Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Pharohman777 posted:

Wal-mart and costco are 'soulless expressions of consumerisum', sure, but they are cheap, and they are places where a small amount of money buys a lot more food than at a more local socially concious place.
Everything may be cheap, lower quality, and not use socially aware manufacturing, but saving money and buying in bulk is why people shop there for food and everyday clothes perishables.

At Wal-mart, getting the stuff needed for basic hygene, nutrition, and clothing is accomplished easily and cheaply, and so money can be saved for stuff that is more artisinal and less 'consumerist'

Food, Clothing, and Hygene are things that every human needs, and Wal-Marts and similar places make it easy to get those things with less resources spent. Sustainability and other things are not issues for a person looking to stretch a paytheck further via getting low-priced food and soap.

Costco is actually a pretty nice place to work, if you can suffer through the months-long waiting list to get hired at all. They pay fair wages, and their products maybe aren't the best but they aren't the worst, they do limit the products available to stuff people are willing to buy. All this will change instantly though, once the current CEO or whatever is out. It will rapidly become large boxes of stuff you could buy at walmart for more than reciprocal prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Proud Christian Mom posted:

sounds like a case of refusing to admit that problems existed until oopsie daisy we cant even buy merch now

Ostriching yourself into bankruptcy is something that shouldn't happen. Keeping empty stores open, shouldn't happen. If they're not paying merchants to get stock for their stores, where is the money coming from for payroll? None of it makes any goddamn sense, unless there is some kind of secret 'best buy or somebody else who likes to get hit in the nuts repeatedly agreed to buy us out' deal that takes effect jan 1st 2020' deal in the works. Or maybe amazon made a super low-ball offer to take over their locations to be showcase stores for their online products and fry's is bleeding absolutely everything dry before they take the offer.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

How are u posted:

I assume that most people who go to the cinemas that serve booze don't drink so much that they can't drive themselves home.

In my experience its really expensive and the service is super slow, so unless you're ordering multiple drinks at a time you're probably not getting smashed.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

At some point if they keep going with the "lock everything up" strategy, they might as well just replace the isles and displays with vending machines, that way they can get rid of the cashiers even faster.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Cicero posted:

God I wish there was a Winco actually close to where I live. There's a couple around 20 minutes away (if there's no traffic) but eh, it feels a bit far most of the time unless I'm sure I'm buying a lot of groceries.

Yeah the closest by me is about 45 minutes away; I go there every 3 months or so mostly just to stock up on soap, shampoo, trash bags, paper towels, toilet paper etc. Their price points on that stuff is so much better than even walmart its crazy. I also hit up the bulk foods department for spices, dried fruit and candy.