. Why the gently caress would you go into the Walmart to get...I dunno, bleach, when you can just have it drone delivered in 20 minutes? Every time I see some new statistic on deliveries made, I'm reminded of that guy who tried to live off internet shipping in the early 00s. He wasn't wrong about the future, he was just thinking too far ahead.