Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
They don't make bank because of any quality of work, they make bank because they give justification to whatever agenda an executive has. Basically nerdy marketers. Millions of impressions!!

That is my take from working at corporate retailers anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Sears will easily die first.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Amazon will buy Kohls and put their furniture in those stores.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Sundae posted:

And then all Amazon's efficiency experts die from aneurysms as they read the metrics on how long their cashiers take per customer. :suicide:

(But seriously, every Kohls I've ever been in is staffed by the SLOWEST GODDAMNED CASHIERS IN THE WORLD.)

Definitely true. I haven't checked out a Kohls that has the Amazon store within it yet, but I heard the people are Amazon employees and have their own checkout.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
They haven't but the thought is long term they may. At first it seems foolish for Kohls to ally with Amazon, but maybe it's smart since is any dept store going to survive?

The short term thought is the foot traffic for Amazon returns and tech will then shop in the rest of the store.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I used to work at Kohls corporate and knowing what their Black Friday numbers were, I can't imagine the disaster this may be for Macys.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Only thing worse than your company going public is private equity buying it. If that happens, flee no matter what poo poo they shovel you.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Noctone posted:

Eh I guess true as a general rule, but my company got bought by a PE group about a year ago and what few changes they’ve made have mostly been positive.

You wouldn't notice it in that way except possibly restructuring. The issue is they aren't in it for the long haul and will want to recoup their investment, profit and sell it to another PE in a short timeframe. So they are quietly taking away money that could be used to the benefit of the business/company, and they always get first dibs.

So even if you are growing 20%, if they had you down at 25%, they will get their 25%. Hopefully it's general expenses and not layoffs. And if you hit the 25% the first year, they will just set even more aggressive goals. It's been really weird to be part of very successful companies and have quarterly layoffs or go into replace expensive employees with college grad cycles.

Even if you are dealing with a decent one, they will then sell you to another PE and eventually you are going to get one that sucks poo poo.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

BlueBlazer posted:

In the last year, as a small manufacture selling to Amazon, I have noticed the shift to automate the practice of dictating terms to suppliers. It's straight up out of Walmarts playbook except they figured out how to get robots to shake you down instead of a greasy account manager.

That's been a blessing for my company because the people were constantly threatening to shut us down if we didn't go wholesale. But no way could we give them control of pricing as that would have torpedoed a lot of channels.

Robots don't indirectly gently caress around with us at least. For instance they would tell us image violations and poo poo like that to try to sleezeball their way.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

fivehead posted:

Is amazon basics ruining retail? I haven't been let down by the cheap cables they dump sell cheaply. I just saw that theyre expanding into clothes and small appliances and I have to wonder - is this any different than store brand generics? Or is amazon basics part of a more sinister plot that I am furthering by enjoying the $20 blender or something

For clothing most all source production to a very few companies to begin with, so it makes sense for Amazon to just work directly with them.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I don't know if it's because it's a newer DC by me, but I don't hear these complaints from people I know. Other than sheer boredom as you stand there with the robots lining up in your queue with the shelves. Most are also taking advantage of free schooling at the tech college down the road that Amazon pays for, although my friends say barely anyone takes advantage of the benefit sadly.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
By newer I meant in the last few years. Having to be there for a year makes sense why so few do it, I would go crazy. Dunno where you live but 12k would cover a tech school degree here without much issue. One is getting a welding degree and the other is hydraulic mechanic I think if anyone is curious.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Idiot tax funded by coupon loopholes when I worked there though so that's nice.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Any regional mid market store is generally pretty hosed, especially for grocery.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

OhFunny posted:

It'll be a cold day in hell before Market Basket fails in New England.

Aren't they all about low prices? By mid market I meant middle prices, middle quality.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Haifisch posted:

Kroger is a completely generic grocery store that only stands out because it's been buying up a lot of other grocery chains. Every one I've been in is about the same as a Jewel-Osco/Pick N' Save/Piggly Wiggly/every other generic mid-sized grocery store I've been to. I don't get the fascination with them.

Now Woodman's is what really owns. Huge selection(as in '2-3 times the size of a normal grocery store' huge), cheap, open 24/7. Too bad you'll only find them in Wisconsin and Illinois. :v:

Actual Krogers are different and not run by the Milwaukee office like the WI and IL stores. Woodmans was the best when I was in school since they can't be beat on price for packaged foods and the absurd booze department. But now that I care about not sifting through rotten produce and the quality of meat, it sucks there.

Combine the Festival experience and deli with Woodmans and you have the perfect store though.

I used to run loyalty analytics for a grocery chain. Besides the main purpose of consumer tracking, it's really fun doing product affinities and basing offers off it. Or determining coupon segments, ie your occasional dairy consumers get best offer, your best get lovely since they buy anyway, and a/b testing your non buyers.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
They filed for bankruptcy last year and have been closing a ton of stores so not exactly big news.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm just surprised they're going out for good before Sears.

Sears had a lot of assets ie real estate, brands the private equities raided, but I think that game is over.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Vegetable posted:

What’s the supposed motive and incentive in this conspiracy theory

Executives/shareholders take the money and then move on to a new company, what else.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you run a big box book store there is probably not a lot of paths forward that aren't "make the most of it right now, it's gone soon" there is pretty much no case for big box book stores in 2018+. It's either online or small and local stuff. No one needs a giant physical store to buy like, harry potter books.

They have "executive experience" and will move to a non retail company.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Is that the bourbon chicken place

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
This might be a recent phenomenon but as someone who has kids, it's insane how many toys some kids get these days. Every loving trip to Target or wherever they get toys/candy. New poo poo constantly since grandparents/who ever also buy something for the kid when they go to those stores even without the kids.

I don't even have to take my kids to stores to gently caress around with the toys, I just take them to neighbors who have basements with more stock than a store in their basements.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah that’s why we have a “no presents” rule for birthday parties. Kid is already getting a shitload from his family and extended relatives so I don’t need my friends buying my kid a *squints at pile of stuff on the floor* Mr Bucket.

Let's not even talk about party favor bags and the poo poo ton of candy some parents dump in them.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am glad where we are now at the point where my kids get confused when they see commercials. Thanks Netflix and YouTube Red.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
It's a merchant fee, that's why some places are cash only.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Quiznos died because of a flawed business model. Instead of corporate negotiating on behalf of franchisees to vendors like everyone else, corporate would buy and profit off selling everything to their franchises. Corporate got greedy, franchises become unprofitable, stores close, corporate loses franchises to sell to.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

BrandorKP posted:

Yeah, but I think they do inner packages of a certain size to prevent this.

Amazon sends one a decent box of free stuff and does two x 15% off anything on your registry. But they're also probably where the milk people got our info.

Births are public records and companies are all over that poo poo. Prepare to be bombarded further as having kids is one of the few times people change shopping habits.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it's more that a data point saying "this is a middle class white guy living in dayton who is 26 and married" is an immensely powerful profile on it's own. All the other hyperfine stuff is fluff that doesn't matter as much to anyone and is mostly for tiny marketers instead of huge ones.

Yep and even archaic retail companies I worked for know all that and more. Theoretically I could look you guys up to see your profile but none of this is particularly interesting at an individual level. It's all aggregated and only needs to be roughly accurate. No one is special. Just gets more bang for your buck in advertising. Your affinity for dogs just lumps you with millions of others that I stick a dog food ad on.

Ad platforms like Google and Conversant are scarier to me, but even still it's just browsing data.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

BrandorKP posted:

There is another time bomb waiting to hit retail. Containership over capacity and thr resultant low freight rates can't last forever. The recent-ish line failures and mergers / new alliances have temporarily kept poo poo from blowing up, but the underlying sources of over capacity have not slowed down.

But that would impact every type of retailer. Unless you are thinking margins would decrease further and make more companies unsustainable?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Nintendo ties it to your account, you can just only have one active device. That's a huge difference. You don't have to rebuy anything if you drop the Switch off the train.

Also they just had freaking Zelda on sale digitally so maybe they are changing their views on title pricing.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 22, 2018

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
That's not Nintendo's currently policy so you are confusing me with current landscape vs what could happen.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
But you can go to Ford.com and they tell you the inventory at dealerships. Then you call all the dealers that have a car you want at the end of the month when they are trying to get their numbers. Bonus points for pitting the dealers against each other. You could just buy online but thats dumb.

If buying used I have had great success using online dudes who buy straight from the auction for you though.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Kohls is actually doing really well and not lovely at all.

I don't shop there but the one by me has Amazon returns and it owns.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 17, 2018

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Kohls and Aldis are also putting their stores together which makes a ton of sense.

I used to think the Amazon thing was an initial attempt for Amazon to buy Kohls but now Kohls stock has like doubled since then.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Well yeah it's Kohls no one ever pays full price. You have to abuse coupon stacking and Kohls cash.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
That is a pretty standard rate here. Your monthly cost makes it look like you aren't doing full time. It would be 800 bucks a month at 5 dollar an hour full time at 8 hours a day. Can write it off for taxes here.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
But they always have to do their own hosting or pay insane amounts. They just do it one better by doing it themselves AND getting others to pay those costs.

Also I have had no issues with FBA but I work at a well known company. Amazon used to mess with us because they wanted to become a wholesale partner and control price and all that, but I think someone over there realized it is just as profitable if not more by just letting us handle a lot of the expenses you do with FBA. We aren't big enough to be on their executive radar either so we are left alone now.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
How would you split 1 and 3? As in how would you envision the company functioning?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am not aware of any massive advertising/retailer that doesn't in house infrastructure. There's this weird break where AWS/Azure/Google whatever is crazy cheap for the vast majority of businesses, but for the big boys it would be massively more expensive.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

im depressed lol posted:

If that's the case, then why isn't any other major retailer like Wal-Mart/Target/Costco #2 in spaces where AWS is dominant?

Because Amazon is the only massive online retailer.