Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Walmart will always be special to me.

The first time I cooked meth in a public restroom was in a Walmart.

Good times.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.b6f08fa837f9

While this thread is for big box stores in general, I only ever see stories like this about Walmart. While we've known for a while that Walmart effectively relies on taxpayers to subsidize their under-payed employees through food stamps, they've started applying that strategy to security. As in, not paying for adequate security and letting the local cops take care of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm not sure this characterization is fair - isn't there another lens where it's walmart subsidizing the government's care of its employees? Surely without walmart the government would only have to (or at least ought to) pay more to care for them. Sure, we can ask walmart to take on more of the burden, since they certainly benefit, but it seems more like walmart subsidizing food stamps in exchange for work than the other way around.

:psyduck: Uh, no.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What security ought walmart provide? Should every business provide its own security? Local police have an incentive to investigate crimes in their jurisdiction because often the same people will commit crimes in multiple places - walmart could never find that. If walmart is actually paying to divert police to guard their stores in lieu of their other duties, that's super sketchy, but I don't think they need to go above and beyond - if the local walmart is the main place where crime is occurring, the local police should be there.

Read the article I posted. Having greeters at the doors was a major deterrent to shoplifters. Those employees (if they even still work for Walmart) have been moved to other parts of the store. The cops will always have to deal with the violent crimes that happen there but now they also have to deal with all the shoplifting. Walmart should put the greeters back in order to reduce shoplifting.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
Yes.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

JonathonSpectre posted:

Anyone here old enough to remember when K-Mart had "blue light specials?" They'd roll out a rack of pants or plates or some other loving thing and turn on a blue light and make an announcement over the loudspeaker that began with the famous, "ATTENTION K-MART SHOPPERS... there is a blue light special in... AISLE SEVEN!" and there would a God-damned stampede towards that flashing light.

I used to tease my younger brother that our parents bought him as a blue light special (I was an rear end in a top hat kid). That K-Mart has been a car dealership for well over a decade and the building sat vacant for several years before that.

V who's to say Calvin's dad wasn't copying me? V

karlor fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 12, 2017

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

I can't wait to spend a night in my personal hell cube!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

dex_sda posted:

Change the rotten buildings with weeds popping through concrete to green brutalism art exhibits. you barely have to change a thing!

Put a ticket booth out front and charge people for an "urban exploration experience".