Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
And then there's abortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

a podcast for cats posted:

Malta just legalised recreational cannabis about an hour ago. Law has to be signed by the president to come into force, but that's usually a formality.

The Pres has indeed signed it. I was curious to see that sale was still illegal but the law does allow distribution via non-profit cannabis clubs.

Which is interesting, its good that there's a legal space for sharing but that seems like a deliberate breeding ground for an illicit marlet to thrive and usually one of the strongest arguments on favour of legalisation is that it weakens organised crime revenue.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

There's always the possibility other countries are more cautious about legalization because the legalization of cannabis in member countries is banned by a UN convention that's probably followed more closely than most of the ones against war crimes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Inspector Hound posted:

There's always the possibility other countries are more cautious about legalization because the legalization of cannabis in member countries is banned by a UN convention that's probably followed more closely than most of the ones against war crimes

I don't know that it's possible to really express how much damage America's war on drugs has done to the world.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Harry J Anslinger was pretty happy about that one. In college i felt like a stereotype was that at least one student in a class will do a paper or something on why drugs should be legal, so I did one on why cannabis shouldn't be legalized and finished it with the 1961 single convention on narcotic drugs as a reason why it simply can't be. It was still dumb but it was a fun exercise, and I learned that that convention really would either keep it from getting federally legalized or represent another piece of foundation hammered out of the UN by the United States just ignoring treaties and rules; I just don't think you could get all those countries to agree to remove it from the list.

E Anslinger's papers, found them looking for some info about the convention

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 23, 2021

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know that it's possible to really express how much damage America's war on drugs has done to the world.

As of this time 2020:

quote:

With a vote of 27 in favour, 25 against, and one abstention, the CND has opened the door to recognizing the medicinal and therapeutic potential of the drug, although its use for non-medical and non-scientific purposes will continue to remain illegal.  According to news reports, the decision could drive additional scientific research into the plant’s medicinal properties.
https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/12/1079132

Sigh.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Inspector Hound posted:

quote:

the Single Convention is the only United Nations treaty characterising the activity it seeks to regulate, control or prohibit as being ‘evil’.

quote:

neither slavery,25 apartheid26 nor torture27 are described as being ‘evil’ in the relevant international conventions that prohibit them. Nuclear war is not described as being ‘evil’ in the treaty that seeks to limit the proliferation of atomic weapons, despite the recognition in the preamble that ‘devastation that would be visited upon all mankind’ by such a conflict.28 The closest one finds to the language contained in the preamble to the Single Convention to describe drugs is that found in international instruments in the context of genocide. For example, in describing the crimes committed during the Second World War, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights uses the term ‘barbarous acts’
https://www.hr-dp.org/contents/669

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://njmonthly.com/articles/jersey-living/not-in-my-town-many-new-jerseyans-resist-marijuana-dispensaries-close-to-home/

There's a local politico who is quoted in that article as saying that a weed shop in his town will lead to "gangs on the street"

In 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

https://njmonthly.com/articles/jersey-living/not-in-my-town-many-new-jerseyans-resist-marijuana-dispensaries-close-to-home/

There's a local politico who is quoted in that article as saying that a weed shop in his town will lead to "gangs on the street"

In 2022

We had these letters in the Times or Telegraph newspaper the other day

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Literally some Victor Licata poo poo in 2022. 20 loving 22.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

fuctifino posted:

We had these letters in the Times or Telegraph newspaper the other day

Well, Sturt Reece sounds like he knows all about drugs.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Hamilton's Pharmacopea should do an episode where he tries to overdose on cannabis.

I just ate 900mg of decarb'd shatter which is at a purity level that would be illegal to retail in this state but is totally fine for me to crank out in my little lab and give away, in quantities that are not to exceed 4 grams in a single transaction.

A friend dragged a pound of old weed up here for me to blast with ethanol, and we had a good laugh that everything about this was legal except technically he should have made 16 trips because transporting more than an ounce at a time is still a felony or some poo poo. :allears:

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em. I haven't paid for weed in years, don't plan on starting as retail opens up but hopefully I can keep hitting ever higher yield numbers so that my friends and family can also not pay for overpriced state-stamped weed.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Louisiana Senate Candidate Rips Enormous Blunt in First Campaign Ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj_FD25oREY

quote:

Gary Chambers is running to unseat Republican John Kennedy on a platform centered around cannabis legalization, economic aid, voting rights, and Medicare for All

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
He's not gonna win

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: wrong thread

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sounds like recreational retail shops could be opening in NJ in a few weeks :toot:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Snowy posted:

Sounds like recreational retail shops could be opening in NJ in a few weeks :toot:

Come on Newark, don't let me down baby

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

Newark will only ever let you down.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Inspector Hound posted:

Bloomfield will have one of the first shops

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Snowy posted:

The CRC is the worst and I don't trust them one loving bit

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
:siren: Mod hat on: :siren: I hope y'all get legal weed, it owns, 420 smoke weed everyday

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Recreational weed has been “legal” in Malta since December, but you can still not buy it legally. The cannabis clubs/associations that are supposed to be the legal avenue cannot be set up yet, because the adminstrative framework to regulate and oversee them does not exist yet. The locals trying to work with the authority that was set up have been saying it’s a couple of months away, but I’m getting a feeling it will stay a couple of months away for the next 6-12 months or so.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Lol my company was the only one to not get approval for rec in NJ.

:welp:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The prohibs have found a new way to poo poo on cannabis law reforms:

https://twitter.com/nbeaudrot/status/1536002828275052544?s=21&t=YOKW6SbsiQqDh5Jibkgocg

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

https://twitter.com/JPopProjectNews/status/1546841025557237760?t=qeXSPozPD3vJdEedgmYARw&s=19

A bold strategy, lets see if it pays off.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How quickly are they gonna get unpersoned?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Police have countered by hiring an existing top idol group to warn of the dangers of weed and remind people that just because it's okay overseas doesn't mean it isn't evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLI84KZxAPs

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

New PM already wrecking things.

https://www.caribbeannationalweekly.com/caribbean-breaking-news-featured/britain-blocks-bermudas-cannabis-legislation/

This is going to be a rough two and a half years.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

who's the PM? the governor is against the bill but the premier, the head of government, is strongly for

edit oh you mean Truss nm

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm happy to report that weed busses are now a thing in Buffalo, NY

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Meals on Wheels, but for weed :unsmith:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I and a friend were trying to figure out what's the farthest point from any adult-use recreational state in the continental US. How far can you possibly flee from legal weed?? I think Miami, Florida. They think Brownsville, TX. Who is correct?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I and a friend were trying to figure out what's the farthest point from any adult-use recreational state in the continental US. How far can you possibly flee from legal weed?? I think Miami, Florida. They think Brownsville, TX. Who is correct?

The Florida Keys, at a glance; New Mexico is too close to any part of Texas for it to work.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

and that's why there's no weed in the valley or key west

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

We forgot about New Mexico.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

KillHour posted:

Only a matter of time before someone's selling budsicles out of a re-creation of Afroman's ice cream truck.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Those won't last forever. NJ did their crackdown on it, and NY is expected to do so this year.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dilber posted:

Those won't last forever. NJ did their crackdown on it, and NY is expected to do so this year.

Yes but the reason they are going to do so is because sale and consumption licenses are expected to be available.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

KillHour posted:

Yes but the reason they are going to do so is because sale and consumption licenses are expected to be available.

Yeah, I know. The company that I work for is likely going for one of the licenses, but not sure if it's going for one that is being divested or if we think we can get a fresh one. NY has been a mess as part of the rollout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

KillHour posted:

It's actually a temporary tattoo bus