Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

Southern Ohio does have some pretty rural areas though. They have special scholarships and stuff.

Maybe? I moved from Ohio out west and it's much much different over here.

Basically,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Panera is trash for white people who like to pay 8x food costs because there's lovely art on the walls

See also: starbucks

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

BrandorKP posted:

NFS tell us more about trash rich people...

lol the rich don't go to panera

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah, they go to the Costco foodcourt. It's like some of you don't even read this thread :rolleyes:

To be fair the Costco food court is much better than Panera

it's still poo poo food but at least it's cheap

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Welcome to anywhere in America outside of the 10 major cities.

Sorry to bring this up as I've just been catching up on the thread but I don't think this is actually true, at least from my experience. Large cities, sure. But outside of those top 10 there are plenty of cities that manage to provide decent public transit. Places like DC, Portland and Denver come to mind.

Anyways, I don't think public transit is as bad in America as most make it out to be (if you don't live in NY/Chicago good luck!). Many cities have invested in this area over the past few decades especially and yes, it could be better, but there are plenty of places you can live purely on public transit that don't have ten million people living in close quarters.

A bigger issue with public transit, and with most government services for the matter, is that they are expected to make a profit. I have no idea why this is the end goal of public transit but we seem hell bent on doing so. Many cities you see rental communities for the upper-middle class that come with a bus pass they'll never use while the poor are relegated to spending thousands on bus fare over the years.

It would seem to me things like public transit are a good we should be happy to pay for. We should be incentivizing bus trips, not forcing people to pay for them. It shouldn't be cheaper to hop in your car and drive somewhere than take the bus, but that's the reality facing most people across the country.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 7, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Those are in the top 10 cities, you loving dingus.

They absolutely are not, by what measure are they "the 10 major cities"?

Or is this a time where top 10 means top 25?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

By access to transit.

Alright you originally said "top 10 major cities", but if we're talking just access to transit, what's the list you're using?

My only point is that more than 10 cities have the ability to take public transit to the airport. It's not that bad in America and has gotten better recently many places.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 7, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Amused to Death posted:

I mean I live in a city of 135,000 and the immediate neighboring towns have about another 200,000 people in a dense area and the bus system is probably better than most competitive areas but also still kind of sucks?

Yeah, it's far from ideal. "Getting to the airport" is like the (one of the?) bare minimum of a public transit system. It does seem like most major metro areas offer something like that, even if it's a Park-and-Ride or whatever. Living without a car requires a hell of a lot more out of a transit system (and I can imagine there's less than 10 major metro areas where it's realistic) but most cities have at least laid the groundwork, they just need to raise taxes, remove the concept of fares and expand their networks.

Does anyone know/have any data for trends in public transit over the past few decades? I'm curious as to whether things are getting better, staying the same, or worsening. From my limited observation it does seem like public transit is making somewhat of a "comeback" with millennials but that could just be the bubble I live in.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Liquid Communism posted:

Why yes, I too believe that public transport is a realistic option if cities totally revamp how they run and fund it and make massive infrastructure investments. You goddamn simpleton.

Try reading my post before you respond

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Imagine unironically posting "but not all millenials are poor! you can't say millenials are poor!" and then spending two pages defending it before having the gall to accuse other people of strawmanning

primo stuff

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
lol at implying that Americans would be incapable of accurately pricing products like the machines that print out the prices can't solve some kind of gigantic problem like tax rates differing in locales

tbh poe's law is kinda kicking in for me though so plz dont be mad if that post is sarcastic

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

fishmech posted:

And then your prices don't match advertised prices. Which is often a crime, and is misleading at best. What's so hard to understand about this?

"but it's a crime!" i shriek as I slowly shrink and turn into a corncob

you act like ads aren't already locally targeted

its not like kroger cant figure out how to write the correct price in their weekly pamphlet

and everything online wrt sales tax is a shitshow already and most merchants just flagrantly ignore local/state taxes

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Magius1337est posted:

man i guess its so easy you guys must be on track to start your own successful business

nah i can't order products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Halloween Jack posted:

That is also terrible.

there is nothing more human than getting shitfaced sitting around a fire for the hell of it