Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Gosh, there must be more than one, I was talking about the one at Astor Place, which is also three floors.

The real estate locked up in that place must be incomparable in value. Three enormous floors in one of the most expensive areas of the country, and it's devoted to a store that generally has about 20 people in it. It even has a private entrance to the subway.

Thats the problem with real estate, it's such a good investment now it doesn't matter how efficiently it's used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Real estate developers will be full of joy when it gets sold off cheap in the inevitable bankruptcy.

They probably have a 99 year lease and Eddie knows that the only value is in the real estate his stores are sitting on and has been plundering it with convoluted financial schemes. It's probably technically on someone else's balance sheet already.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

OhFunny posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1

A nice informative read on Sears' troubles and the causes.

It's CEO Eddie Lampert is gonna walk away with more money than less despite driving the company into the ground.

Wow a membership rewards card. An idea so innovative it was implemented by everyone in 1999.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

anonumos posted:

The same Marketplace report also asserted that Toys R Us spent wildly on things that didn't improve the business; one example was their new headquarters which cost them 10's (100's?) of millions of dollars to build. It also mentioned the break-away from a partnership with Amazon crippling their online initiative.

They were in a partnership with Amazon and then Amazon screwed them by letting other affiliates undercut them on toy prices. They were expanding online and they made the mistake of trusting a company like Amazon.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

K-Mart in Manhattan has a garden department. Most people in Manhattan have a balcony at best, and if they are rich enough to have a real yard, it is teeny-tiny and a landscaping firm deals with it.

Next to the garden department is row upon row of cheap junk food, still in health-obsessed Manhattan.

If you ever feel overwhelmed by city life, go to the K-Mart in Astor Place for 50,000 sq feet of beautiful solitude in one of the most expensive areas of real estate in the world.

drat that is a good life hack

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/BrankoMilan/status/956373515455909893

Monopolies don't often use their power to raise prices but they do lower the amount paid to labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

They are just aggregating their very favorable risk pools into one big one so they can get better discounts from medical providers. They are probably using some fancy technology to create further efficiencies to lower their costs more. I doubt you will be able to buy in unless you work for one of those companies. The problem isn't getting healthcare to Berkshire Hathaway executives, it is paying for the bottom quartile of subsistence workers and indigent people.