Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot
How it has somehow entered so many people's casual speak bothers me a great deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
Sir please this is a Home Depot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you don't want to be called a noob maybe you should suck less at mp games

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

looks like we've once again defeated racism in gbs. we did it!

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Hell Yeah posted:

looks like we've once again defeated racism in gbs. we did it!

This is more about casual racism than just regular racism.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Doredrin posted:

How it has somehow entered so many people's casual speak bothers me a great deal.

who are you speaking to that uses the n word casually. i dont know anyone like that

GuitarJunkie
Sep 8, 2004

"Boy, have we got a vacation for you."
Ninjitsu skills involved more than just fighting, and I too hate when people flippantly call themselves ninjas.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Hammerite posted:

who are you speaking to that uses the n word casually. i dont know anyone like that

I've spent a lot of time on 4chan recently.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I think you should use whatever word you want as much as you want. No need to be niggardly

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Doredrin posted:

nerd.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

buckets of buckets posted:

I think you should use whatever word you want as much as you want. No need to be niggardly

So clever

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Doredrin posted:

i think, i have identified the problem here

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016

Doredrin posted:

Stop doing that. It's not good for you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Doredrin posted:

so you took a bath in sewage and are now feigning outrage that something smells.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

soupbone sal posted:

Stop doing that. It's not good for you.

They have good memes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I try to use it formally but sometimes I don't have time

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
i'm constantly amazed about how affected people (such as the OP) are by it. it's probably the most powerful word in the english language, in that a mere utterance is enough to drive people absolutely bonkers. it's kind of like in the spy movies where a sleeper agent gets "activated" when the spy agency bosses say the secret word and then he flips out and starts ventilating everybody. same is true here, and there is really no other word that has the same power.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Doredrin posted:

They have good memes.

(Doredrin, bobbing up and down in the toilet) Well these turds over here are good and these ones are bad and I wish they weren't here

A PROUD BLACKWOMAN
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
As a proud black woman i can confidently say that anyone who says the n word instead of friend of the family is a loving bitch

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

World Kraid Center
Oct 18, 2009
no lives matter and therefore it doesn't matter how we describe them

eastern europeans in america all know what it's like to be casually called a commie. it is, just like friend of the family, a word with bloody connotations co-opted from their former masters, and that is actually a history recent enough to be memorable

but we suck it up and laugh it off, because as long as you are just as de jure equal as the next guy, which black people are, their crybaby hurt feelings demand to regulate others ends where the right to free speech begins

want to blanket ALL uses of friend of the family, nigga, my negro, etc as hate speech and ban them? then let american blacks start the ball rolling by no longer using the word with hostility against african immigrant blacks, and even among each other in brotherly tone. as we all know here, ironic racism is still racism. but they're not going to do that and it is political suicide to ask them to do that. why is that, OP?

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

i'm constantly amazed about how affected people (such as the OP) are by it. it's probably the most powerful word in the english language, in that a mere utterance is enough to drive people absolutely bonkers. it's kind of like in the spy movies where a sleeper agent gets "activated" when the spy agency bosses say the secret word and then he flips out and starts ventilating everybody. same is true here, and there is really no other word that has the same power.

I am reacting to the constant casual use of the word.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

World Kraid Center posted:

eastern europeans in america all know what it's like to be casually called a commie. it is, just like friend of the family, a word with bloody connotations co-opted from their former masters, and that is actually a history recent enough to be memorable

but we suck it up and laugh it off, because as long as you are just as de jure equal as the next guy, which black people are, their crybaby hurt feelings demand to regulate others ends where the right to free speech begins

want to blanket ALL uses of friend of the family, nigga, my negro, etc as hate speech and ban them? then let american blacks start the ball rolling by no longer using the word with hostility against african immigrant blacks, and even among each other in brotherly tone. as we all know here, ironic racism is still racism. but they're not going to do that and it is political suicide to ask them to do that. why is that, OP?

I like to chat with my friends on line and have fun

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you don't want to be called a noob maybe you should suck less at mp games

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

we fuckin did it!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

World Kraid Center posted:

eastern europeans in america all know what it's like to be casually called a commie. it is, just like friend of the family

Uh, no it isn't. Go gently caress yourself.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I blame TV, rap music and video games.

All those things are made by people.

So I guess it comes down to People.

People suck.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i find it kind of amusing and kind of offensive that 4chan drove off the op for being terrible and he ran crying to gbs looking for sympathy.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

i find it kind of amusing and kind of offensive that 4chan drove off the op for being terrible and he ran crying to gbs looking for sympathy.

i didnt think you could be run off by 4chan because they all post anonymously. they are all wearing those guy fawkes masks at their computers all the time. occasionally one of them posts a "dank meme" and strokes the chin of the mask in satisfaction

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hammerite posted:

i didnt think you could be run off by 4chan because they all post anonymously. they are all wearing those guy fawkes masks at their computers all the time. occasionally one of them posts a "dank meme" and strokes the chin of the mask in satisfaction

not formally, but they were still mean enough to the dumbass op that he ran here to tattle on them

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

not formally, but they were still mean enough to the dumbass op that he ran here to tattle on them

I finally got permabanned there after getting regular banned 41 times so it was more like I was run out rather than ran away.

World Kraid Center
Oct 18, 2009

...and the pitch! posted:

Uh, no it isn't. Go gently caress yourself.

it isn't a word rooted in history, a history of varying levels of privilege, of oppressors and the oppressed? when someone whose family was never part of the communist party is called a communist, they don't have a right to be annoyed?

nah, sorry. history is objective truth, and there is a closer comparison to be made here than there is between friend of the family and something like 'boat'

but look at you, SJW, how you're so terrified of critical thought, how you're incapable of addressing an argument fairly, calmly, rationally and spelling out like an adult why it "triggered" you. no surprise, with all that red text next to your post, that you're both unfunny and braindead. go back to tumblr.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Doredrin posted:

I finally got permabanned there after getting regular banned 41 times so it was more like I was run out rather than ran away.

oh, my mistake. well, have fun at something sensitive after you get permabanned here for being terrible.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

the n word

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Shut up you ole bitch rear end negroid

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Doredrin posted:

ah thank goodness you're here we certainly need, more posters who were permabanned from, loving 4chan

banme
Apr 23, 2008

Doredrin posted:

getting regular banned 41 times

jesus, you might have a problem

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
whats up my nickleback

banme
Apr 23, 2008
you get banned over 40 times and then p banned from 4chan and now youre whining about them using the word 'friend of the family' im starting to hate you op

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
C'mon, everyone has nipples, even black people! Although I have heard that black women have purple nipples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
nooner?

• Locked thread