Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The Sears at the mall where I used to live has been an empty husk with a giant blue rectangle with SEARS burned into the paint for the past year or so. All the other big retailers are already accounted for in the area, and I'm pretty sure nothing is ever going to move into that space. They just put wall in the inside where the Sears entrances used to be. What the hell else would move in there at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Has anyone seen a mall where the empty husk of Sears has been replaced with anything at all? Lotta burned in SEARS letters on the outer walls of malls where those signs used to be

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed, but it's hard not to default to them the first time I look for something. Free shipping and their return policy are great but what's the point if I keep returning half the things I buy for various reasons? Especially clothes that end up not fitting.

I'm giving kmart a shot this week, since it turns out they sell some brands of clothing that aren't on amazon anymore and I know they fit.

You can usually get the exact same products from aliexpress anyways for like half the price

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

How does this thread feel about stores locking products down? Just got back from Home Depot where I needed a single spool of wire to fix a trailer's wiring. Should have been quick and easy, walk in, grab the wire, do a self-checkout (because this store never has human cashiers, ever), then walk out.

Nope. The wire is behind wire cage doors now. So I have to find a clerk, get them to ring the right employee who is of course half the store away from his department, then wait for this ancient crusty dude with better things to do to slowly hobble down two full aisles to unlock the cage. I could have bought the drat thing three times in just the time it took him to get to me.

I get "why" they do it (ShOpLiFtInG) but this is my local store that I used for emergencies and things I couldn't wait for. I know it pretty well. They do have a shoplifting problem, but they also always have had an employee problem where there are either none around or none for whatever department. This is also obviously the reason that shoplifting has been such a problem. Rather than correcting the actual problem, they've now made their lack of employees my problem. Oh, and the prices on wire are triple the prices online, so it's not like they're "passing on savings" or whatever dumb poo poo.

It's so frustrating and exhausting. I don't have time for this poo poo. Guess I'll be driving 7 miles to the nearest independent hardware store that's not similarly a shithole from here on out.

I usually visit 2-3 stores for any given shopping trip, so I'll remember if something is locked up in a certain place and just buy it at the one that's not going to waste my time.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Also used to work retail and security is usually the first thing that gets cut anytime cuts are to be made (probably true of more than just retail), so I assume Target did that and then were like "whoa how stuff getting stolen more often now, better lock it up!"

The lesson management will take from this will be something like "we have to replace security with AI/robots" I'm sure.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Corporate execs: Oh boo hoo people might steal some baskets from our multi-billion dollar corporation.. better get rid of them entirely!! :rolleyes: