Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

withak posted:

Yeah car dealerships are a blight so they are often concentrated in ghettos.

Not around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Horseshoe theory posted:

So, apparently J.C. Penney cratered in terms of their quarterly loss and projected loss for the fiscal year and their stock has plummeted nearly 23% to an all-time low.

Damnit. Hang in there JCP.

Beachcomber posted:

Is there anywhere to buy clothing that's between Walmart/Outlet Mall and full price at the stores that drain into the Outlet Mall? I've been to the big retail stores and honestly, the quality wasn't really there anyway.

JCP has decent sales every now and then but check out Marshall's/TJ Maxx/Burlington.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

OneEightHundred posted:

TJ Maxx, Burlington, Ross, and Marshall's are nice, but they mostly soak up manufacturer surplus, so their selections are unpredictable. If JCP and Sears both go bust, then Kohl's is like the only thing left at that price/quality tier with a regular selection, and they're doing lovely too.

Kohl's prices aren't that good though unless something's on sale, and it's their store brand stuff.

The cheap polos at JCP are good though and their other sales are pretty decent. I don't even bother with Sears, though.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Lower the retirement age by a bunch, up the gently caress out of social security and Medicare so your parents/grandparents can help with childcare.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My favorite soda history thing is that tab clear was bad and coke knew it was bad and the whole point of it was to ruin crystal pepsi by trying to equate crystal clear with being some bad tasting health drink for girly girls. And also coming only in cans so you couldn't even see if the tab was actually clear or not to like, torpedo anyone talking about crystal pepsi as anything but "these clear sodas are really stupid"

Crystal Pepsi did it all on its own.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Stephen Denny published an interview with former Coca-Cola Chief Marketing Officer Sergio Zyman that stated the formation and subsequent failure of Tab Clear was a deliberate move to destroy Crystal Pepsi, capitalizing on the public's lack of understanding of Pepsi's heavily marketed product. Tab Clear was marketed as a diet drink, which were less popular than traditional colas, and the Tab brand in general was seen as an inferior product to flagships like Coca-Cola or Pepsi. With Tab Clear being placed in such close proximity to Crystal Pepsi, the image of both brands would be damaged in what Zyman called a "kamikaze" strategy. "This is like a cola," Zyman explained, "but it doesn't have any color. It has all this great taste. And we said, 'No, Crystal Pepsi is actually a diet drink.' Even though it wasn't. Because Tab had the attributes of diet, which was its demise. That was its problem. It was perceived to be a medicinal drink. Within three or five months, Tab Clear was dead. And so was Crystal Pepsi."

A marketing exec from a rival company is taking credit for the demise of Crystal Pepsi. That's great. However, it's not why it failed.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Big K of Justice posted:

Check Craigslist and FB Marketplace for the guys who refurbish/sell used Herman Miller Aerons, look for a size C [they make the chairs in A, B and C, size C is an oversized model built for big/wide guys and they have many adjustments]. That should be in the $250-400 range used. They'll last 10-20 years and if anything wears out its easy to get replacement parts for them.

My Aeron chair was free from work and it doesn't have headrest and holy poo poo I wish I had one.

But it is built to last.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm always baffled that clothing retail is dying until I look at overall economic conditions. Buying clothes online is a miserable experience filled with utter bullshit, especially since Amazon opened the gates and stopped vetting knockoffs at all.

I will happily pay a modest premium to be able to try poo poo on before buying, but I get that the working and middle classes are still effectively going into year 12 of the great recession so most of that market.goes to WalMart.

I've shopped almost exclusively at JC Penney. If I want ultra cheap jeans I get Lee's at Wal-Mart.

I don't like clothes shopping on Amazon but I've found some awesome underwear there that I can't find a good equivalent in B&M. I also tend to buy tennis shoes on Amazon.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I hope JCP did well.

They're my favorite!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

I buy a refrigerator magnet everywhere i go v:shobon:v

Where do you put all of those magnets shaped like refrigerators?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ErIog posted:

Kohl's does this as well. It's an old mid-tier sales tactic. They control the sticker price. So they jack up the prices on everything 100%, and then rotate everything through 25-75% off on a cycle to keep you coming back and feeling like you're getting some kind of deal even though you're not

You see enough stuff, comparison shopping or not, and you get an idea as to whether or not the original price made any sense.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Speaking of burger places, Wendy's seemingly shuttered almost all of their lower Westchester (NYC inner ring suburbs) locations for no reason. I would have to basically drive to the north edge of the county to go to one. I could never figure out why. The one by me was always busy.

Wendy's looks busy because they have the slowest service.

Folks probably got tired of waiting 10 minutes for fast food.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

DVD rips are fine.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

fine for a clown, idiot

?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Xbox game pass is pretty cool. But I don't mind waiting around for great game sales.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Crazy Mike posted:

For MMA and boxing sports bars are so loud I can’t hear the commentary,

Why do you need to hear commentary?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PT6A posted:

The acceptable amount of alcohol to drink if you're driving is "none" and if you think otherwise then maybe you're the one with the unhealthy relationship with alcohol. One standard drink is metabolized roughly every three hours so unless you're having one drink before the previews, and then watching the film, you shouldn't be driving.

I have a very healthy relationship with alcohol. We get it on multiple times a night.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JCP is like the only department store I frequent. I hope they can stay alive.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Black Stones posted:

2) lower your prices on used games. It doesn’t even have to be a lot! But if I’m buying a new game for 80$ and the used is 70 or 75$. Why would I take a chance on getting some scuffed up or missing box copy and just get nice new one? Just go half price of new (cause you definitely didn’t give the customer
that much money for it) and call it a day.

Small chains/exchanges can do it because they only have to pay workers, a couple of managers, the owner. GameStop basing their business model on that means they have to pay hundreds of other people above that store- and turn a big profit. There was no way they could have done it any other way. Had they diversified, yep, but to make it essentially their main revenue stream, no way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

I really hate motion controls. They assume you play sitting up perfectly every time and come on, man.

I could see my daughter's arm getting tired from having to hold it out in front of her for a long time. It's absurd.