Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you're actually confident with a self check out and its security settings aren't ridiculous, it's likely to be much faster than a manual checkout, not to mention you can do the bagging yourself.

Confidence will make you better at doing something than someone who does it for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
You get your bread crushed ones.

Only once.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
I love seeing people who are so upset at the "shoplifting epidemic" because if you squint hard enough it might hurt workers, but they're not talking about wage theft, which hurts workers massively more

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

MegaZeroX posted:

Wage theft can be bad while at the same time shoplifting is bad.

Sure, but not equally bad, and Shoplifting from a major chain is almost not bad at all.

But if your stated reasoning for being upset at shoplifting is that "it hurts workers" yet you mysteriously are quiet about labor practices and wage theft, it's obvious that you're getting worked up by tiktoks and tabloid news.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Professor Beetus posted:

Because companies took the mere whiff of supply chain woes to crank up prices and not look back? And then bragged about the massive record profits they made during COVID? Who the gently caress cares about shoplifting? No one with any brain cells.

that too

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
So I was just at Best Buy to replace a TV, and holy poo poo they have cut staffing to the bone. There was maybe 3 blue shirts in the entire place, at a very busy Los Angeles location. I had to wait at least 20 minutes to buy a product I knew 100% I wanted and just needed them to go grab for me. There was at least 2 other customers near me and we all just kinda stared at each other.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

OneEightHundred posted:

They pretty much expect you to order everything online and pick it up at the counter now, and not much point in maintaining a "high-service" environment when a huge TV is down to a couple hundred bucks.

It was never high service, and I don't think TV prices have anything to do with it. Even low-margin departments like PC/Computer used to have like 3 employees working.

The reason is partly what you said about online pickup, and partly retail execs not wanting to pay people.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Normies should just use a debrid service and you get all the content with none of the risk.

Normies are just going to pay for a streaming service. Unless you can make it that easy it's still nerd poo poo, nerd

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

JustJeff88 posted:

I am particularly error-prone when near the self-scan. Some might conjecture that the 40% increase in the prices of staple foods in my diet over the last few years has something to do with that, but I'm fairly certain I'm just made clumsy by the giddiness of living in such 'free' countries.

And the employees are so overcome with joy for their treatment and fair wages that they are too busy orgasming and handing out bags to help me be less clumsy

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

mobby_6kl posted:

Tesco here seems to have started doing that. It used to be it'd give you an occasional smallish discount on something but now tons of items seem to be like double the price unless you have their card.

Others seem to just have regular massive sales on basic items like chicken and what not.

it's like going out of business sales where the retailer cranks everything to the highest price possible and then runs a sale where it's higher priced than the average retail at other stores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
Some More News did a good half an hour on shoplifting and wage theft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLtzmRknRSU