Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm still not clear on what exactly Pier 1 is or sells so I'm not surprised they're dying. I gather it's like Ikea, but for people who like fake exoticism instead of Swedish modernism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember hearing about one particular incident because the event was held downstream of a chicken farm, so people got sick from chicken poop mixed in the mud.

The whole concept seems so inherently ridiculous I'm left wondering if there's anything you couldn't convince people to do in the name of working out.

Someone should start Goatse Fitness and see if you can convince people shoving large things up their arse burns calories.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pirating is more or less dead because it turns out people's laziness often outstrips their greed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This. I'm capable and I don't even feel like it. I just don't want to be bothered.

I'm curious whether pirating is still a thing with teenagers more than adults. Having less free time, more money and no restrictions on what I can or can't buy has made piracy unattractive to me, but I can still see it being attractive to people for whom that's not the case.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

less than three posted:

Movie theater chat here Cineplex is expanding their VIP concept, which is where you pay more but no children are allowed, and serves booze. Their upcoming product is dinner, drinks, games and children-free cinemas all in one place which sounds like a winner.

What I don't get is why movie studios aren't doing the same thing MMA is. loving charge out the rear end for poo poo, but at home. I'd rather pay $100 for PPV in my home rather than drag my rear end to the cinema, which frankly sucks rear end. The last time I actually enjoyed going to the cinema I was in a foreign country, I could walk there, it was dirt cheap, I had nothing else to do, and I was drunk as gently caress. Here, it's expensive as gently caress and miserable, and if I want to go to one of the cinemas that serves booze, I've got to pay for a cab or spend half my life on transit. This is not a winning combo!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

How are u posted:

I assume that most people who go to the cinemas that serve booze don't drink so much that they can't drive themselves home.

The acceptable amount of alcohol to drink if you're driving is "none" and if you think otherwise then maybe you're the one with the unhealthy relationship with alcohol. One standard drink is metabolized roughly every three hours so unless you're having one drink before the previews, and then watching the film, you shouldn't be driving.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

NaanViolence posted:

No. For average men (most goons) one standard drink is metabolized every hour.

I looked it up and according to the FAA it's between one and two hours on average, I can't recall where I got three hours from.

Still, you shouldn't drink any amount and then drive. Not at bars, not at restaurants and not at cinemas. There's not really a safe level of intoxication when it comes to operating a vehicle, there's only a level that we're willing to accept. For bars and restaurants this is not an issue for me, there are tons within walking distance of where I live, but cinemas are typically located at the ends of the earth, so it's a lot less convenient to walk or get there by transit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Plastik posted:

Prolonged static sitting is not good, and as activities go it's one of the newer human ones so that's not super surprising.

Prolonged static standing probably fits in that category too, though. If you want to go biotruths about it, look at what animals do. There's activity, there's sitting (not on furniture specifically designed for it), there's lying down. There's no "dog chair" nor do dogs or any other animals just stand up straight and do nothing else for long periods of time.

I find standing basically motionless for a long period of time uncomfortable, but if I'm walking, or doing something that engages my muscles, it's no problem. I get tired, obviously, but it's not physically stressful the way long periods of just standing in one place would be. Sitting or standing, I don't think we're meant to be stationary or nearly stationary for long periods of time outside of sleeping.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

I have that as well, and I'm sure that you are in much better shape than I am.

Maybe, maybe not. I have mild cerebral palsy, so I don't know if that affects it significantly or not. But realistically, that's an important point: lots of people are not in perfect physical shape, or have conditions which affect their mobility or ability to stand/sit long-term, and employers' expectations should ideally reflect the fact that what is best for one person may not be best for another person.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Doctor Teeth posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1304230948851142657

i guess they're desperately trying to hold on until the ps5 launches

I'm amazed they've hung on this long between Amazon and my ability to impulse buy and download any game for a modern console or PC that catches my eye instantly while sitting on my couch in my ginch. What purpose do they serve?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I feel bad for all the people who apparently are forced at gunpoint to buy AAA games brand new.

I mean, we have 20 years of good games which are now old and cheap as poo poo, and a bunch of inexpensive new indie games which are fun to play, so it's tragic that, nonetheless, apparently consumers are forced against their will to spend money on expensive new games.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Honestly, though, for all the things people say about running government like a business to improve things, who can actually name a business that's consistently effective and pleasant to deal with? I can't think of one, it's all just shitshows of varying intensities.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The infrastructure of everything, public or private, is mainly held together with bailing twine, because when someone says "we can do this the right way, the fast way, or the cheap way," no one ever picks the right way. They will claim that's what they want, but they will later insist that it's costing far too much and taking far too long, and compromises get made, and everything goes to poo poo. I don't see a huge distinction between public and private in that regard, the dysfunction is simply more visible in the public sector because we get greater access to their internal workings.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

NaanViolence posted:

Small businesses are better if only because they exert less political power and make billionaires more slowly. If you have time to post on SA then you have time to avoid amazon.

Not fully true, they form organizations to lobby for terrible poo poo like keeping the minimum wage low. Like a union of sorts, but for jackasses.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Foxfire_ posted:

The internet is fine without AWS. It doesn't do anything on the routing/telecom side, and on the cloud subpart of server/storage side, AWS is only about 50% market share and falling. More importantly though, nothing that AWS does is magic. People pick them because of low setup costs & economy of scale effects, but renting space for a server in a colo is still extremely common (AFAIK somethingawful does this for example). If AWS tried to jack up prices, business would just move to google/microsoft or to self-owned things.

Like for example, Netflix is AWS's biggest customer. They started off in their own datacenters, moved to entirely AWS because it was cheaper, then recently have started to move some stuff back. From an end-user/public good argument, it really doesn't matter whether TV is streaming from an Amazon-owned datacenter, a Netflix-owned datacenter, or a Equinix-owned datacenter Netflix is renting space in.

Yeah, that's how I see it. There's a reasonable need/demand for some company to do roughly what AWS does, but there's no specific reason it needs to be Amazon, and if it weren't then someone else would pick up the slack. I suppose if it were to disappear overnight that would be an issue in the short-term, but it's rare for things to collapse in that fashion.

Whether they make most of their money from AWS or their retail operations doesn't matter; the retail aspect of the company is far more anti-competitive and problematic than AWS.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

This was my experience. I needed a USB wifi dongle, they're super common, super cheap, something that should either be on the floor like any other product or, sigh in a plastic box the cashier unlocks. No, in the back. So I wrangle one of the 3 associates to find one for me. He returns, no poo poo, with a Playstation accessory.

I just left. This is near downtown Orlando, and the only reason they're not busier is because they've made actually purchasing things from them just witheringly difficult. Went across the street to Office Depot and it was on the shelf and they even had a human cashier.

Yeah, I fully admit I'm a consumerist slut, and all I want out of stores (physical, online, anything) is to make it easier for me to part with my money in exchange for something I want. I figured I was on the same side as the retailers with that, but I guess not.

EDIT: I mean, you ever been to a store where the employees know what they're talking about and will up-sell you on something you actually want? It's beautiful, it's a win-win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, I went into a Target the other day(the ‘nice’ Target as opposed to the ‘slightly ghetto Target’ on the other side of town), and EVERYTHING pharmacy-related was behind glass, like $2.00 band-aids and $2.50 generic ibuprofen. Meanwhile, three aisles over, the $25 makeup products were right there in the open.

I used to have a liquor store next door to where I lived, and they locked up all the Champagne but left expensive red wine -- more expensive than the Champagne -- right by the door, without even a security tag. It's bizarre how corporate paranoia works.