Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Remember that the "shoplifting epidemic" was first publicized by Target, who later stated in an earnings call that shrink over the described period had in fact dropped. They also have the most advanced private forensic lab on the planet, as well as extremely advanced profiling systems in their stores, so they were not wrong for lack of data. They lied because they were closing some less-profitable stores and wanted to blame the communities for them.

If anyone has even a single piece of evidence that shoplifting has increased, I haven't seen it. What I have seen are articles that don't cite their sources or cite sources that don't support the article conclusions, but that's annoying so I stopped reading about it. At this point we're in month 6 or 7 of this crying wolf, so I wouldn't be surprised if consumers who felt they were being shortchanged by not stealing have started doing so, and I completely support them in doing so.

Tellingly, there’s no real reason for “product that expired so we threw it away” and “stolen product” to be lumped into one category. Yet they keep doing that. Some things it is hard to separate, like employee theft versus shoplifting, but they keep their own inefficiencies tied up in the metric and I very rarely see hard numbers on how much is which thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do like that Sam’s Club lets you scan and purchase your stuff using the app.

Yeah this is why I don’t switch from them to Costco. It’s so much easier with scan and go.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The Ralphs (Kroger) I go to has stools for everybody doing checkout. It may just be a store by store thing.

Edit: they’ve also had a lot of the same people working there for several years.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ErIog posted:

Your view of this doesn't make sense on paper. Netflix kept ratcheting prices on the service until it was painful to them, and then after that, took the step of kicking off "free riders." You can't both raise prices and make a volume play in the market at the same time. That really doesn't make sense. People who never bothered to buy in when it was cheaper are suddenly going to buy now that it's more expensive and access is cut off? Meanwhile.. torrenting still exists. It's madness.

Cutting off the free riders was investor-facing virtue signaling. Netflix was trying to ladder up the market from basic mass consumer to premium. It was the only play they had left that made sense. They'd stripped every market they could access. No growth possible for actual users. So they went after their whales.

People who could access it via someone else’s account absolutely might decide it is worth paying for themselves once that is no longer an option. Whether the price is higher or not. So yes, you can make a volume play by making people sign up for their own account if they want to continue service while also increasing prices. You’re right that you’ll see some drop in subscribers from the increased price, so if their only goal was to have the most subscribers possible it wouldn’t make sense, but that’s not their goal and the impact from ending sharing seems to have outweighed the impact from the cost increase.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I wish the closest winco to me wasn’t a 30 minute drive each way. I’d like to support what they do but that’s a haul. There’s a rumor one is opening up in my town though, and I hope it’s true.