Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

PT6A posted:

Is Zara and its associated brands a big thing in the US? They're absolutely loving gigantic in Europe and elsewhere, and the whole business model kicks the poo poo out of all the "mall stores" I used to go to. The quality/price ratio seems decent, too. I bought a pair of 25€ jeans there a few years ago when I was travelling and one of the pairs of jeans I brought on my trip got all hosed up, and they've lasted longer than jeans I bought for twice the price.

They also rotate through stock and designs at a furious rate so there's always a reason to go in and check things out.

Seattle is getting one pretty soon. I'd never heard of it until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

OwlFancier posted:

Shopping parks are often terribly positioned. Converting them to housing would be lovely housing with no transport access.

Westwood Village
2600 SW Barton St, Seattle, WA 98126
(206) 322-1610
https://goo.gl/maps/i8xStFVjt4u

University Village
2623 NE University Village St #7, Seattle, WA 98105
(206) 523-0622
https://goo.gl/maps/GnANeY5paLJ2

It's loving ridiculous that neither of these campuses have a single piece of residential housing in them.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 24, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The Sears in south Seattle closed two years ago and just re-opened as an Amazon Fresh pickup center.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Like a public-facing grocery store or just a warehouse for the delivery service?

Public facing. There is a special parking structure you pull into in front then someone comes out with your groceries and you drive away.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Cicero posted:

I'm kind of surprised they have a person do this instead of a conveyor belt or something. Seems like that'd be a way easier thing to automate than drone deliveries.

They have a person stand outside at the parking stalls and another person standing outside at the store (I presume to receive customers who don't have a car).

They always look miserable and cold.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Here's the parking structure for that amazon fresh pickup store

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Turn the big box stores into weed grow ops

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Panera's new marketing push is something like "more than just bread" but maybe if that's the case they should change their name?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I don't think my parents would have even let me hang out at a mall but I also don't think I ever wanted to be at one longer than it took to buy a videogame.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

They're empty people who have a hole to fill. It's not complicated.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What about Filson? Is that too niche for this discussion?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Every time I go into Marshall's (it's like a Ross) I find a few things that are decently priced but then I see there are 15 people in the cashier line and I just leave.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Nordstrom Rack is fascinating because they slyly transitioned from being an overstock/seconds outlet to having actual clothing lines specifically made for them while still convincing people that they were buying luxury goods at a discount rate.

Outlet malls did the same thing I think but since the rack is less of a destination shopping experience, it's almost more impressive.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

How dare people enjoy looking at legs!!!! For shameeeee. Be a good Christian and hide your lust by loving underage rentboys at the local motel 8!!!

Dude gently caress off you are skeeving the gently caress out of this thread.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I live a block away from a Thriftway in Seattle and even though their prices are higher than QFC or Safeway, they know that people want to get the gently caress out of there ASAP so they staff up to be able to literally open every register if there are more than 3 people in a line.

I recently realized how much I appreciate not being held hostage by lovely self checkout software (Target has it and it's awful, ditto Home Depot).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Didn't Radio Shack die, try to revive itself with Carlos Mencia in their commercials, and is now about to die again?

They def partnered with Nelly for some lame headphone line.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What do you mean "logarithmic fining"?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Xae posted:

This is another area where retailers shot themselves in the foot.

When I worked at BB Corporate the website was dog poo poo. It was dog poo poo because it had no funding.

It had no funding because because the entire management team was made up of former store managers.

Store managers hated the website because they viewed it as stealing their sales.

And managers were paid based on their in store sales.

I'll bet there is a similar situation in at least half of retailers.

I think this happened at Dunder Mifflin.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I get your point but why aren't you recycling cardboard? Also my recycle can is massive.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I walk a block to the grocery store and just shove it all in the bottom of my kid's stroller. The trade off is that the grocery store a block from my house is bougie and expensive as gently caress.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Can't be Southcenter because it's madhouse lately.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Meanwhile...

http://www.ocweekly.com/news/fbi-used-best-buys-geek-squad-to-increase-secret-public-surveillance-7950030

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Did you have to eat all the pizza too?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Headcount is the sum of all employees. A singular head would be the correct term.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Heads. You'd say heads in that instance.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Automats still exist in asia. Both in the form of literal fancy vending machines but also in the form of restaurants that you walk up to, buy a ticket from a machine then give the ticket at a counter and you give you your meal. They are less based around pretending humans don't exist because they don't hide everyone behind a wall like US automats do but the whole concept is fundamentally the same where your interaction is with a machine and the person is only there to hand you something.

This is called a WaWa in the US.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

Capitalism is dying here in the west. Big box stores and the malls they support are a major bubble waiting to burst. It's going to be bad - worse than 2008 bad.

Did you reg just to post this? Lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Where'd you get your cereal decanter? I can only find plastic ones.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

WampaLord posted:

God drat this hits hard.

Don't forget "Landlords raising rent absurd amounts when leases expire" to add to the list of "why you have to move a lot"

That's what he meant by "renters have no rights"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

poo poo I just counted it up and I've already moved 13 times in my life. It fuckin' sucks.

Can't wait to see the weird racist take you come up with for this topic.

Same. Six or seven times as a kid and then another six as an adult.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My dad can't move because of two reasons:

1) his house lost a ton of value in the crash

2) he cant move to the west coast because he can't find a house that is both big enough and cheap enough for all his poo poo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Wait why do you have roommates in the sticks but you live alone in NYC?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

blowfish posted:

I mean technically I will have moved 7-9 times by 30, even if all but 3 of those would just be into different college accomodation.

lol that doesn't count. Be an adult.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

call to action posted:

I'm so glad parking requirements exist, so many people move to my city into new "parking exempt" structures and then just leave their lovely Jeep on the street all week waiting for the weekend. And you'd better believe these people call themselves "car free"

What? Nobody who owns a car calls themselves car-free. That's absurd.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

In Seattle, car registration renewals are like 4x bigger than usual suddenly because of a mass transit levy that recently passed. People are hooting and hollering about a war on cars but I say gently caress em let's build more rapid rail transit.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I heard an ad on the radio for Amazon warehouse jobs in Sumner, WA so I headed over to the website to check it out.

Some highlights:

quote:

Amazon lets customers order whatever they need, whenever they need. Flexibility is key, associates should be open to extra hours, time off, and a rapid pace.

quote:

Temperature in our warehouses may vary between 60 and 90 degrees, and will occasionally exceed 90 degrees.

quote:

Flex, not just your muscles - you are willing and able to work all shifts
Overtime isn't just a sports term - you are willing and able to work overtime as required, bringing smiles to our customers doesn't take time off.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I like that amazon is like "hey it's gonna be loud and hot af in here. Wear comfy shoes and BYO ear pro lol"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If you want proof that dairy placement is huge for retailers, look at how every Costco has their dairy case crammed into the back corner AND you can walk around the entire thing because it's literally a room inside of the building.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Isn't the whole point of Amazon Prime that the shipping is paid for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I think there's a thing going on here where the anti-capitalist lean this forum has leads to people assuming all businesses are evil and bad, which also means they're dumb. But big corporations are not actually that dumb at marketing, for the most part.

Nothing you see in a store was put there by random chance. You have to pay for shelf space, for example, and shelf space at eye level costs more. That's just one of many many factors that goes into item placement.

Yea, I hope so too, they're my fave.

I remember when I was a kid and Malt-o-Meal brand cereals started running ads about where to find their products in the aisle and it was literally a dude squatting to the ground and walking like a duck.

Malt-o-Meal is such lovely cheap cereal that it doesn't even come in a box. It's in a bag.