Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

http://www.wkbw.com/news/national/american-apparel-stores-to-close-after-buyout

No one here will be surprised, but it's now confirmed all 110 American Apparel stores will close by the end of April.

edit: Gildan Activewear will also stutter American Apparel's clothing factory, one of the largest in the United States, production will be transferred to Central America.

I am eagerly awaiting a response from the president-elect on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I refuse to believe that mall security in Hawaii gave a poo poo about a scruffy guy in a tshirt.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baronash posted:

How is it that even with retail as an industry collapsing, a chain like Ross Dress for Less is not only still around, but growing? I've had the misfortune of wandering in to 2 of their stores, and I've never understood how they get by on a business model that seems to be "like a garage sale, except with a storefront."

They are pretty cheap.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

RuanGacho posted:

Listen, guys, I need you to take this seriously so I know how to feel about vacancy taxes.

Please assist me to group think about this idea that is novel to me. If I apply a vacancy tax is it a viable way for me to force the return of experimental retail where everyone with a new sandwich shop and goth clothes boutique so they avoid paying the tax?

It's a blight tax. Empty storefronts are bad for the neighborhood but landlords don't give a poo poo if they can afford to just sit on the empty space until a tenant with deep enough pockets comes along.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I remember reading a thing a while back about how you could order an entire "Irish pub" from a restaurant supply catalog and it would come complete with the right kind of furniture, decor, artwork, and everything else.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
People, the RETAILERS have been LYING to us ALL ALONG.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I went to the farmer's market in my neighborhood this weekend and bought some food from a falafel truck.

I tried to buy a soda (shown on the menu) but was told the market rules disallowed them from selling anything they didn't make themselves.

What the hell kind of self-hamstringing is that?

Probably a farmer's market that had prroblems with people setting up a table to sell regular supermarket produce at a steep markup.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I work in an office full of civil engineers and basically anyone under the age of 30 can wear jeans and a tshirt, no problem. Anyone older than that tries it on a day when they aren't out in the field then they look weird. Jeans and polo or buttondown are basically the uniform now though. Also women definitely dress nicer on average.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress cotton, Nomex is where it's at.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

But then people won't know how much the GOVERNMENT is STEALING from you and won't be angry enough to constantly vote for anti-tax politicians and vote no on critical tax increases.

Seconding this. When SF started requiring the restaurant industry to provide health care for employees, owners responded by adding an explicit surcharge for this on every bill.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably something involving fabric being woven/extruded directly into the desired shape without having to deal with the whole 2d-3d conversion mess.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

anonumos posted:

I bought in May 2016 and I already have $25,000 in equity.

Eat the rich.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's always a shock when you order something from other websites and it takes a week to arrive because it ships from the other side of the continent instead of from a warehouse two towns away.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tabletop-radio/

Might as well go all in.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I missed the part about the mall location being announced and thought it was funny that you apparently can say "it might be the Party City store, or the Sears" and anyone in the state would know what you mean.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Snoo posted:

e: this is really funny to me but I know they're just gonna use it to cut hours and gently caress over everyone

Literally anything can be an excuse for this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I knew a family, firmly working class bordering on poor, that were extremely into christmas. Their definition of christmas shopping was that you were not done until all your credit cards were maxed out, so these guys would spend THOUSANDS a year on christmas then spend the rest of the year paying it off. There was some minor drama after their credit card got some sort of automated increase, which meant by the rules of christmas they needed to spend a thousand more to max out the card. It was hard on them, but they adjusted their lives to afford their new mandatory spending target. To not max out the card would be against the spirit of christmas, and trying to lower their limit back down would also be very scrooge-like.

hosed up if true.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

People also have allergies, which can affect what foods are safe for them to eat. Typically chain restaurants are pretty explicit in allergen warnings and the product tends to be consistent.

If you had a really bad peanut allergy, I couldn't blame you for wanting to avoid Thai or Chinese places, for example.

Lol if you think a chain restaurant employee has any incentive to not use the peanut spatula on your vegetarian sliders.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

they take that poo poo real seriously, it's Lawsuit Town. which is why it's so incredibly annoying for foodservice workers when someone says "I'm allergic to..." when what they really mean is "I don't like..." because having an allergen on a ticket includes extra work to have fresh pans etc. which is infuriating when someone says they're allergic to tomatoes, please leave tomatoes off the burger, then they put ketchup on the loving thing. or how a kajillion people somehow became allergic to gluten in 2007 and suddenly they're all concerned about the carb-soaked pasta being gluten free. if you can't eat gluten, dont come to a loving pasta joint aagh people

On time I was at a korean restaurant and the waiter said to my date "if we give you the wrong kind of soy sauce are you annoyed or are we calling you an ambulance?"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was at one restaurant where they differentiated between "dietary" gluten free items and actual gluten free items.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
re: pirating ebooks

Is it my imagination or have kindle prices for new books jumped in the last year. Originally amazon made a big deal out of new books allways being $9.99, then $10.99 and $11.99 books started appearing gradually. In the last year or so it seems like newly-released books are allways in the $15-$17 range. That is definitely getting into the "better to just pirate it" range. Also ebooks should not cost the same as a new paperback.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 6, 2018

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

cool kids should just listen to sea shanties in general.

Lol if you think you are cool but somehow don't attend a monthly chantey sing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When you walked through did you follow the tiled walkways or did you walk straight across the concrete parts?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CaptainPrivy posted:

That's carpet.

Ok, did you walk on the tiled paths or straight across the carpet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just answer the question.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You work 80+ hours a week, go to the gym, grocery shop, and still have time to read these forums?

You're lying.

Like everyone else he or she reads the forums at work while doing the bare minimum to not get fired.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Ars review asked one of the employees and they said that the rearrange of the shelves was for presentation, not for the tracking to work. The reviewer tried rummaging around and taking stuff from the back and couldnt fool it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Ars review has pictures of some kind of sensor at the back of the shelves.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Magius1337est posted:

ok then how is it sustainable in high rent locations when you're segmenting your consumer base before they've walked in the door?

I don't think the inventor of the store is reading this thread.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's probably like banks where there is no expectation that a branch brings in enough sales to pay their rent, they are just there as huge billboards and the revenue comes from somewhere else.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

whydirt posted:

DIVX was DVDs designed to expire, right?

It was a DVD where you had to pay every time you played it after the first time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Capitalism is the worst.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A few years ago there was video showing that one of the dangerous & obnoxious dirt bike gangs tearing around San Francisco was led by off-duty cops from Marin.

If someone on a dirt bike doesn't want to be caught and doesn't care about the safety of bystanders then there is literally nothing you can do to stop them aside from containment foam or rocket-launched cable nets or whatever.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think you will find that the Sierra Nevada has mountains and they are taller than the Rockies.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

One pieces really suck when you have to take a poo poo.

Get the kind with a back flap.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baronash posted:

I'm curious, what is the market rate for a streaming service that also offers unlimited 2-day shipping on drat near anything?

$99/year I think

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

120 a year in the very near future.

Actually, the strong, caring hand of the free market will pull forth an alternative to fill in the $99 price point when that happens.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wasn't sure if you were kidding so I googled what other places could possibly be mistaken for England and stumbled across this unrelated but cute anecdote:

ngl that sounds loving good

Irish coffee but with rum.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Technically it is pickles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I know a lot of civil engineers who went back to school for an MBA and they all became dicks who can't stop comparing every situation to some business case history that they read about. They all try to go back to being engineers ready to rocket up the management track but they all end up going to work in sales somewhere else.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 17, 2018