Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PT6A posted:

EDIT: And then, even when it's -25 with wind chill outside, they keep the store at a toasty 23 degree, so if you're wearing suitable clothing to actually reach the store without freezing, you have roughly a 70% chance of showing up to the checkout drenched in sweat and/or dying of heatstroke once you've finished wandering all around hell's half acre looking for the things on your shopping list. And you get the knowledge that you're paying extra so they can keep the store so warm, and at the very same time, keep their chilled items cold. Wonderful!

You can take your coat off and put it in the cart. It's ok, I promise no one will laugh at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

That's odd because everywhere I've ever worked if you don't have a receipt you can't return it.

If they don't know how much you paid for it they won't give you any money for it.

UK/US is weird.

Yeah, but you probably also pay your staff enough to care. Turns out when you pay poverty wages, the clerk will approve anything to get you to leave them alone.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Public facing. There is a special parking structure you pull into in front then someone comes out with your groceries and you drive away.

Is Amazon secretly Dahir Insaat?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned Rackspace's purchase of an abandon mall to be their domestic hq and support center. But with them being local, I'm not sure how well known they actually are.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Dameius posted:

Back during its run, Kramer was the sitcom version of a hipster, which Elaine made fun on him for. It is a nebulous term that can mean whatever you want it to mean and depending when and where you are saying it will mean something else.

But that ties with what glowing-fish was saying about marketing to teens and 20somethings at a brand level. JC Penny could try to market to the naughties version of hipsters by stocking flannel and/or plaid poo poo without radically departing from their established identity, but how much would that actually bring in, and how well can some of these chains continously pivot to chase consumer dollars?

It's meaning has changed a lot over the years.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

No, that's clearly Gary Busey after he got stung by all the bees.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Crabtree posted:

I really don't like how these horrible CEO psychos actually prove poo poo like judging people as bad because of their weird as poo poo face is correct in this instance. Because, no really, WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIS FACE?!

Botched face lift and over use of botox.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Leggings are the worst clothing trend in ever.

They're fine for the people who realize they're not pants, they're a base layer.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Space Poodle posted:

Target's website is so needlessly bad that it should be used as a case study in schools in how not to put together retail site for a large retailer.

Which is amusing because they're the reason websites have to be ada compatible.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

call to action posted:

I've literally never heard of someone getting demoted in the US, they're just fired. Do union employees get demoted?

All my experience with people getting demoted is to leave a black mark on their resume.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I voluntarily took a demotion once after having a nervous breakdown at the normal stress level for my position at the time. It worked out great, though, because I ended up really loving my new position and excelling in it so I made more money.

Yeah, I was referring more to involuntary demotions. Those are a bit harder to explain away in an interview. Nothing wrong with a short stint as management/etc and realizing it's not for you. Potential issues if someone has a decade of management and then suddenly doesn't at their previous company.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Generally, it's subordinates, vassals, or henchs.

I've been saying reports, I think I'll switch to henchs now.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The single dumbest thing I saw in the years I worked at Walmart came off of a dairy truck. There was a single layer of eggs with 3,000 pounds of orange juice put on top of it.

Literally all of the eggs were crushed but management made us sort through and see if any cartons weren't crushed. Then we got yelled at because the truck took too long. Turns out going through that many damaged eggs to find any good ones then cleaning up the mess afterwards isn't a quick process.

I'm surprised you actually looked instead of just confirming there were no survivors with something heavy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zov7PEXdVZk

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Hambilderberglar posted:

In the EU this used to be handled by charging the VAT rate of the domicile, now it's just charged based on shipping address. Is there something about this arrangement that would be undesirable in the US?

No, that's how they do it nowadays.
It's just that long ago Sears got it ruled that mail order sales actually happen out of state so the state can't force them to collect sales tax on it. After a century of cuts to other taxes, states have been fighting the past 20 years to make change that to get a new revenue source.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Hambilderberglar posted:

Could you explain how this works legally because I'm not sure if I'm stupid or just not understanding how they get away with that interpretation.

Regulating interstate commerce is the domain of Congress. Sears used to be so big they made sure Congress didn't pass a law allowing states to force sales tax on them.
This was back when Sears was mainly just a mail order catalog and so they had no "presence" in the state so the state has no authority over them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

axeil posted:

The DC City Council is completely powerless to avoid the local lobbying interests. Look at what happened with cabs.

For background, it took until TWO THOUSAND AND THIRTEEN for cabs in DC to be required by law to accept credit cards. And the cab lobby was howling bloody murder the whole time.

But now Uber/Lyft stole all their business so gently caress 'em. I'll never be stranded on U Street at 4 AM unable to hail down a cab to go home without the credit card reader being "broken" and being forced to bribe the guy $40 for what should've been a $15 ride again!

Fun way to solve that broken credit card reader, just walk away. It'll suddenly start working since if they calls the cops, the cop's going not going to side with the cab.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

got any sevens posted:

Uber, but for couches

Couber.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

So I guess I'm worried the whole planet will turn into New York City.

What's the downside?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

Like, a couple years ago wasn't USPS going to stop Saturday delivery? Now Amazon has them out not only at all hours on Saturday, but on Sunday as well.

Amazon paid USPS to start delivering their packages on Sundays, gave the USPS a nice little boost in revenue to help with their congress imposed issues.

Xae posted:

It has been rumored that Amazon is going to create it's own delivery service. They're making a ton of investments and hires that point in that direction.

They already have one for last mile delivery.

Unbelievably White posted:

Maybe they can scoop up all the sorry folks that have been trying and failing to make a living with Uber.

That's exactly how it works. It's all app based, you go to the warehouse, loadup your personal vehicle with boxes to deliver and drive where the app says to go.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Amazon app sends me a notification when it gets delivery confirmation. Very useful.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Xae posted:

I've said for a while that an actual, honest to god FM tuner is my "killer app" for a smart phone.

Sometimes I don't want to burn my battery and data to listen to something.

The dumbest poo poo is that a bunch of smartphones have one, it is just disabled so they can push you to their music service.

That's just NAB propaganda. Modern cell phones don't have secret FM radios disabled in software as part of some conspiracy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

Not at all. Self checkouts are mostly passable for a handful of items but I can’t imagine putting an entire cart through one of those garbage machines, I’d have walked out too. More than likely it’s the fault of the business rather than the employee but not your problem.

Yeah, I'll never understand the places where the self checkout aisles aren't only 10 and under aisles. Trying to run a cart full of items thru them is just annoying and I actually like self checkout.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

In a few years someone will post about a store refusing to turn the lights on and they’ll be berated as bourgie scum for thinking they’re too good to carry their own flashlight.

The Target closest to my office has a big sign at the entrance saying that half of the lights are turned off on purpose and it's to help the environment.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I noticed that Think Geek has a storefront at the local mall I go to. I've never seen so many Funkopops in one place.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Magius1337est posted:

Malls have expensive rent though

They can if they're super popular, but...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Wonder if they were trying to unionize. Walmart has a habit of just shuttering any store that attempts it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm just surprised they're going out for good before Sears.

The owner of Sears is trying to not lose all his money. TRU is being raided by private equity for everything of value. That is, TRU is being deliberately killed, Sears wasn't. And it's not for good, they're profitable enough and have enough name recognition that someone will buy them after they've been emptied to try and rebuild something.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Well, that's when you live 45 minutes away, I guess.

Riding your bike to the mall was good exercise.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

I've got Barnes and Noble on the 'next five years' crash watch list.

Well now that they've started to actively kill it, it'll be lucky to last the year.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

And for Lego in particular, Lego will give the company a full refund so they'll only mark down sets if they don't want to bother sending them back.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Want to shoot that fuckin mountain though

It's either them or us and I know mountains play the long game.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

crazy cloud posted:

It's 2018, lmao if you still poo poo

that's why rear end eating is so popular with the kids these days, right? no one shits anymore?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Peacoffee posted:

look at the photos of their food. It's more varied than when I was last there but they still have things like hash browns with kraft american singles melted on top.

hey, if it's good enough for waffle house

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Crashrat posted:

B is a whole different story, and is the reason I don't think discs will ever be 100% dead. Much like vinyl isn't dead, either. If you're a quality person - and you're not willing to pirate - then discs are your only option. H.265 is not going to deliver the kind of 2160P w/ HDR visuals people want. Maybe H.266 will bridge that and make high-end discs a more and more niche market - but I still doubt it will ever go away.

Agreed, except that vinyl isn't about quality, it's about nostalgia. We'll see in a decade or two if DVDs ever get that. More likely it'll be just whatever's cheap and still works.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I have to make ISOs as well as mp4s for the home movie digitization project I'm in the middle of because most of the older family members (the ones who would most care about this) only have DVD players and maaaaaybe smart TVs. Asking them to install Plex apps might as well be speaking Greek to them, and they probably wouldn't trust me to run the server anyway.

That's where the rokus and the firetvs come in. All the old people that I know that have gotten one have been able to figure them out pretty well. I mean, they always end up doing something like stretching 4:3 to 16:9 or something, but they figure out how to play video just fine.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

but there's actual obligations to be nice to shareholders and customers.

There usually isn't. It's just that both sides are greedy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

It was a great way to drain venture capital while it lasted.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Regular Nintendo posted:

Mattress firm is obsolete when you can get a mattress from any podcast nowadays

But those are all lovely foam based mattresses.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The intersection next to one of my prior apartments had 5 check cashing places spread over the 4 corners.
Edit: It also had 3 liquor stores and one pawn shop, it was a busy intersection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

baquerd posted:

In the most extreme example of this, killing half of the poor people will incredibly raise the standard of living for the remaining half as human labor becomes significantly more scarce. Like a modern day black death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg