Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Liquid Communism posted:

The thing is, fishmech posts like that all the time on whatever the subject at hand is in D&D. It's not a matter of rhetorical technique, it's a matter of making sweeping claims and inability to admit to being incorrect on the most minor of details.

Case in point:

'Randomly Declaring' the CDC suggested limit on sugar consumption in a 2000 calorie diet.

The 2000 calorie diet is not meant for most people to follow, as it is too few calories for most Americans to eat. We use it in labeling because it's, essentially, a nice round number. Specifically, it was originally formulated around a relatively short middle aged woman's needs when it was introduced back in the early 90s. Now let's add on top of that that that says no more than 200 calories of "added sugars" which is NOT the same as "all sugars".

Do you comprehend why this means stating people shouldn't eat more than 200 calories of sugar per day doesn't match up with nutritional guidelines, or no? Of course not, you just went looking for a 200 to be smug about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Liquid Communism posted:

Fishmech, quit arguing in bad faith for ten seconds and go read the linked guidelines. They give 2000 calories as an example in the condensed notes, to illustrate the actual recommendation of 10% of calories consumed because it makes an easily understandable round number.

That says added sugars. Here I'll help you, go ahead and read this again from your own source:

"Americans should keep their intake of added sugars to less than 10% of their total daily calories as part of a healthy diet. For example, in a 2,000 daily calorie diet no more than 200 calories should come from added sugars."

Do you comprehend that added sugars is not all sugars? Yes or no.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Liquid Communism posted:

Your statement was lamenting that people were told not to eat more than 200g of sugar. Sugar, by itself, is qualified as 'added sugars' by their definition as it is not in the form of naturally occurring sugars in whole foods.

Nope! Added sugar is not all sugars! This is very basic nutrition that you're oblivious to, for some reason.

And I'm honestly not sure how you don't get that? If you drink a shitload of orange juice (which is very high in natural sugar) you will get just as fat as from drinking the same amount of soda - and incidentally you'll piss away all the excess vitamins too. Comprende?

inkblottime posted:

200 calories is about 50g of sugars which is also calculated in carbs. There's a lot of math here and I only understand about half of how it factors into the others. Switching units was not fair of fishmech and it threw me off for a minute too.

If you don't understand how the calories in basic macronutrients can be directly converted to the mass of the macronutrients involved... maybe don't try to debate nutrition?

Also again, they're not saying no more than x for all sugars there, it's only "added sugars" which is a subset of all sugars.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

overmind2000 posted:

Also I know that dead malls have sometimes been repurposed for apartments and other mixed-use stuff but has there been to push to rezone them as public housing? There likely isn't any political will in America to do that but it seems like a good use of what would otherwise be a lot of free space.

They'd certainly make decent temporary shelters in case of emergency or something like that. But so far their design and existing infrastructure suit them more for a local/state government to use them as office spaces instead of building new facilities elsewhere/renting space in normal commercial buildings, or the less radical than housing renovations for other public services like community colleges.

The housing conversions have been most successful in malls that were more centrally located than many are - such as the first full scale project of this in the US, at the mall in central New Haven, CT. (That project also turned over some of the space to general office space too)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JustJeff88 posted:

I do have a (relatively large) CRT, but no NES, and I've run into the problem that I cannot find many potential stands for it. Those things are not only deep, but very, very heavy.

Go to a thrift store, get someone's old home entertainment stand. That's what they were built for after all.