Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Beachcomber posted:

Why should anyone care if Netflix is ripping off the investment class?

Because not liking netflix is the new "I don't even own a tv"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

JustJeff88 posted:

How do they keep people from "stealing" that content? I don't mean piracy, I mean keeping that content locally even after a subscription has terminated and possibly duplicating it for other people. I would assume some sort of online verification process even if the content isn't actually being streamed in real time, but that still requires a connection sometimes.

It's really easy to steal content from netflix. It's even easier to just watch every movie on any of the million pirate streaming websites that come up if you type "watch [movie name] online free" on google.

But most people don't want to hyper optimize their criminal activity to save a few bucks and most people are happy to watch movies a legitimate way as long as they see the prices as fair for what they are getting. If services like netflix raise their prices too much or add a bunch of onerous elements people will flip right over to piracy but as long as people like the service they will go for doing things "the right way". It's the same idea with physical stores, they don't really put that much effort into stopping shoplifting, they know people will do it some, but people in general are law abiding and good enough that the concept of a store isn't going to collapse from everyone that possibly could stealing as much as they are able at all times.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Motronic posted:

lol, once again posting in the authoritative voice while knowing nothing about the subject matter at hand.

There is an entire INDUSTRY around "stopping shoplifting". It's called loss prevention.

The idea isn't that no one would ever steal, the idea is that given a functional society the number of people that will steal is low enough that a store can have minimal light security and have a loss rate that is acceptable. Instead of us living in a society of maximal chaos where every single customer is running armed raids on every single store 24/7 to steal all they can.

Netflix has DRM, but it's easy to bypass. Lots of people do so. All the shows on netflix are available all over the internet for free. But video streaming still can exist because lots of people don't do that and still pay for a streaming service as long as the price seems low and the selection seems good enough.

If you are asking what stops people from stealing netflix the answer is "not much" but few enough go through the trouble to stop netflix having millions of subscribers anyway and will until the balence tips of "this catalog is worth this amount of money to me"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's like, extremely extremely easy to steal from a store, you can do it dozens or hundreds of times between getting caught. The fact is that people mostly aren't. For most people, within reason "I give you money, you give me grapes" is an acceptable trade and they mostly aren't angling to wait till the one second the guard turns around to shove them in their pocket and walk out.

Stores in general have to know that theft exists and have to put some effort into minimizing it to below a certain level, but commerce in general relies on the idea most people most of the time are gonna do it right and you don't need to make everything airtight against every single customer running the maximal attempt to break the law to the exact level they game theory out they could get away with.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

have you ever been inside of a store, or exchanged money for goods? honest question

Are you acting shocked by the claim most people are not attempting to shoplift on most shopping trips? Do you shoplift every single time you think you'd get away with it?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

i'll take that as a no

There are stores in this country that don't even have security cameras. You might live in crime alley and steal whenever you can but lots of people don't do that. Most businesses have a minimal amount of security focused on minimizing theft below a certain level, not army's stationed against the hoard of every single shopper attempting to rob the place blind and burn it to the ground.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Zachack posted:

No, it was more like "we sold 10k copies of our game and there are 30k high scores from different users". You're being really weird about this.

Who are you quoting in this post? What game was a 2:1 ratio like that?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ryonguy posted:

Many, many people: "I could pay money for something, but since I can literally get it for free for very little effort I won't."

Brain geniuses: "Clearly this is a problem of distribution and cost [writes ten page essay about how EA is bad so therefor indie devs should stop complaining about piracy]."

Yes, because it turned out piracy massively dropped as services like steam and Netflix made paying for things easy and affordable

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
A lot of Japan still works on the concept that you only work at one company your whole life. It's how the really alien thing of Konami taking programmers it didn't like and reassigning them to be staff at a health club works. Just changing jobs to a different company is unthinkable enough people just actually do it instead of changing companies.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Correction: companies in Japan don't want to fire you because it looks terrible on them. Hence Konami shuffling people to BS positions and hoping they would just quit.

It's the same thing on both sides. They shuffle you off to a bad job because the idea of just firing someone is too abnormal and you as a worker actually do the reassignment instead of quitting on the spot because quitting is so bad. The idea is that a job at a major company is for life.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

icantfindaname posted:

Average employee tenure in Japan is marginally longer than in France, virtually the same as Germany. And this is in 1990 per the source below, all of them have likely decreased a lot since then. This is one of the set of factoids about Japan that has been circulating on message boards and clickbait articles since the late 80s that are mostly or completely wrong, and driven by the insistence that Asian Brains Work Different. There is a phrase in Japanese "permanent employment" but it doesn't literally mean that, it's a euphemism for what is basically a normal, non-Anglo-neoliberal system of full-time job security

Do you think there is any french or german companies where you could take a videogame developer, reassign them as cleaning staff at a health club and have them actually do it?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

icantfindaname posted:

Harz-4 Minijobs in Germany are basically that, they've been around for 15 years now. You have to do menial, minimum-wage work in order to access unemployment insurance basically

Honestly, germany could have the same sort of corporate culture. Everyone just knows about it in the context of japan because of video game companies and it not working that way in the US.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

icantfindaname posted:

What I'm saying is that getting your complete knowledge of international politics and economics from Games Journalism and Neogaf posts about Japan, and your own personal lived experience as an American, is really dumb and misleading

I mean, it's also how it was in the US for a long time in certain industries, it's not that weird except how much we don't do it now.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I heard in Europe they keep eggs in the cupboard

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kreeblah posted:

Huh. It's almost like people don't have money to spend. I wonder how that could have happened.

I don't feel like I know what role high end department stores even fill at this point in history. They are like, big box chain stores, but fancy, but not actually fancy? Like if you are too good to shop for clothes at target but not good enough to be buying from boutique they are the store for your demographic?

Like I feel like they staked out way too small a socioeconomic slice of who shops at dillards to justify the long term existence of dillards at this point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Of all the things that exist it feels like "enamel pins" is a weird place to draw a line on being a real stickler for "buy american" compared to any other random thing. Why would it be important to manufacture specifically enamel pins in the US?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
There is like zero chance the console launch doesn't get pushed. Like even if the hardware is physically done every game is going to miss it's launch, even work from home it's not like a bunch of developers are going to be using devkits in their bedroom to make a next gen game. Like just not launching this year would be infinitely better than launching and saying "we have one game out, it's broken and unfinished, no other games are coming for 6 months" and even if everything opens tomorrow everything will still be behind.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Note that games are pretty big to download online and a lot of the world, including large parts of America, has crap internet, so there's still a place for physical retail for places where downloading stuff all the time is impractical. And some parents might still buy physical for their kids.

yeah, sony says 2019 was the first year digital was bigger than physical, which both means that digital is winning, but also means that almost half of games are still bought physically and it's still a huge part of the market.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

Luckily, there are smaller developers who have been doing really well making indie titles that are usually completed when released, or give free dlc expansions (in the classic actual content sense.) later down the road. And often times they'll wait until the game is totally complete to release the physical edition.

How many indie games even have physical release? Undertale and shovel knight getting collectors editions and that’s about it. I would beat most people that buy physical special editions of games already played the “real” versions and never even turn on the special collection version.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just today, Hotline Miami got a Switch physical release across two different labels today and it sold out within the hour.

Yeah, like, special edition numbered copies. To hang on your wall. Like it's a 60 dollar disk release on a 10 dollar game. Physical releases of indie games are cool but I'm sure they make up like .1% of the actual first time player base. Almost no one who hasn't already played and loved hotline miami would buy a disk that costs 6 times the price of the game. Like I own a physical copy of cave story wii, because I loved cave story and buying a physical copy was awesome at the time, but I'll never actually play it that way. Nor will 90% of everyone that buys stuff like that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Random Stranger posted:

Thanks to this thread I wondered, "How much data can you hold on a vinyl record?" and I found a bunch of people with absolutely no clue thinking you can directly convert "CD quality" MP3 bit rate to the length of a record. That made my eye twitch pretty badly.

I couldn't find any information about a safe baud rate to use with vinyl. There have been vinyl digital encodings before but nobody seems to want to share technical details on them. So I decided that I can make a better half-assed estimate than those people.

A good guesstimate for data rate on vinyl is 9600 baud. I wouldn't be shocked if it can be made higher since phone lines weren't exactly clear either, but vinyl is pretty noisy so 9600 feels like a safe estimate. In that case, each side of a record can hold roughly the same amount of data as one 3.5" HD floppy disk. That's not a lot of space, but people have made do with a lot less.

What this means is that you can encode Super Mario Bros to vinyl and have plenty of room left over for orchestral tracks to fill in the music as you play. It will only take about four seconds to load the game with this design. Building a NES controlled record player to load the game and then play the appropriate portion of the sound track is left as an exercise to the reader.

You can never really get a clear answer for how much digital storage an analog medium contains. The answer is always "it depends". Like you can always store however much or little data as you want to engineer, however much you can deal with the reasons people don't use analog storage. Like record players that can deal with 5-50hz and ones that can deal with 5-120hz sound both exist as valid record players, and some records do or do not even have pressings fine enough to eve have 120hz change in the grove, but some do, and nothing particular would happen if you wanted to make one with 121hz as the max. And then because it's physical shapes on a physical thing whatever you picked could store different patterns of data more or less well. Like no record needle could read if every point was a totally random height from the previous one, as accurately as if data was encoded to be smoother, but again, how smooth it was forced to be would be totally dependent on the record player you bought, and it'd all just be a mess of tolerances you arbitrarily choose to say how much data a record can contain. Because it could contain more or less data depending what the data was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Freakazoid_ posted:

I abuse my brother's gamefly subscription to buy brand new AAA titles for 45 bucks. Their policy is to treat all games they send as used, even if a game is released day 1 and nobody else has touched it. It's a great way to get brand new titles at a discount if you don't mind waiting a few days for the delivery.

I mean, you pay 15.95 to get a 15 dollar discount. The scam only works if your brother pays it for you or you are buying multiple brand new games a month