Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

CommissarMega posted:

What really gets me is that they used friggin' RPGMaker for a visual novel. I mean, what the hell? Ren'py's free, right? You have to actively pay for or pirate RPGMaker.

It's a horrible idea all around, compounded by the fact that the author of this game doesn't know how to use RPG Maker properly, either. He's claimed on Steam forums before that certain things cannot be done in RPG Maker that would have actively improved his game ... when they are, indeed, things that RPG Maker can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
There is a special place in hell reserved for you, OP.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ritznit posted:

It's a horrible idea all around, compounded by the fact that the author of this game doesn't know how to use RPG Maker properly, either. He's claimed on Steam forums before that certain things cannot be done in RPG Maker that would have actively improved his game ... when they are, indeed, things that RPG Maker can do.
I was about to say "Maybe Renpy has a steeper learning curve than RPG Maker," but I just spent thirty seconds downloading it and looking at its example project and I already feel like I could make a game in it.

Not that it means much to be easier to use than RPG Maker. RPG Maker is a nightmare, especially if you want to make an RPG.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh dear. :cripes: This is going to be... an experience, certainly.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:shittypop:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

I'd just like to point out the amazing pseudonyms these people use: art by "PawziClawzi", music by "Fox Amoore".

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

these testimonials on steam

why am i not surprised that all of their names are a little bit skeezy

that's the magic of a target market

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its been a real good while since the last Lets Point (and Laugh.)

I missed these sort of LPs.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So I'd like to point out that I originally intended to make this thread, but the game was just so lovely that I gave up and Blarghalt offered to take the reins. I'll probably throw in a bonus scene for the maid cafe we turned down, because it's so loving stupid that it's unreal.

One thing you may not have noticed yet but will become increasingly obvious as the game progress is that the main character does not actually say anything. Anything the protagonist says is paraphrased by internal monologue and implied by character reactions. This persists throughout the entire game. The main character does not have a single loving spoken word in the entire game.

This is somehow only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the incompetence of the game's writing.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
A Thing in fiction is to try to pull the reader into the story by stripping away as much of the narrator-protagonist's identity as possible

e.g. by withholding all details of the narrator-protagonist's appearance, giving the narrator-protagonist no personality/a laughably unstable and overemotional personality, making the narrator-protagonist a tremendous steaming pile of every character flaw the author can think of, etc

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (if you're a lovely writer, it doesn't)

i think this could be an interesting case study in bad writing, looking forward to more updates

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that every character in the game is an insert of somebody's fursona.

Close!

He inserted anyone who kickstarted or patreoned or whatever at a certain level into the game.

He also didn't get any women to do so, so he had to just make up any female character you see in this game.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Gloomy Rube posted:

Close!

He inserted anyone who kickstarted or patreoned or whatever at a certain level into the game.

He also didn't get any women to do so, so he had to just make up any female character you see in this game.

:psyduck:

You'd think just by pure chance you'd get some in any group larger than, like... five. Even for something like this.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ZeeToo posted:

:psyduck:

You'd think just by pure chance you'd get some in any group larger than, like... five. Even for something like this.

It is almost as if no human females wanted to be associated with this project. How odd.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Steam Greenlight was a mistake.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 4, 2016

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
This will have an emotional impact indeed, Mr. Cold Vixen. I doubt it will be good emotions, judging by the first update, but derisive laughing is an emotion, right?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Welcome back to Major\Minor. When we last left Rabies McFutts, he had just been visited by the Furry Outsider, and is content saying he's comfortable in a reality where strangers ask him if he wants to go to maid cafes.

But now I know one thing for sure: That really happened -- The Ark wasn't just a dream. He actually gave me some sort of power. I have no idea what to think right now. The confusion inside me intensifies. It's like millions of voices are fighting in my head. Trying to make sense of everything that happened.

Hey, are you coming?

It's handy to know that Rabies' body goes on autopilot from time to time. Or maybe getting visited by Furry Outsider makes his brain short circuit. I don't know, and neither does the writer.

Gee, I wonder what you could have said that would make me not want to talk to you.

I tell him that he did nothing wrong. I let him know that I was lost in my own train of thought. He seems to giggle, as if this was a pun. I decide to take the credit for it. Perhaps in an attempt to ease my inner turmoil.

As least he waited for me, or I'd be clueless right now. That's the last thing I'd want to be. Alone and confused in Tokyo -- bad combination.

I apologize for the delay as we exit the train. Fright looms over me for the rest of the day. Whatever happened tonight -- would change everything.

And with no warning whatsoever, we're abruptly whisked away to a courtroom with some bellhop furry giving an introduction.

Your current leader in the race for Mayor. And with that -- your future King.

I've been his humble servant for years. And through that, I am certain of one thing. He will bring Terra to an age of prosperity.

Look at the size of that badge! :shittypop: He must be important!

I shall speak of this prosperity on my own. This is something every Terran must hear. Under our current King -- we are doomed.

Forgive me, Lord Plair! I did not mean to embarrass you...! Not in front of all these people...

I mean you no quarrel, Riley. Have a seat. I'll call you as needed.

Yes, my Lord.

The last two lines of this paragraph are totally pointless. Why couldn't he just say the first?

Why give your family food when you could make them food? :black101:

You work harder than you ever have before. But you only have enough food to feed half. The rest of your family will simply starve. Though before you can eat, there's a knock. A violent rapping on the door of your home.

You learn that it's someone new to Terra. They fled the destruction of their home. All they want is a new life on our soil. They beg for your food, almost dying. But if you feed them -- your family suffers. In this case, charity is a curse. They live, and your family may die.

So what would you do? Would you help a stranger? Even if it goes on to hurt your family? I believe I know what your answer is. "Why would I let my family die?" "Why would I give a stranger -my- food?"

For reasons that are becoming increasingly obvious, I've taken to calling this guy Tiger Trump.

Here's something I should mention. Terra is basically a shithole. Throughout the game, we're gonna see nothing but indications that it's a place that only knows famine and poverty, and pretty much completely unsalvagable. But the game is gonna try its damndest to make use care for a place that would truly be better off if a meteor hit it.

Oh, and Terra's ruled by an immortal king named Velasquez. He's not very good at his job.

Every immigrant we accept? They're another stroke on our canvas. One that paints us as lax and lazy. The more we accept into our world? The more we condemn ourselves to accept. This is the power of that word of mouth.

At this rate, we will all die. Regardless of our origin, we will starve. I wanted a strict immigration law. But even this would not help us. You don't allow a disease to run rampant. We need to cure this blight -- permanently.

A vote for Plair will give us severance. A disconnect from all the other worlds. No longer will they be able to use us.

Wait, is he running for Mayor or King?

Only then, will we be free from immigration. Only then, will our resources be our own. That is all...Will there be any questions?

Kill me.

Please speak, my child.

My name is Caylen. Please refrain from calling me child. I'm not one of your blind followers.

The real problem lies with your greed. You're a noble -- you have so much food. Why do you hoard and say we've run short?

What...?

I can tell just by what he's wearing that people on Terra do not in fact have an opportunity to lead happy lives.

You're a single man. Yet I've seen some inside reports.

Inside reports?

Wouldn't it be more fitting to share? The supply is there -- Lord Plair. Your campaign is based on a lie. And why -do- you have so much food? You don't look that round to me.

This is why Lord Velasquez wants a tithe. Not on everybody -- just the rich. So I don't think you care about our food. Or any resources for that matter...You only care about removing foreigners.

So my question is: What is the true reason you seek severance?

IS HE RUNNING FOR MAYOR OR KING YOU HAVE NOT EXPLAINED THIS AT ALL

Future King...? Don't make me laugh. You're avoiding the question.

Where is your proof...? Accusations require evidence, Caylen. Something I'm sure you don't have. I laugh at the notion that I am hoarding. Especially enough to feed dozens of people? I know the importance of giving. I would never keep that while others starve.

You think the furry equivalent of Ayn Rand exists on Terra? Also, what kind of lazy loving writer can't come up with a better name than the most default sci-fi name for a planet?

I asked why you seek severance. And you go and get -this- defensive...? You hatred speaks volumes, "Lord" Plair. There's no need to discriminate here. Everyone deserves food and shelter. Not just those natives to Terra.

...I seek severance to be independent. I only want to share amongst our own. I don't want a reputation of "charity". I want Terra to thrive on its own. If we keep giving things away? We only give off a bad image of ourselves.

Well, even if you did achieve severance? We'd still be full of immigrants. Not only that, but their descendants too. How does this make you feel...?

And let the sergals eat up all our food and marry all our daughters? Over my dead body! :argh:

Was Plair seriously loving planning on renaming the planet?

Typical politician...Makings [sic] things up. Turning all the negatives into positives. I'll give you credit -- but I'm not fooled.

I ask again for proof, child.

Fine -- your servant Kabu has all of it. He provided a peculiar shipping manifest. It should be all that we need to prove this.

What!?

And the evidence substantiates his claims. Claims of hearing immigrant hate speech. A nightly pastime of yours, it seems. I'll let him handle it from here.

I just love how the wretchedly poor of this planet can still somehow scrounge together enough money for golden dog collars and intricate body tattoos.

Kabu -- you traitor! What have I done to deserve this...?

At first I thought Plair was my friend. I know I'm not from Terra, but...He made me feel wanted -- like a son.

Was you realizing he wanted a cheap servant before or after he made you dress in potato sack rags?

Hoarding enough to food a dozen people would not create a noticeable difference in the worldwide food supply goddamnit.

But he's still talking about being the future king? Do you have to be mayor to be king? Will he use the position of mayor to become king? Also, Mayor of loving what?

Why is a king who is immortal bothering with elections?

Your badge isn't big enough.

The shipping manifest for those curious:

(100) Giant Badges

(100) More Giant Badges

(500) Giant Badge Assembly Kits

(1000) Foods

And the scene ends here, abruptly as it started.

Hey, wanna know the best part? As soon as it ends, you get an achievement called Make Terra Great Again.

No, I'm not kidding.

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 10, 2017

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Haaaaaaaaate.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My least favorite thing about the art style is that all of these furry animals get randomly tacked on human hair. It's as dumb as putting a wig on your pet, and :argh:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
i love hate you, tiger millionaire

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So as the individual responsible for putting Blarghalt up to this, I'd like to share some history about this game. The dev, being hasty in all decisions, released this game roughly a year ago with just the first chapter, and then released more content over time. For some reason, there used to be two listings of this game on Steam at different price points, despite being completely identical. Now, make no mistake, the writing in this game is completely atrocious - we see this through typos, mangled grammar, awful word choice, and schizophrenic presentation. The rub?

It used to be even worse.

If you don't believe me, I still have some old screenshots lying around from a much earlier version:

You can pretty easily tell which parts of the very beginning this is, and the prose is completely unnatural and extraordinarily awkward. I've tried reading some of these lines out loud, and it's really difficult to do it without raising an eyebrow and thinking "Who the gently caress speaks like this?"

In older drafts, mystery furry was a bit more forthcoming with what your "power" is. I don't know if this got changed because the dev thought it was revealing too much too early, or if he just realized what a gigantic loving lie it was. It will forever remain a mystery.

Older versions also beat the "the dev is a gigantic anime nerd" drum far harder. Also to note is that the backgrounds used to be google image search plus a blur filter. Now I believe they're public domain stock photos.

Another nightmarish thing about the earlier versions was that every single loving sentence a character said was in quotation marks. Because apparently the speech box itself was not enough indication of speech. I wonder if the dev had to spend a bunch of time manually deleting them all.

This was also the save menu. Apparently this is what our non-talking protagonist looks like!

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Charged political commentary now too! How exciting!

That change of "plot" almost made me dizzy. I feel like the creator should have spent more time in school and less time dreaming up Terra.

Those older shots are infuriating. I am angry again. Thank god I'm not the one playing it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If that achievement bar is what I think it is, barely over half of people who got this game made it even this far.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm glad that in the middle of this train ride I get to hear about the growing nationalistic, protectionist political movement of a completely different planet that's not called earth but it goes by earth's name in Latin.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Is this game about something or not?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Waffleman_ posted:

If that achievement bar is what I think it is, barely over half of people who got this game made it even this far.

Even by basic visual novel standards, this game is very incompetently made. We're already well aware that there are fixed save points (which have varying distances from decision points, so if you want to backtrack a decision, be ready to click through a bunch of crap again!) but also lacks basic VN features like text speed, being able to scroll back in the dialogue, and being able to skip stuff you've seen before. The writing itself is atrocious at best, but the technical incompetence really makes you suffer.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Cathode Raymond posted:

Is this game about something or not?

That is actually a very good question. As someone who has experienced this horror before, I legitimately can't tell you. It definitely tries to be about something ... of some description.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

#imwithfur

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

inthesto posted:

Even by basic visual novel standards, this game is very incompetently made. We're already well aware that there are fixed save points (which have varying distances from decision points, so if you want to backtrack a decision, be ready to click through a bunch of crap again!) but also lacks basic VN features like text speed, being able to scroll back in the dialogue, and being able to skip stuff you've seen before. The writing itself is atrocious at best, but the technical incompetence really makes you suffer.

And this is literally all because they used an RPG engine rather than a VN engine~

All those features are loving default poo poo in Ren'Py.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

And to do most of that stuff in RPG Maker, there's free scripts you can find really easily if you were really really set on using RPG maker.

But no.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Thank you for raising awareness of GOTY 2016 Major/Minor, OP.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I hope everyone enjoys the character art and poses. You have seen Kila in two different poses now. Those are the only character art of him in the entire game. There are no varied pictures showing different emotions, or heaven forbid, action. Most characters have one pose that shows up when they are first introduced, and the rest of the time they use a standard position, usually with one hand held up, palm out, cocked at the elbow, cheerful facial expression.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

inthesto posted:

This was also the save menu. Apparently this is what our non-talking protagonist looks like!

Makes sense.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

And this is literally all because they used an RPG engine rather than a VN engine~

All those features are loving default poo poo in Ren'Py.
Considering the quality of their art, the best option might have been to use Inform 7.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

FractalSandwich posted:

Considering the quality of their art, the best option might have been to use Inform 7.

I'd probably have said Twine.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

FractalSandwich posted:

poo poo, if this is what Infocom would have been reduced to making if they'd survived until today, maybe their demise was for the best.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Geomancing posted:

I hope everyone enjoys the character art and poses. You have seen Kila in two different poses now. Those are the only character art of him in the entire game. There are no varied pictures showing different emotions, or heaven forbid, action. Most characters have one pose that shows up when they are first introduced, and the rest of the time they use a standard position, usually with one hand held up, palm out, cocked at the elbow, cheerful facial expression.

Adding to this, there is one character in the game that has different facial expressions, but guess what? Since we told Kila we don't like maid cafes, she never shows up in the entire game .

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

FractalSandwich posted:

Honestly, the art in and of itself isn't terrible (since most of these characters belong to other people, you can't really blame the artist for the horrendous designs), but somehow it's just not FUNCTIONAL for a visual novel.

As another poster pointed out, each character has only two poses, one of which gets used once and is then forgotten. The thing is, most visual novels make the character art relatively simple, so poses and facial expressions can be modified and redrawn fairly easily. The developer ended up commissioning art that's actually too detailed, and now the result is that every god drat line of dialogue is spoken with the same loving face.

The worst part is that since this had an episodic release and sold fairly well, the dev did have revenue which could have been spent for more visuals. Either the dev chose not to do this, or it never even crossed his mind.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Wait, the blue otter said he wasn't from Terra. Does this mean that Terra is actually a continent or is there actually space travel going on? Also just wanna mention that inspite of this not actually being Earth, Japan still exists just the same.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Terra and Earth are separate planets here.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I guess Terra is going to get in a war with Earth somehow and our protagonist is going to be the only one who can stop it from blowing up both worlds or something. And he's going to do it from Japan because ...Japan? Yep, nothing dumb about that.

Why do I get the feeling our protagonist's old savegame appearance is modeled after Shovel Knight and that's why we never get to see what he looks like in the finished version? This game :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Blarghalt posted:

Adding to this, there is one character in the game that has different facial expressions, but guess what? Since we told Kila we don't like maid cafes, she never shows up in the entire game .

So just to make sure, the reason you know this is because you peaked at this game's data, right? You didn't actually play this multiple times for this LP, did you? Because if you did it makes this thread a whole lot less funny and pretty much pushes it straight into "call for help" territory.

• Locked thread