Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

PT6A posted:

They also rotate through stock and designs at a furious rate so there's always a reason to go in and check things out.

See, that's another issue in retail called fast fashion and there is a whole mess of environmental and workers' rights issues wrapped up in that, both in manufacturing and in the disposal of the unsold items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

PT6A posted:

There are still issues but one of the reasons I like Zara over some others in that space is that they manufacture a significant portion of their stuff either in the EU, or in nearby countries (Turkey and Morocco come to mind) where they can ensure proper employment standards are met (theoretically) instead of making poo poo in Bangladesh or Southeast Asia.

It's not perfect but it's a gently caress sight better than a lot of other manufacturers.

I remember when I was reading up on fast fashion, which was about 3 years ago, with a then 3 year old article, Zara was cited as one of the ones that actually was making major steps towards being less lovely, along with H&M if I recall. The big ones that weren't changing were mostly American companies.

Of course there is still the issue of end of life, but that's really an issue with all clothing discarded or unsold, even before fast fashion trends caught on in retail.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

My constant bane is front end day crew throwing perishable go backs in the go back cart instead of taking them back, so that when I close I have to throw them out as damaged, because they've been baking in the Sun all day.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Actually most theft is by capital from its employees :)
If you aren't stealing from your boss you're stealing from your family.

My direct boss is a barely above minimum-wage hourly pay worker.

Also a Republican, which is funny.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Amused to Death posted:

Speaking of motivation, under our new contract at a UFCW grocery chain, new full timers who aren't departent heads will have their salaries capped at $18.50/hr. So some years down the road their labor force is going to consist entirely of part timers making near minimum wage and full timers who know they're never seeing another raise.

Same, and our rules are basically the same. But it comes wih the caveat that OT (that isn't the normal Sunday premium) is pretty rare.

I pay dues for a position that will never see a raise, no matter how hard I work, and that is set at minimum. I also do not get Sunday/Holiday premium. The UFCW is loving useless.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Crabtree posted:

Because grocery stores like to split off "organic" from regular dairy. Better to carve off a corner of the store as "cleaner" food or healthier selections from regular or whatnot.

Interestingly, the store I work at is integrating all that, because of the surveys taken, only about 10% knew that the big green washed area near the front full of more expensive poo poo is where all the gluten-free stuff was located. So now they're extending the aisles. Basically what it seems like is that a big chunk, half or so, of an aisle will be the organic/GF stuff, but it will be in the same aisle as the other pasta/cake mix/whatever.

It'll be interesting to see if this does poo poo, or if only 10% of surveyed customers was the high mark for even caring about that stuff.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, people with gluten problems or other specialty organic leaning customers like it when there is a big obvious area for them to flock to and browse without having to look if this is the one non GMO or whatever item of the isle. Pain in the rear end for employees to restock as you're never sure if this is regular area or organic section or that weird nut area next to the botlhouse drinks that circles into produce, though. Especially if the store likes shuffling the items every now and again.

Thing is, that's how it was before, now they're doing the opposite and mingling them alongside the other items. Which seems to me a dumb idea. It also seems to have been pushed at the actual store level and just ok'd by corporate which is even funnier.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

fishmech posted:

Hot tip: a huge amount of older Americans are functionally illiterate due to the public education system being a whole lot worse than it is now, back when they were going through it, even people who are just like 55 today. They're like seriously often unable to read the kind of instructions on a self-checkout even though those are written so a 10 year old could follow them.

Not doubting this at all, but I am really interested in the sources and studies on this if you have them, because it explains A LOT about what I see on the job.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This is the exact situation where you find a manager! And if they refuse THEN you walk out. This just sounds like you ran into a lovely employee.

Coincidentally Wal-Mart tried to run stores with really low numbers of cashiers and the theft rate was so high they had to bring them back

A good chunk of the time current policy at grocery outlets is to only run self-checkouts at non-peak times, and you are under orders not to open a register, and in many cases cannot because the tills are still in the safe. If they aren't you are still basically told not to open the register.

The employee likely was operating under such orders and would have gotten in trouble for bending them. Retail is loving stupid and I am so glad I am out.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

fishmech posted:

Yeah they consolidated tons of stores to one chain but kept operating multiple stores in pretty close proximity for years after.

God, that was funny. There was an area here where there was one in the mall, one across the street to the east of the mall, one just across the street from that, and one more a quarter mile from the mall to the west.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Magius1337est posted:

site location, demographic analyzation, product ordering and throughput, operation efficiency, employee management, consumer satisfaction,

you know, all the poo poo that requires a college degree and that the parent company doesn't want to deal with

why, what do you do in your job?

So, basic undergrad data analysis? Because that stuff is fairly simple from a data analysis perspective.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Even if I had the capital to start a business I wouldn't because of my crippling ideological dogmatism.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

baquerd posted:

And the application and execution thereof? How do you decide which variables matter the most without data? Where do you get that data? How much are you paying for the data? How do you decide what actions to take, even if there are no conflicting data points? How much extra money does the correct application of the data bring?

That's why you need experience, innovation, and a diverse skillset to do it well.

"Experience, innovation and a diverse skillset" are all corporate buzzwords and an introductory statistics course will teach you quite easily how to chose variables (application of proper tests of statistical significance run for each data type) and gathering data (field work, others' field work (for example having front-end employees track what is sold to customers by different sociological variables e.g, age, ethnicity, gender) or buying that data if you are bougie). Tests of statistical significance solve issues of what action to take as they can inform likelihood of success, especially when applied with research from comparable areas. That also solves the final question, as it simply involves waiting to see if the correct application has been chosen, which by relying on previous published research results and your own data analysis you can increase the likelihood of that occurring.

I know that the business world likes to ignore academic social science data and analysis, but we really are pretty good at it for the applications they want. It's why the sellouts who leave trying to understand the world for making profit make bank.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Hand Row posted:

They don't make bank because of any quality of work, they make bank because they give justification to whatever agenda an executive has. Basically nerdy marketers. Millions of impressions!!

That is my take from working at corporate retailers anyway.

That's why they drive me insane, as I aspire to follow my mentors into low-paying but at least ethnically sane work.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

The closest one to me is a giant Aztec temple that I am going to turn into my lair when climate change collapses society.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

fishmech posted:

I think it is in a "city" as was originally posted, yes.

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the nation and has numerous farmland areas within city limits. Even more if you count the entire metropolitan area. An outlier yes, but it's not unknown.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Phoenix is only the fifth largest if you're going by sq milage, in which case Jacksonville, FL is the biggest city in America and that's absurd.

Nope, by population as well, as hosed up as that seems. 1.6 million. Granted the next largest up (Houston) is 600,000 people larger, but yeah, Phoenix actually has an extremely high population, especially since the carrying capacity is 200,000 at most.

Edit: Seems to have dropped to 6th, trading spots with Philly, as it tends to do. Honestly can't blame people for leaving, it's a terrible city with no prospects for anyone, and I'd leave if I had the means (thanks entire social support network and family deciding to live here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Here is the Riddle of Obesity Globally: People are eating more of everything, it's easier than ever to get calorie dense foods, and they aren't moving as much. There is no one magic thing that is causing it alone, and Fishmech is not just technically right, but right.