Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Cease to Hope posted:

where the gently caress do you live that malls have customer-facing lockers

Every mall that I can remember has had lockers that people can use. Usually you have to pay for it to get the key, similar to airport lockers if you've seen those. What I usually do is just bring a backpack and then stuff my coat and stuff in there once I get in. A quarter to use a locker is basically highway robbery imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sears' CEO wrote a huge blog post to address the Reuters story about vendors refusing to sell merchandise to Sears or extend any credit to the store.

Some vendors are demanding full cash upfront for all merchandise from Sears - no credit, no payments over time, no loans - out of fear that they will get stiffed in bankruptcy.

Sears stock dropped 20% in the last week to the lowest value in over 60 years.

Act like a pariah, get treated like a pariah; drat the world is so unfair lmbo

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

I used to work a Hobby Lobby for half-shifts on Saturdays and some days during summer while I worked in education, basically just for shits and giggles since it was two minutes from my parents house and I'd go over visit frequently.

As of five years ago, cashiers rung up everything by hand, the company did not use UPC's for anything, and their department heads still had to do item-by-item, line-by-line checks on their stock in every aisle, and during every week, in order to complete store-wide merchandise orders.

It was absolutely surreal to see that in person. I mean...I hate to do the Current Year thing but for gently caress's sake this was happening in 2013.

They still do this. The best is if something doesn't have a price tag since they don't even use the upc at all in the system. I had to stand and wait for 15 mins for a manager to try and find the item I had and its price but none of them had one on it. I finally negotiated a price and the cashier typed the price in under whatever department it was. Apparently this is because the hobby lobby owners believe upcs are the mark of the devil or somesuch.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Of all the things that are unpleasant to carry on a bus, paper towels are the least.

They're not the worst, but definitely not the least unpleasant. The problem with items like paper towels is that you need to buy them in huge packs to make them economical; this creates a very bulky package you have to lug around and a busy bus is the last place you want to be maneuvering a giant thing of paper towels. Amazon is amazing for ordering stuff like that because it usually is the same price or slightly cheaper with free shipping. Cardboard is a cinch to deal with and is picked up every other week from the giant gently caress off recycling bin the city gives.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I started getting donations from a large company and the biggest catch is dealing with all these loving blue pallets. They are massive and heavy and even living in a hipster population no one wants a bright blue pallet for their reclaimed wood project or whatever.

You should be able to find a pallet distributor. Those things get reused a billion times

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

I am an older millennial and I get mad when someone fucks up my order, but I remain calm and politely ask them to get me the food I actually ordered.

I can understand why a boomer would get hella upset, but they don't know about the current economy and a lot of people are forced into service jobs when they have no service skills or can't develop proper service skills, so lashing out at them doesn't help.

I find that politely informing them that it is wrong usually does the trick and is the key to a lot of things. Just don't be an rear end. Depending on the severity of the screw-up they'll probably comp something too without asking.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

Well I mean does anyone see them funding a $500 million MUSEUM OF BIBLE off of the profit margins of running a hobby based retail store and go 'oh yeah that's legit'

They don't sell much hobby stuff tbh most of their profit comes from home decor stuff of which they charge an arm and a leg for. They're actually quite profitable. And the owners are crazy Christians who don't allow barcode scanners to be used because they're the mark of the devil or some such nonsense

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The eight-hour workday was a massive labor victory backed up by research that shows huge drops in productivity and quality of life when workers go over that amount. Overtime pay is a disincentive to the antisocial and counterproductive act of overworking employees. Allowing loopholes like that erodes the fabric of society and that's why states with strong labor laws don't allow it.

Rotating 12's can actually be amazing for having time off while not having to use PTO to do so. Many people don't like it for various reasons, but it is pretty common in factories that require 24 hour production to use some sort of scheduling like that.

As for states with strong labor laws, there are only 3 states that mandate OT pay after 8 hours of working (CA, NV, CO, AK), are those the only states with strong labor laws?

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 8, 2017

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Significant Ant posted:

Why do Americans in particular conflate public transportation, such as using trains, with poor people?

This literally does not make sense in like any other country.

Because outside of super metro areas like NYC the majority of people who use public transit do so because they cannot afford anything else. This is for various reasons, but the big reason I moved away from using public transit (in the Minneapolis/St Paul area) when I could afford to get a car is because public transit often takes 4x longer to do the same trip and you're at the mercy of their scheduling.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Significant Ant posted:

But then you have to deal with parking

It’s also extremely mentally draining to be driving to and from work everyday or running errands every single day in densely populated urban/suburban areas

I don’t think Americans realize how bad the above really is until they have experienced living in a country with actual public transportation

For my current job I used public transit for the first year because I still had my uni transit pass. Getting to work was usually pretty easy since I only needed to use a single bus line with a bus that came every 30 mins. I would have to walk 6 blocks to get from bus stop to work, which was great exercise. Minneapolis is also great because we have a skyway system in downtown, so if it was raining or super cold I could just walk through that.

Going from work to my house is a completely different story. Since my shift ends late night, if I didn't get off exactly at my shift end time, then I would miss the last bus for an hour and a half. So if I had an escalated call or something, I would end up having to wait around at work for over an hour just to get a bus home. If I missed that bus, that was it until the morning. Same 6 block walk to the bus stop; except at night the skyways are closed. Keep in mind that the bus ride itself was about 20-30 mins depending on how full the bus is, for a trip I can make in my car in 5 mins; 10 mins if it is rush hour traffic.

Now compare that to my current situation with my car. I work at the same exact location; except since I have a car my company pays for my parking pass (they also pay for bus passes) for the garage in our building. Sometimes parking can be a bit difficult because it is crowded depending on how high the demand is for public parking (ie people without passes). My drive in is the same 5 to 10 mins, parking takes maybe 3 mins at worst, and I am in my building so I don't have any walk at all. This hurts my exercise routine but also ensure that I never have to worry about if I have a ride home.

This situation isn't at all uncommon and is the very reason everyone I know gets a car as soon as they can. And Minneapolis / St Paul actually has a fairly robust transit system. It's just that if you're not riding peak times you're boned. This is even worse if you don't live as close as I do to work.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Noctone posted:

It's actually after 12 hours in Colorado, just FYI.

Right you are, the third state with the 8 hour is Alaska, oops :D Guess CO was sticking out in my mind cuz of the 12 thing.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Grognan posted:

NV only does OT after 40.

For NV if a worker makes less than 1.5x the minimum wage then they have to be paid OT after 8 hours worked. See more here

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

JailTrump posted:

You have to make under a certain amount to be allowed to use a Roth and it has a yearly investment limit.

Also investing in a traditional IRA or 401k is jus a bad idea. You'll pay whatever tax rate exists when you take out the money. Which could be a lot more than today especially if your in a lower income bracket and republicans end up raising taxes on the poors and cutting everyone else's. It also will affect how much your Social Security is taxed.

It's better to use a Roth or another investment vehicle that is taxed now - future taxes on retirement income are a big "what if."

Ever hear of the time value of money? Saving money pretax and then letting it grow for decades is simply good advice. Tax rates would have to be significantly higher than they are today to nullify the advantage that investing more today (because you paid less in taxes and have more to invest) offers. What's sweet is you can build up a Roth IRA as well and use the combination of the two to help set up distributions that offer a favorable tax advantage.

You're also not taking into account thst employers generally match 401(k) contributions but not Roth IRA ones. And for the former it is by taxed whereas the latter would have to be taxed to be allowed in.

Tldr you just dished out some seriously bad advice for the vast majority of people.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

oliveoil posted:

Why raise the cap on people who work for a living? Raise the capital gains tax instead.

Why not raise the cap and also treat capital gains as regular income that is also medicare\ss taxable?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

karthun posted:

God drat it close that loving K-mart in Minneapolis.

They'll keep it around until the bitter end just as a gently caress you to Minneapolis. The city should force it closed anyway and finally connect Nicollet through

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

CFox posted:

Right. There's a huge amount of people that would balk at forking over $800 for a new phone but won't give a minutes thought to tack on an extra $30 a month ( for two years) on their cell phone bill for the same thing. I've noticed a lot of subscription services try to get into the $10-$20 range per month since at that point the cost just fades into the background with all of the little random purchases you make a month. It's real easy when you're scanning your bank/cc transactions to skim over the two digit ones and only focus on $100+ purchases.

I ended up doing monthly payments for my phone because it is interest free and there are better things to do with my $800 than drop it all at once on a phone. Once finance charges actually get involved then it becomes a less obviously good deal.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

In my neck of the woods the mainstay supermarket that is open 24/7 will have all of the self checkouts closed during the 3rd shift hours and it is usually a single manned checkout. The cashier will do tons of other front end stuff so once in a while you have to wait a bit for them to notice you and come up but this is generally painless.

That process seems a bit more logical since you need a person up there anyway to monitor the lanes self checkout or not. And with so few customers the front end person gets to spend most of their time doing other stuff anyway.

Self checkouts seem to serve two competing purposes at stores. Some employ them to make it easier for some people to check out. Either those that wish to avoid human contact or that have few enough items that the self checkout isn't counterproductive. This is a good use of the concept as it makes it easier for the customer to part ways with their money. Other stores use it as a way to cut down on staffing costs and in many cases will make it more difficult for a customer to purchase goods (such as in the goon's story). This is in general a bad thing for retail stores. The front end worker is just doing their job and executing the mandate from corporate; but a lot of those mandates are counterproductive.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Sundae posted:

Yeah that's the part I don't get. With the exception of the Used Games section, literally everything in every store was identical, from pricing to inventory to new release availability to [etc etc]. Okay, you bought up all the chains and consolidated them.... now close down the other two and stop paying three times the goddamned rent for no added benefit to customers or company!

Meh - I just went there for the used PC games section.

Back in the day when my friend went to gamestop to get the latest stuff we often ended up going to all of the different ones because their inventory was different. These were usually for harder to get (for who knows what reason) games tho.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

How much did the accident and life insurance cost you? You said that it took 10 years, so over the course of that 10 years, how much did you pay for the insurance? And you mention the lawyers involved...how much did this cost in legal fees?

The point isn't that this is impossible, or isn't even a good deal. The point is more that the barriers to entry are pretty high, but a person from a middle class background might not realize that this isn't an option for everybody. You have to have the money to pay lawyers, buy insurance, pay contractors, etc. And you have to know how to do all those things.

So from your description, you got a loan for 50,000, paid 50,000 to contractors. (Along with the price of the lawyers and insuranc). 10 years later, you sold the house for 180,000? So that means you made about 8,000 a year. I mean, that is not a bad deal, but given the amount of capital upfront, the risks of failure or cost overrun, and the amount of time done selecting and overseeing contractors, its not an easy investment.

Like, say you didn't take out a loan, and just put the 50,000 you paid out to contractors into a CD for ten years, which would involve no work and no risk, what would have been your return?

CDs are pretty bad. Long term rates are let's say 3% annually and we assume annual compounding the value after 10 years would be $67,196. A profit of $17,196. This is almost risk free tho so that certainly helps.

The stock market over the long term has annual returns of about 7%, turning the $50k into $98,358, or $48,358 profit.

For the house I'll assume that 50k loan ended up at 70k all said, add in the contractor so the expenses are $120k with a sales price of $180k netting $60k profit. Annualized over the period given of 10 years that gives us an annual rate of about 4.1%. Picking up 1.1%pts of annual return is certainly nice, but probably not worth all of the risk incurred. With even small chances of failure this can easily become a worse proposition than even CDs.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I stopped getting papa johns because the only thing worth a drat is their garlic butter and 1) they would routinely forget it even if I paid to have an extra cup 2) they don't include it standard with the thin crust, only their Italian seasoning. Add in the decline in quality and their terrible views it is a no brainer to seek out a better mom and pop place.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

KingFisher posted:

So paying 1/3rd more than average retail wages, stock, benefits, employee education programs.

Looks like if every retail job was replaced with an Amazon warehouse job, millions of people would be better off financially.

Last time I checked people working in retail weren't in unions either, and it is way easier to unionize an entire Warehouse or all of a single firms warehouses then you know one Old Navy store at a time.

So I'm still not buying it.

You're not exactly comparing like to like here. A warehouse worker isn't a retail worker, even if Amazon as a whole is a retailer. All retailers have warehouse jobs of varying capacities. The question would be how do Amazon warehouse jobs pay (total comp) compared to other warehouse jobs. Even better, compare it specifically to retail warehouse jobs specifically. Once you do that then Amazon offers the average wage or less.

There do exist retail unions as well; the most common is in the grocery business (UFCW). And it is easier to shut down and move a warehouse than retail locations for a couple reasons. Fewer employees total to care about with the transition for one. Also, while location matters a lot for distribution centers, but here they care about access to transit nexuses and such. For a retail store location is everything because of the need to get customers in the door. Proper placement of the store is critical in most markets.

If we really wanted to make employees lives better, it seems that making everyone a warehouse worker for Walmart would be even better (about double the pay!), but of course it is nonsensical because we aren't comparing similar positions. So unfortunately, no, the solution is not just to make everyone a warehouse worker, nor does an Amazon warehouse worker earning more than the average retail worker make any of Amazon's lovely work conditions better.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The thing was I tried to do the "actually work for the entire time you're there no goofing off" thing when I went to work for some startups and I can honestly say that consistent "real" 60 hour workweeks will make you want to die. And I actually worked some no-poo poo 80 workweeks and it utterly wiped me out for 2 - 3 days afterwards, I literally had memory loss. I have nothing but respect for people on assembly lines or other monotasking job who are working 100% of the time and only get their mandated 10-minute breaks and lunches, it's hell.

In my experience assembly lines will have many different stations to work on which workers are able to rotate between so rarely is someone monotasking the entire shift. For the factories I've worked at we had line workers rotate at most every hour. For higher end lines where each station requires more technical expertise "monotasking" is more likely to be the case; but then they'll also have multiple tasks to complete for it. And even then they'll rotate between similar stations; though this might be more once a shift or even longer period. The big thing that is looked at when setting up rotation schedules is how repetitive the work is. You want to make sure that you don't have someone doing the same exact task over and over again as that will lead to injury.

The factories I've worked at also give paid breaks that are longer than 10 minutes. In one of my jobs we received two 30 minute breaks paid. There is also downtown due to cleanings, change overs, and mechanical failure that also helps break things up. Not that any of that means they are any less deserving of your respect of course; but a lot of times the work gets demeaned as overly monotonous when honestly a call center is probably 100x worse for that.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Reynold posted:

It's understandable that people who do quite a bit of physically demanding work, even lets say only half of their daily average workload, when around others whose jobs are much less physically demanding look unfavorably upon the latter from time to time. Especially when those office people or whatever get paid quite a bit more for their efforts. It's an unfortunate reality that many skilled professions aren't valued the same as others because screws and plywood instead of spreadsheets and software, and it's a simple backlash reaction to being treated unfairly.

You'd see a lot less of it if more workplaces had their poo poo together in that regard, and of course it ruffles feathers when they don't.

It really comes down to required marketable skills and the supply and demand for them. While office work is less physically demanding the amount of people with the skills that can do it is relatively small. Excel imo is easy as heck to use but what percentage of the workforce is proficient at it?

And it isn't like all office jobs are that way. Call center work can be done by any warm body and the pay reflects that. A lot of factory jobs and other physical labor jobs are grueling to do but there are plenty of people willing to do it. Especially since factory work tends to pay more than retail or call centers which would be the other main entry level jobs.

This isn't a justification for the current state of affairs but pay is all about how easy it is to fill a spot and keep it filled.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Caganer posted:

For the second time: I did a poor job conveying. The magic of human language is we can clarify. Stop acting autistic.

Is your claim that the west coast is unlikely to get nuked also not what u meant to say? I hope so cuz that is a very obviously false claim. The west coast has huge population centers, naval bases, command and control, nuclear enrichement, etc. All prime targets.

But I'm sure you meant something completely different.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

fishmech posted:

Just because some place with 500 people calls itself a "city" doesn't it make it so - their residents also consider a man made out of wax and lovely ham sandwiches a good governor.

Phoenix is just a pile of poo poo development haphazardly assembled, full of terrible people. It's at least good that a lot of the eventual development area was put within city limits because hypothetically a good city government could use that for good development but as it stands they've barely done so.

You realize that Wisconsin has actual cities right? Or does a mid-size city like Madison not count? I live in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota, and same poo poo here. Tons of cities have actual farm land; especially the outer ring suburbs. This is especially so because those outer-ring suburbs rely on buying out that very farmland to actually expand. And those aren't 500 population stuff either; we're talking 10s of thousands pushing up towards 100k.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

fishmech posted:

If you're an "outer ring suburb" you're not much of a city, bro. You're... an outer ring suburb of a city.

Also when I go look at actual Madison, most of the farmland within the city is part of UW Madison's agricultural research stations. And a lot of farmland that appears to be in Madison is in fact just over the border of the city, often with the border of Madison's annexations being just at the edge of actively cultivated fields.

PS: If you have "tens of thousands" of residents that's not a city. It's not 4th millenium BC anymore, we got iron now. No one is impressed by your lovely temple or your broke rear end priest-king.

Then please enlighten us on your definition of city. Apparently a city of 70k isn't a city because 1) it doesn't have enough people 2) it has other cities nearby. Both are absurd, no?

Also lol at all the dancing about who owns or uses Madison's farmland, you realize that is indeed admitting that it has farmland? So now you need to try and argue that either Madison is also not a city, or that farmland doesn't actually satisfy the definition of farmland.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

fishmech posted:

Any shitheap that calls itself an outer ring suburb definitely isn't a city. Also yeah pretty much nowhere under 100k even begins to count unless it's some poo poo like you're Iceland and 100k people means 1/3 of your whole country. People from the upjumped suburban sprawl of America kinda need to accept that it's not impressive that you have both an Arby's AND a Subway AND a local theater troupe who plays one weekend a month in the high school gym, you know?

It's a tiny bit of farmland that's almost entirely owned by a university. It's thus not a bunch of available leased farmland someone's going to go around.

But yeah Madison's a shitheap like the rest of its whole area. Ruled by the ham sandwich golem the Kochs anointed.

That's a great list of exclusions. What's your definition?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Maybe even a home-hamlet lmbo

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Star Man posted:

In Wyoming, we don't pay sales tax for food that isn't prepared. It's been that way since 2006.

The state does collect sales tax on Amazon if the purchase is over a certain amount, though.

With Amazon I have found it depends not on the amount, but who and where things get shipped. If it is fulfilled directly by Amazon through their warehouses in Minnesota (the state I live) then sales tax applies. If it is fulfilled by Amazon but not through a Minnesota fulfillment center, or a third party (directly, not via Amazon fulfillment), then sales tax doesn't apply.

Amazon also does its billing by fulfiller so even in a single order what items gets taxed or not depends on where it is being fulfilled. This also results in multiple charges to your account, but that usually shouldn't matter.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I've started buying less and less stuff from Amazon lately. I've been comparing prices often and Amazon is not the cheapest anymore, most local retailers or smaller, specialty online shops have what I need cheaper. And I live a mile from an Amazon DC and get my stuff same day or next.

I've probably bought more from BestBuy and Walmart in the last 2 years than I have in the decade before.

I'm mostly the same, unless it is really esoteric stuff I buy stuff in store these days. Even when Amazon is slightly cheaper I tend to go for the brick and mortar since I trust it more. I've gotten some dodgy items from Amazon and I don't trust their reviews since they aggregate it for product (sometimes across a wide range of models too) and their shipping practices are atrocious.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I'm really surprised at how many of you guys are saying that Amazon Prime takes longer than two days. I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon and I can't remember ever having something take longer than two days to reach me. Most of the time I get my order next day. I wonder if there are particular regions that are especially bad for some reason?

Probably depends on how far a fulfillment center is. Once Amazon built one in the Minneapolis area the majority of my packages get to me next day.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

There are waaay too many poo poo alibaba-rebranded products on amazon with pumped up fake 4 star reviews. I would compare it to the google play store in regards to levels of garbage.

I shouldn’t have to plug every item I’m considering into a site like fakespot to see if it’s the real deal or not.

At least you can filter down to just 1 star reviews with Amazon unlike Google Play. The Google Play store reviews are completely unusable because they make it impossible to usefully sort them.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Prime video is pretty lame as far as included with prime for free content goes

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

Only buy Pyrex from thrift stores or yard sales. You have a much better chance of getting the good stuff that way.

Buying used would be the only way to get the good stuff for sure; but you don't need to roll the dice either! Check the trademark stamp on the bottom, if it is "PYREX (r)" then it is the good stuff, if it is "pyrex (r)" it is the bad stuff.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't know if this is an indictment of Best Buy's policies and culture or HP itself, but not long after I came to the US I had this really good job with Hewlett-Packard where I would frequently have to work out of the local Best Buy, back when business was less precarious, where I would sell HP computers, printers, scanners and the like. Shortly after I started frequenting this BB, I would hear the people who worked there telling customers that the included cartridges with printers and such were small starter cartridges and they needed to buy more ink, but low-capacity cartridges as pack-ins with new devices had stopped several years prior. I would correct them and they would acknowledge that I was right, but they kept doing it and I quickly realised that they were deliberately lying to make more sales. I even confirmed this with my boss who verified that I was correct about cartridge sizes. He even passed the message on to the store's management, but the staff at BB kept blatantly lying to people and eventually they lied to my boss to get me fired because I was undermining their attempts to sell high-margin ink through the use of blatant falsehood. This may just be a case of :capitalism:, though.

It is true that HP would include full cartridges with their printers, but they were the exception. Most did indeed come with starter cartridges for other brands. The starter cartridge thing is so common that it is a really easy upsell so of course they were ok with them lying about it.

HP makes all of their money off of ink in the printer segment anyway, so it probably behooved your bosses for them to do that too. Inkjets are an absolute joke though and there's no good reason for anyone to buy one. If you need photos printed, go down to a shop that can process them. If you need black and white stuff printed, get a laser printer.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Best buy makss plenty of profit right now. The store within a store stuff is highly profitable. poo poo like computers has absolutely lovely margins. But they still do a lot of that too and there are plenty of reasons to do so. With laptops people want to try them out and see how they feel in person. Best buys prices are also comparable to online. In addition they've changed their return policy to allow open box returns of laptops.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

gaj70 posted:

Or simpler yet, customers like "dealer row" because they can now comparison shop w/o having to drive all over the city.

Pro-tip: you can do this more quickly Hertz, etc. They typically leave the cars open.... which means you can skip whole 'small talk with a salesman, wait while they while walk back inside to get the key for one (and only one(!) car, wait while they look for said key, wait while they walk back to you, more small talk, and more waiting while they find someone who can actually answer questions about the car they are selling' game

I'm sure it varies a lot but most (maybe all) dealerships I have been to have the doors unlocked, it is only if you wanna test drive that you gotta chat it up with the salesperson.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

As Sears Withers, Its Former Stores Fuel a New Fortune https://nyti.ms/2BRTdos

More Sears news. All the good locations getting flipped, by another Lampert company.

That's been the MO from the start. Good to see it getting some more press again though.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

PT6A posted:

Okay then, what should be done about schools where children cannot run in phys ed class?

I'm not certain it's because of lawsuits, but whatever the motivation, it's really goddamn stupid.

Is this actually a thing that exists? Sounds more like some fwfwfwfwfw chain mail poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

SimonCat posted:

Have we talked about how the Sears CEO blames the retirees for the company's problems?

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/14/news/companies/sears-pension-retirees/index.html

I like how he shuns online retailing but is also selling off every physical location. :thunk: