Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

This has been done. It's called "long term capital gains" and its mechanism of operation is receiving favorable tax treatment.

Seriously. People and corporations respond to incentives. That's both econ 101 and psych 101. If you want corporations to care about climate change then give them tax breaks for caring about climate change. They'll be lining up around the block to care about climate change the hardest. I mean there are other incentives and "clean up your poo poo or we punish you severely" is probably part of it as well but if taking care of this rock suddenly becomes profitable you'll see a lot more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wrex Ruckus posted:

part of it is that digital storefronts exist, but I wonder how much of it is due to Gamestop actively driving away their own customer base with the constant upselling of warranties and undercoating or whatever

That's been a really common thing in retail; instead of getting with the times they're just like "hey let's yell at our employees more, give them impossible quotas, and force them to put stupid bullshit the customers don't even want!" Then when customers inevitably get sick of it because you can just buy everything from Amazon cheaper, with significantly less hassle, without going anywhere, and in your underwear at whatever time you loving feel like they create stupid bullshit like customer engagement programs. Yeah, the obvious problem is that the salespeople just aren't saying the right words at customers. If they just smiled more the customers would come back!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, it's the "practical level" part that's important. It's not all that hard to find these jobs, it's just hard to come by the experience that you need to do them. Companies would be fine with telling their own people to just learn FORTRAN or whatever, but reading a book doesn't put you into a position where you can actually deal with a crumbling legacy system that no one can explain to you.

It's also worth noting that just reading a book can learn you a modern language but not an old one. They all had all sorts of weird quirks and lack a lot of features that modern languages have to make things easier. A lot of them are practically assembly they're so esoteric and weird. They're also massively easy to break accidentally as they don't get a lot of the safety features modern languages have. These are often also business critical applications; part of what they're paying for is just knowing how to interact with the systems at all without accidentally breaking anything. FORTRAN in particular dates back to the 50's. poo poo has come a loooooooooong way since then and that ancient greybeard that's been dealing with it for 40 years can tell you all sorts of mad things.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Gonna drag this back up....As a long time IT guy in higher ed, this is very true. You go over 50 ish and it's a wasteland and under 30 ish it's another wasteland. I think there was just a sweet spot where people had to put in work to use these things but not so much that it was overwhelming.

There was a time when you pretty much had to know what you were doing to have a functional computer at all. You didn't have a choice but to learn things like IRQ stuff, how to use a command line, how to manually connect your modem...that sort of thing. There was no USB, plug and play didn't exist, and the internet as we know it didn't exist yet. Chances are if something broke you were on your own. Yeah you could get help from the other computer nerds you knew but you called them on the phone or read a physical book. You could just google "how do I fix this problem?" and follow a WikiHow.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Stretch Marx posted:

The reason Target died up here so fast was because they came in full speed claiming to be a breath of fresh air to the retail market and then everyone realised they were just another Walmart clone. Much like in politics, if your strategy is to copy an opponent don't be surprised that everyone just goes with the person who was doing it longer. Target didn't offer anything that you couldn't already find.

Target is Walmart for people who think they're too good for Walmart.

Personally the only reason I shop at Target now is because it's the closest place that sells soap, light bulbs, and what have you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Dxracer chairs and their ilk are overpriced garbage and you're far better off buying a refurbed Steelcase or Hermann Miller off ebay

I went to Ikea and sat in display chairs until I found one I liked.

It was like $30.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

An RCA to component cable seems like a weird thing to exist

No matter how insane the adapter cable would be in most conditions somebody, somewhere has a valid need for one.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Walmart dropped all their new game prices to 49 dollars when gamestop announced their issues earlier this year. I expect that to go Back up to 60 dollars as soon as gamestop folds.

My guess is they're making a ton of money on bullshit like midnight releases, preorders on anticipated console games like Call of Modern Dutyfarestrike 37, and whatever is left of their reselling. Granted in the last one everybody loving hates them because they'll like oh yes you have a pile of stuff we can sell for $500 pretty much guaranteed but we can only offer you $5 of store credit.

I imagine they'll be able to keep chugging along off of the event side of things but they'll be far from their peak. Even then Walmart is probably going to try to keep eating their lunch and people are increasingly going digital. I for one haven't bought a physical copy of a game in years. Most of my favorite games that have been coming out don't even have physical copies, far as I can tell. Then again I'm almost entirely playing indie games off of Steam or GOG these days. I highly doubt a AAA company would ever even consider producing something like Factorio.

This is I think another reason why the games industry has been making GBS threads itself. The size of the games market keeps going up but increasingly indie games are a lot of the favorites. Look at stuff like Slay the Spire. Two random dudes just started farting around making a game. I don't think, say, EA would produce that kind of game. Next thing we know it goes viral, everybody loving loves it, and it seemed like it was just a weird little thing that came out of nowhere. Which it...uh...kind of was, really. Two dudes just made a thing that it turns out everybody loved. No microtransactions, no crippling it unless you pay for $100 of DLC, just a fun little game made by people that very obviously like games a lot.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

the fine crop of indie games that push innovation in game design are definitely good for gaming as a hobby, but the money is still in AAA and AA retread games that safely make many millions of dollars through microtransactions. like activision blizzard, take-two, EA are still dominating the top of the charts. and like movies, it's the big blockbusters from big studios that make the most revenue even if the small indie films that only turn a modest profit that capture all the critical attention and praise. outer worlds, which was mediocre at best, sold way more than outer wilds, which is mandatory to play because it is so very good

That's partly because the big, fat companies are trying to squeeze every last dime from gamers as they can. Indie games are usually people who really like games just wanting to make games.

The big money isn't in making games the big money is in making microtransaction delivery services.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zachack posted:

The way I'm reading this is that he was still prescient because I constantly run into people listening to loud music either from their phones or a Bluetooth speaker. Like, when I'm hiking.

Remember when it was fashionable to have popular songs on lovely early cell phones as your ring tone?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

We'd be in a better state with waste if companies followed walmart, sadly. (Big stores have better opportunities to make money off organic waste, consolidating eggs, selling cardboard just by virtue of volume. It is not because they really care or anything.)

Thats how bad it is. Everyone is so bad about waste that walmart of all companies has nominally better industry waste practices.

Walmart is bizarre because even though they're the poster child for a lot of utterly abhorrent practices they're actually strangely environmentalist in a lot of their policies. One of the big things they did was push for laundry detergent to have less water in it as that's just totally unnecessary. One of the things that happened over the years was that detergent companies would be like "20% more free!!!!" while not telling you that they just added more water as a marketing ploy. That of course means less efficient water systems overall but also increased emissions from shipping more stuff for the same effective amount of detergent. Walmart went "no, no loving more. What are you going to do, tell us you aren't doing it? We're loving Walmart." They did a lot of work recycling waste heat from the refrigerator and freezer, compost basically everything that can be composted, and aggressively try to reduce shrink. Walmart really, really doesn't like waste.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

By total coincidence I know a lot of people who work or worked retail at Home Depot or Lowe’s and this is definitely true based on what I’ve been told. Also two people that my mom knows are retirees who now work at HD.

Also, I’ve been told that most of the regular store employees hate the retirees who work there. Not personally, but because it turns out that treating a job as a hobby breeds a lot of resentment from people who need that same job to barely scrape by.

That's rampant in the restaurant world too. I seriously worked with a ton of people who would admit they were waitstaff just to get out of the house and socialize. It could be hard to get them to understand that no some of us actually have to care about how much money we make.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Yeah that sort of relationship happen in a lot of places where you have people who do a thing for fun versus people who do it to eat.

Like in local standup comedy scenes, there are always plenty of people who will do stage time for free or drink tickets because they have a paying day job and they just do standup because they like being funny onstage. There are also people who are poor as hell and feed themselves telling jokes and no compensation for their work stings pretty hard.

It even continues out from there because you have graphic designers who are trying to pay bills by making posters for shows and then you have dinguses with photoshop who will say "oh I'll do it for free!" just so they can make fast friends (works the opposite though).

Any creative endeavor if full of that, unfortunately. Even people trying to do it for a living are likely to do free poo poo just to get their name out there and in front of people. There are venues that actually bank on that by being totally willing to let unproven acts play but only if they're willing to do it free/dirt rear end cheap. For every person that says "no I do this for a living, pay me" you have a dozen others that would be willing to not just play for free but pay to play somewhere just so they can get the eyes on them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Facetious posted:

Poppycock! Valentine's Day items are being displayed as we speak!

I feel a deep, visceral anger over the fact that so much of retail is just swapping out one holiday's bland, commercialized bullshit for another holiday's bland, commercialized bullshit. Even then there's so much overlap, especially when it comes to Christmas. Like gently caress you Christmas, you gobbled up Thanksgiving a matter of decades ago leave Halloween alone and stop showing up in loving August.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shinji2015 posted:

:stare:

I gotta say, that might be a record for Easter candy.

Yeah holidays (all of them) just keep starting earlier. It's aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Clothing stores have always been notorious for that sort of thing. The snag is that when a clothing store tries to just, you know, not do that and price their clothing in a sane manner while not having misleading :siren: UP TO 19,124% OFF!!!! :siren: sales nobody goes there. I forget which chain it was but it drat near destroyed them. I really don't want to see the internet-wide meltdown that would happen if, say, a Steam summer sale didn't happen some year. It's a tradition at this point.