Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I'm all for seeing where this silly game goes. As far as graphics are concerned it does indeed look way better than some of the anime inspired visual novels I have seen.
That one visual novel about mixing and matching dna is still burned into my head on how horrible the character art looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
What I'm really wondering is what the heck any of this has to do with Terra. I want to see the adventures of Mayor Trump trying to overthrow God King Valasquez. I'm at least assuming the murders have something to do with it.
I just wish our hero was stuck in non essential fillerville and actually starting tying into the greater story at large.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
So are we supposed to believe that the god king is the good guy and Trump is the badguy? As far as I can tell at least trump isn't hiring assassins or trying to plant evidence. I don't really buy that the guy trying to overthrow the king is actually the villain of this piece.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Come on. You need all those variables for all the super important choices that go absolutely nowhere and don't even really show a change in any characters relationship to our protagonist.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Well for one the background isn't a stock photo with a blur filter applied. It's a cg photo with a blur filter applied not as heavily so you can see what the background is. Although you are correct. But i'm trying to figure out what a proof of concept for a visual novel would look like.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Here's something to consider.
As far as we know there haven't been any actual good guys in the game so far outside of Rabies and possibly Kila.

From band management on down everyone that has interacted with our "Hero" has done so because they have no choice or has an ulterior motive. Rook clearly only tolerated rabies and Kila because they won a contest and is more than willing to send them back, the same goes with Singe. The bird lady clearly has no clue what's happening around her and just wanted to use rabies as a kind of sounding board for her own crackpot theories which although true are unproveable to anyone but the kidnap victims who are most likely trapped in Pliars dungeons.

From Terra's side of things we have the furry outsider who is working with God King Xerxes and only gave us our powers and most likely fed Rabies a story on how he is the "Savior" so as to make it easier for him to manipulate Rabies into doing what the king wants. Then we have the dynamic duo who are the most incompetent assassins who think a guild can really be make up of just two people and aren't even smart enough to question anything the King does and follows orders blindly and never really question if what they are doing is right. Heck they gave no thought that perhaps they might be in the wrong by trying to sabotage their own democratic process in order to keep their King in power. I'm hoping the dynamic duo pay for their actions in the end in some way because ignorance doesn't absolve you of your actions.

Righty can't really be considered a good guy either because he's willing to use the guy who literally just showed up as a pawn to try and overthrow the King.

As bad as Kila is and as dumb as he acts especially since he literally had to twist the midnight murder theory around just so he can justify how Klace may have ended up on Terra well before Rabies and himself ended up there later and didn't think even once that perhaps Klace was just flat out murdered and has nothing to do with the games "plot". All Kila wants is a friend and at least he has Righty for that now even though that may get him into a lot of trouble.

As far as the story itself goes from this point forward there should be no reason to cut back to Earth since the story doesn't take place there and there's no reason to keep coming back to it unless the payoff is that the band somehow finds a way to transport Rabies and Kila back to Earth which isn't likely since by the games own rules the ritual tends to leave dead bodies of those transported in their originating dimension..

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It seems the game finally dropped the pretense of there being a mayoral race with a lead up to king and made it just about the victor of the race becoming the next god king.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It isn't a dilemma for him at this point. He's just doing what he's told right now because he was told that he is the "Savior". Hopefully the King will actually extrapolate what that is supposed to mean soon.
I don't know what will happen if power crystals somehow get involved.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I like the presentation of Rabies that the thread developed so I thought I would see what the prologue would look like if the game's Rabies was replaced with the one created by the thread. I hope you guys enjoy the slight rewrite of the start of the game

Major/Minor: Dark Incognate

Prologue:

“Where am I? Is this outer space? No… It can’t be. Not again! I was so close this time. All I needed was just a little more time and I could have used the power crystals to engulf the world in darkness! Curse those Warriors of Light. No matter what I do they seem to get in my way. Well since I may be here for a while I might as well look around. A lot of good that will do me though.” So our stalwart hero stops talking to himself and tries to look around. It’s nothing he hasn’t seen before because it’s not the first time he was banished to space. You would be amazed how many villains are ejected into space. It happens so often that there is a moon made of monsters that were launched into space. With really nothing left to do our hero decides to wait. One of two things usually happens. Some unlucky fool will happen upon him in their space ship or he gets summoned. Both usually ends pretty poorly for those that aren’t him. Although this time around he did have something he wanted to do. He had planned to do it after he completed his dark deeds. You see our hero Rabies Mcfutts had won a contest and earned the chance to meet one of his favorite idols, That idol being the musical sensation only known as Klace. Rabies thought he had plenty of time to go once he finished with his dark quest. But of course those blasted Warriors of Light had to come between him and his goals once more and now his chance is gone.

While Rabies was fuming, a hand reaches out to him and touches him on his shoulder. Rabies turns around ready to slug the impudent fool who decided to touch him. However instead he was taken aback by what he was looking at. It appeared to be a humanoid dog with brown fur. What was even weirder was that he was wearing a tattered red scarf over and equally tattered gray sweatshirt with red shoelaces going down the center. It was then that the mysterious dog person spoke in a kind of gruff voice “Hello and welcome… to the Ark. This is a very special place, you see. Only a select few are allowed to be here” Rabies scoffs, this place doesn’t look so special. It looked very much like the same expanse of space he’s already seen a dozen times. Curse those Warriors of Light. One day he will have his revenge. The mysterious dog person continues as if his guest didn’t just scoff at the idea that this is a special place. “This is home to those touched by fate. Imbued within is a power most would call fiction. Other have come, but now it’s your turn. Now before we can proceed further I need your name. It’s just a bit of red tape but unfortunately the power I’m about to grant you won’t work unless the proper paperwork is filled out.”

Rabies thinks to himself a little bit. This dog person seems suspect enough as it is and now he is offering some kind of mysterious power but requires a name to do so. Most of the time power is usually given via blood oath. Eh oh well. It’s not like he has anything else to lose at this point and who knows perhaps this is the thing he needs to do so he can return home and go meet his idol before embarking on another dark adventure. Once the name is given the dog person then speaks “In giving me your name (There seems to be a slight pause here. Did he forget what he’s supposed to say?) the deed is done. Your service to me and the Ark is pledged. But do not worry, you are not a slave. Your service rewards you with a power. Something that most would kill to achieve.” Rabies scoffs yet again. He’s seen power that most would kill to achieve, such as the ability to rain down meteors on an unsuspecting village and wiping it off the map. Man that was a fun day. The mysterious stranger seems to be a little annoyed but continues further none the less. “Others must bend to the rules of the world. But for you (slight pause) the opposite rings true. You are no longer a victim of circumstance. When you make a choice, reality will bend. Your every whim will fall into your lap. The universe now accommodates you. This is the power granted to you by the ark. This is the power granted to you by me.”

For that last part of the sentence, the voice of the mystery dog man sounded a little more ominous than it should have. Rabies at this point has had enough of this joker and decides to turn and use his not always useful ability to walk on air to proceed to walk away from the stranger. Now the stranger is perplexed and worried so he quickly runs and catches up to Rabies. “Look, it seems like you want to get home. I can help you with that. I just want to say this before I send you back. I will find you again soon and perhaps then we can talk a little bit more before you decide to storm off. Don’t be scared. I mean you know harm.” With that the dog person waves a paw in front of Rabies and everything goes dark.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Olive Branch posted:

I read Acheron as "Archaon" and immediately thought of this.

Watch out Rabies, you have a contender for the Power Crystals and the Holy Maiden.

Holy crap that bio has all kinds of things wrong with it.
When the gear necklace was brought up and mentioned that Hyena guy also wore it, I thought that it meant that Maxine and Hyena guy were the same person.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It could be postulated that the furry outsider who is also able to dimension hop did it. Since he was the one that brought Rabies to the ark in the first place it can be assumed he has the ability to dimension hop others too. It most likely happened the same way Rabies got back. Someone chocked the life out of him since a cadaver seems to be a requirement and the outsider swapped bodies. Since Pliars' valet killed Rabies to send him back it can also be assumed that he somehow did the same to Kila while somehow not alerting Righty. Which then makes him a much better assassin than the two Rabies Palled around with.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I wouldn't know what you mean by that. His self insert died completely off screen and never even showed up.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Crap these assassins are bad at their jobs. The one person they were tasked with guarding gets kidnapped and they file paperwork in the middle of their secret mission which alerts the local immigration overlord of their deception against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
True. Technically Samus is considered a bounty hunter due to the fact that she does get paid to take on certain missions, usually contracted to her by the federation. Bulk and Skull I wouldn't classify as assassins since apparently they can't seem to do the job that that implies and take on more of a spy/gopher role. Now it's true that an assassin might be able act as a spy but that's usually so they can get close to their target. Here they are just doing crap willy nilly because the god-king can't be arsed to hire more competent people to handle a kidnapping.

• Locked thread