Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I know I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to consumer research but the big reason I never go to big box stores is if I walk in looking for something it's usually like one choice per price bracket. I can't go "$x is my budget let me find out who makes the best thing for $x" like I can online and then just order it.

Instead of having a dozen options to compare it's pretty much whichever product they decided to stock at that quality/price bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Guys you realize pretty much every furniture store ever works on this model right? It's not some sort of unique business model.

The thing Ikea did that was different is instead of the warehouse and/or assembly part being completely abstracted from the process because it's handled behind the scenes you go into the warehouse and pick up your own poo poo and assemble it at home instead of it getting delivered a few days later.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 10, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Plinkey posted:

I did this for the first time last week and will never set foot in a grocery store again unless I need like 1-2 very specific things or didn't plan ahead, it's so much better of a shopping experience. Put your order in online and pick it up in 3 hours or less, sign the credit card slip at the pickup window and you're off.

This works for prepared goods but I can't imagine letting a random clerk pick my meat and fresh vegetables for me.