Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Pretty much everything a store has locked up I've ordered from Amazon instead, so I'm sure Amazon is looking on in glee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What's with so many places putting certain items behind locked cabinets and in walled off "store inside a store" type deals? The cost of constructing these, the person manning the register, and reduced sales because of the inconvenience to shoppers, this move just doesn't make any sense to me. I get that they're claimed to be due to shoplifting but I don't think they're going to work as planned.

Anything that's locked up or inside these "stores inside a store" I'm just going to go home and order off the Amazon. Don't they think Amazon has eaten into their sales enough by this point?

It seems to only be national/regional chains that are doing this. More local establishments seem to be able to avoid doing this, and even typically have real people behind cash registers instead of only having self checkout available.

Like how can Town & Country in Seattle offer much better customer experiences than a national chain like Safeway? There's more employees on the floor, multiple registers with cashiers, and they still provide baskets.

Safeway on the other hand has gotten rid of baskets, locked up tons of stuff either in cabinets or inside the "store inside a store", and rarely ever any cashiers behind a register.