Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/where-donald-trump-stands-on-weed-legalization-2016-11
"Marijuana is such a big thing. I think medical should happen — right? Don’t we agree? I think so. And then I really believe we should leave it up to the states.""

So this would be the one thing Trump said that we can take to be true?

Or maybe: U.S. Attorney General Nominee Jeff Sessions Likely Changing Federal Cannabis Policy

quote:

Although the details surrounding the alleged meeting are in no way clear, at least not at this point, industry experts do seem to think it is possible that the new U.S. Attorney General could be planning to void the Cole Memorandum – a set of guidelines used by the Obama Administration to explain its “hands off” approach to the legal cannabis trade.

“It looks like the Trump administration is going to move forward with their new plan with out any public input or overview,” O’Neil said in an email.

Some of the latest speculation surrounding the Trump Administration’s possible newfound approach to the legal cannabis industry is that it will have the biggest impact on the recreational sector. While still only rumors, there are some who believe that the entire scope of the recreational pot market, which allows adults 21 and over to purchase weed regardless of medical necessity, will be forced to shutdown once Trump take over the White House – eliminating the cultivation and sales of the cannabis plant in the eight states that have brought an end to prohibition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

radical meme posted:

So what's the level of concern here, if any, that our new law and order President is going to unleash AG Sessions to crack down on all these people violating Federal law?

It's low hanging fruit for Sessions to prove his bonafides.

It might be low-hanging fruit in that he would have a good legal case but it's not low-hanging fruit in that it's very politically unpopular, there is no demographic group out there that supports federal raids on the legal marijuana market. Even the evangelicals don't really care about weed much anymore and strong opposition mostly comes from law enforcement and weirdos like Kevin Sabet. That said, all evidence points to the fact that Sessions himself is a drug warrior and might be interested in doing it just because he personally thinks it's a good idea. I very much doubt that Trump would encourage him to do something that's very unpopular around an issue he probably doesn't really care much about, I think it all comes down to how much Sessions personally desires to pick this fight.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

I think it all comes down to how much Sessions personally desires to pick this fight.

Those people goin to jail.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
NIDA is having trouble coming to grips with the new Monitoring the Futures report:

quote:

American voters and legislatures increasingly are allowing medical and adult recreational use of marijuana, but as home-growing spreads and retail stores open, younger teens are reporting the scarcest availability in at least 24 years.

“I don’t have an explanation. This is somewhat surprising,” says Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which commissions the annual survey.

“We had predicted based on the changes in legalization, culture in the U.S. as well as decreasing perceptions among teenagers that marijuana was harmful that [accessibility and use] would go up. But it hasn’t gone up,” she says. http://www.usnews.com/news/data-mine/articles/2016-12-13/marijuana-is-harder-than-ever-for-younger-teens-to-find

Also quotes noted shitlord Kevin Sabet who is trying to spin the stats in his favour:

quote:

"This year's results should be a wake-up call to all of us," says former presidential drug policy adviser Kevin Sabet, leader of the national anti-legalization group Smart Approaches to Marijuana.

"We are seeing heartening declines in the use of almost every category of drug -- legal or illegal -- except for marijuana," he says. "The policy environment of legalization, acceptance and commercialization is making marijuana the exception."

The news of the day though is the new Canadian report which will form the basis of their approach to regulating cannabis properly: http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/task-force-marijuana-groupe-etude/framework-cadre/alt/framework-cadre-eng.pdf

Canadian liqour accelerated the decline of National Prohibition so I'm hoping the same thing will happen here.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 14, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

It might be low-hanging fruit in that he would have a good legal case but it's not low-hanging fruit in that it's very politically unpopular, there is no demographic group out there that supports federal raids on the legal marijuana market. Even the evangelicals don't really care about weed much anymore and strong opposition mostly comes from law enforcement and weirdos like Kevin Sabet. That said, all evidence points to the fact that Sessions himself is a drug warrior and might be interested in doing it just because he personally thinks it's a good idea. I very much doubt that Trump would encourage him to do something that's very unpopular around an issue he probably doesn't really care much about, I think it all comes down to how much Sessions personally desires to pick this fight.

Trump has already indicated that he plans to be incredibly hands-off, so be prepared for his Czars to do whatever they feel like. The best hope for legal weed is that hands-off Trump allows for inter-departmental squabbles in his absence that hinders Sessions.

I don't have high hopes.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I expect the drug laws to remain hosed for some time, especially with this guy being appointed in the Trump administration:

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/hypocrisy-of-legalizing-pot-undermines-americas-war-on-hard-core-drugs-general-says

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's Pence's take on legal weed?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
The DEA is trying to put the clampdown on CBD:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/12/14/2016-29941/establishment-of-a-new-drug-code-for-marihuana-extract

A lobbyist said that support for legalization is a mile wide and an inch deep but now we're talking about a medicine that families rely on to suppress seizures and can't get you high. They are trying to strangle the small producers before a pharmaceutical company can roll out a product. They have seriously misjudged the national attitude, people might feel funny about getting high but they will take notice of sick children suffering.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 14, 2016

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Dmitri-9 posted:

people might feel funny about getting high but they will take notice of sick children suffering.

Only if media time is bought and then served to their facebook feeds. This is the landscape we're operating in now.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

If we can watch children die on beaches and watch their houses bombed to hell while they are covered in blood and dust, while still going hard against immigration and refugees then a child on drugs has no chance

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
nah the kid might be white

e: and not poor

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Dmitri-9 posted:

They are trying to strangle the small producers before a pharmaceutical company can roll out a product. They have seriously misjudged the national attitude, people might feel funny about getting high but they will take notice of sick children suffering.

Hey guys let me introduce you to GW Pharmaceuticals' new drug, Epidiolex

quote:

Epidiolex is GW's lead cannabinoid product candidate and is a proprietary oral solution of pure plant-derived cannabidiol, or CBD.

the FDA trials have had really positive outcomes so far

this will of course be considered different than other common CBD extraction methods because of reasons.

Honestly I don't know how I feel about this as we've yet to learn how this will be affected, if at all, from the DEA ruling. This does differ from Marinol which is synthetic THC. This CBD is coming from the plant itself - I'd assume from hemp, which is still federally illegal to grow for commercial purposes. Growing for research purposes is something different - here's the latest statement regarding that: Statement of Principles on Industrial Hemp

Speaking of that, I should mention the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2015 (Senate bill / House bill) which will exclude industrial hemp from the definition of "marihuana" if passed. It still has a long way to go.

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 16, 2016

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
http://bangordailynews.com/2016/12/17/politics/recount-bid-ends-clearing-way-for-legal-marijuana-in-maine/

Bangor Daily News posted:

AUGUSTA, Maine — The campaign that opposed a referendum seeking to legalize marijuana for recreational use in Maine abandoned its recount effort Saturday afternoon, clearing the way for Maine to become the latest state to allow use of the drug for nonmedical purposes.

The citizen-initiated legalization effort appeared as Question 1 on the Nov. 8 ballot. Unofficial results showed the question winning by less than 1 percentage point, the closest contest on a ballot that included four other citizen-initiated referendums and a bond question.

That narrow margin prompted opponents of legalization — organized as Mainers Protecting Our Youth and Communities — to ask the secretary of state to conduct a statewide recount.

After a weekslong process that required ballots from all over the state to be collected and delivered to Augusta, the recount began earlier this month.

Story continues below advertisement.
Ballot examination initially focused on precincts in the state’s larger cities, with a second phase of the recount zeroing in on other selected precincts. The recount recessed Friday with plans to resume in January 2017.

However, Mainers Protecting Our Youth and Communities formally requested Saturday that the secretary of state’s office end the process.

“We promised folks that if we came to a point where we could not see any chance of reversing the result, we would not drag the process out,” Newell Augur, legal counsel for No on 1, said in a release. “We are satisfied that the count and the result are accurate.”

Now as far as I am aware, once a citizen referendum has been verified as passed, the governor has 60 days to sign it into action otherwise I believe it goes into effect automatically. The article didn't really say much about that and LePage is all about being a douchebag, but iirc, all the laws goes into effect after 60 days automatically so I don't see why this one would be any different

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Has there been any studies in states where private growing is legal in how its affected street dealing? Just bought my first batch of seeds in MA, I'm allowed 12 plants and can give away up to an ounce per person I think per month, in 2-3 months I'm looking at having more weed than I've ever seen at once. (10-20 ounces per plant x 12 for $200).

Between me never needing to buy again, giving away to half a dozen people, the 10 or so people I know who are growing and all the people they are going to supply... I don't see a lot of people left buying for hell... like 50x the cost of growing at no legal risk. Add in the ability to grow the exact strains you want for Indica/Sativa blends and THC/CBD levels vs getting got god knows what on the street I can't see being a dealer worth the risk here.

Not saying it will stop but its got to have some effect.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Toasticle posted:

Has there been any studies in states where private growing is legal in how its affected street dealing? Just bought my first batch of seeds in MA, I'm allowed 12 plants and can give away up to an ounce per person I think per month, in 2-3 months I'm looking at having more weed than I've ever seen at once. (10-20 ounces per plant x 12 for $200).

Between me never needing to buy again, giving away to half a dozen people, the 10 or so people I know who are growing and all the people they are going to supply... I don't see a lot of people left buying for hell... like 50x the cost of growing at no legal risk. Add in the ability to grow the exact strains you want for Indica/Sativa blends and THC/CBD levels vs getting got god knows what on the street I can't see being a dealer worth the risk here.

Not saying it will stop but its got to have some effect.

It's still more convenient to go to a store and buy some instead waiting however many weeks for your plants to mature, to harvest them and wait for it to dry out and then have to store several pounds of weed in your house for as long as it lasts

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Short term of course not much will change, I mean once everyone's plants start flowing. Why I asked about other states that allow self growing already.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
All subsidized housing and most lower income housing in general has no-grow lease clauses. There's still a bit of class divide there.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

All subsidized housing and most lower income housing in general has no-grow lease clauses. There's still a bit of class divide there.
What is the penalty for breaching that clause?

And assuming that you're cropping between 6 and 8 kilos annually off some tiny pantry room or some other place you don't really "need" (let alone a full sized bedroom pulling many more kilos), are you at that point not making enough money to not even qualify for lower income/subsidized housing?

I have no idea what a kilo prices for in these markets though, or if it's possible to declare weed income without issues? I assume legalization has introduced downward pressure on wholesale pricing. If someone can speak with the voice of experience on this I'm very curious to know.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Eviction i'm sure is the beginning of the penalty. And once you have that on your rental record you aren't renting anything any time soon.

You can't just grow weed in your house and sell it. You have to enter the grow/supplier/dispensary pipeline, register with the state, pay excise taxes, have registered dispensaries that buy/resell your product, document your plants and output from seed to sale to the 10th of a gram (this is what my company provides software for), ensure it's in a facility not easily broken into, etc. Colorado, at least, is a tight ship.

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

Toasticle posted:

Short term of course not much will change, I mean once everyone's plants start flowing. Why I asked about other states that allow self growing already.

So I live in Oregon, and it seems that it didn't really have that big of an effect. Our dispensaries are just booming. Lots of people are just not interested in doing any kind of effort (at all) for an indoor setup, especially when they prefer and higher quality grown bud. Outdoor of course has pretty limited growing periods, and if you want "dispensary quality" its still going to be a bit of work. Lots of people I've talked too about it are just too paranoid to grow outdoor, and fear (whether this is rational I don't know) it may be stolen.

And it's just so drat -easy- to go to the dispensary, you just walk in and flash some ID. Then you got selections of strains, edibles, oils, whatever. It's even fun sometimes :)

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Eviction i'm sure is the beginning of the penalty. And once you have that on your rental record you aren't renting anything any time soon.

You can't just grow weed in your house and sell it. You have to enter the grow/supplier/dispensary pipeline, register with the state, pay excise taxes, have registered dispensaries that buy/resell your product, document your plants and output from seed to sale to the 10th of a gram (this is what my company provides software for), ensure it's in a facility not easily broken into, etc. Colorado, at least, is a tight ship.
Thanks for sharing, I've got no experience with this business in the USA, only with the quasi-legal arrangements that exist in Europe and the nuts and bolts of how America is moving forward is being watched with a lot of interest here.

Does the state govern who you sell to, or require advance registration of who will be taking your supply? Or are you in principle free to walk into a dispensary, find whomever is in charge of acquisition and hash it all out with the proper paperwork being filed once everything is in order?

And what is the purpose of monitoring plant growth/output? Does the state tax based on some component other than dry weight of cut/manicured crop?

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

Hambilderberglar posted:

Thanks for sharing, I've got no experience with this business in the USA, only with the quasi-legal arrangements that exist in Europe and the nuts and bolts of how America is moving forward is being watched with a lot of interest here.

Does the state govern who you sell to, or require advance registration of who will be taking your supply? Or are you in principle free to walk into a dispensary, find whomever is in charge of acquisition and hash it all out with the proper paperwork being filed once everything is in order?

And what is the purpose of monitoring plant growth/output? Does the state tax based on some component other than dry weight of cut/manicured crop?

7 States have legal recreational laws, and each has their own semi-complex system with wacky ideas and rules tacked on, so there is kinda 7 different answers to that. And then there are a bunch more that have medical allowance, but each have their own wacky rules as well. To my understanding, states that already had laws that allowed medical growth tend to keep a system similar to what they had (people registered to grow for sales in the medical market), while just changing around some of the rules to make it easier for the larger market. In my state you need to have everything tested by a registered lab and it can be quite the process.

Here once you get registered as a medical grower, and get your product tested, then you got tons of paperwork The laws for selling, testing, and registration change can change quickly and often. Then at the end of this you usually have to get ready to make a cash exchange because banks are federal. Recently testing laws changed and some shops had to have most/much of their product retested and there is such a queue that the 1-2 dozen dispensaries in town were fairly dry for 2-3 months. Here the counties and cities of the state can make their own laws as well.

In my state you are also able to grow a few flowers of your own, but you may want to plant them with time apart so you don't go over the recreational user holding limit. Laws are different for medical which still exists in my state (and is untaxed as well, but now it is quite more expensive to get the permit.) However you are allowed to freely gift to other people over 21.

Differentiating state laws common grey-area technique in a few is to "gift" people weed for donating :10bux: or whatever amount for a bottle of water (but this should be getting shut down more any day now - I personally have avoided it for the obvious reasons of not wanting to deal with grey-market narcotics on craigslist). But this kind of exploitation can be found in the laws in different ways in each state.

Sorry if that seemed scattered, it's just there are a lot of changing, growing, and different laws everywhere in the USA.

edit: But for as complicated as all that sounds, its still a fairly easy way to make a real decent amount of cash. People are getting RICH.

Rushi fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 19, 2016

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Rushi posted:

7 States have legal recreational laws, and each has their own semi-complex system with wacky ideas and rules tacked on, so there is kinda 7 different answers to that. And then there are a bunch more that have medical allowance, but each have their own wacky rules as well. To my understanding, states that already had laws that allowed medical growth tend to keep a system similar to what they had (people registered to grow for sales in the medical market), while just changing around some of the rules to make it easier for the larger market. In my state you need to have everything tested by a registered lab and it can be quite the process.

Here once you get registered as a medical grower, and get your product tested, then you got tons of paperwork The laws for selling, testing, and registration change can change quickly and often. Then at the end of this you usually have to get ready to make a cash exchange because banks are federal. Recently testing laws changed and some shops had to have most/much of their product retested and there is such a queue that the 1-2 dozen dispensaries in town were fairly dry for 2-3 months. Here the counties and cities of the state can make their own laws as well.

In my state you are also able to grow a few flowers of your own, but you may want to plant them with time apart so you don't go over the recreational user holding limit. Laws are different for medical which still exists in my state (and is untaxed as well, but now it is quite more expensive to get the permit.) However you are allowed to freely gift to other people over 21.

Differentiating state laws common grey-area technique in a few is to "gift" people weed for donating :10bux: or whatever amount for a bottle of water (but this should be getting shut down more any day now - I personally have avoided it for the obvious reasons of not wanting to deal with grey-market narcotics on craigslist). But this kind of exploitation can be found in the laws in different ways in each state.

Sorry if that seemed scattered, it's just there are a lot of changing, growing, and different laws everywhere in the USA.

edit: But for as complicated as all that sounds, its still a fairly easy way to make a real decent amount of cash. People are getting RICH.
It's okay. The regulatory framework for this is obviously not final at all but I still know more than I did before I read your post. :)

For the following questions, feel free to limit your answer to your own state or what you're familiar with, I'm not expecting an encyclopedic legal brief from you or anything.

Do you have any information on what is being tested? Do medical growers specifically target high-cbd strains, or others with more limited recreational capacity? Does the state or whatever entity is in charge of its medical marijuana program supply the strains or does all that remain the responsibility of the farmer?

And with regards to recreational use of flowers, I assume it's not kosher then to just fill a mason jar of your own poo poo before you declare how much you yielded that crop, you have to actually designate live plants for personal use prior to harvest, and have to time that harvest to avoid having it around when you're harvesting your "commercial" crop?

The money aspect is actually something that some (selfish) angst exists over here. I've only heard anecdotal evidence of what a kilo goes for in California now and if those figures are true a lot of people would take a bath on the supply side. Paying taxes on top of that would make it fairly attractive for more risk tolerant individuals to keep selling for cross-border markets or other destinations/purchasers outside of the system. Is there any information on how it gets taxed?

Additionally, you mentioned banks are federal, does this impact your ability to stay banked as a dispensary or farmer? Or is the only "issue" that you have extra overhead costs to send an armored car to pick your cash up?

E2: not meant to be a discussion/encouragement of illegal activity in any way shape or form.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 19, 2016

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
I'll give them a shot - realize that I'm not a 100% expert, I've done design work for dispensaries and have a (major) interest. And can only try to answer about Oregon. :) Most things I'm answering from can be found at https://www.oregon.gov/olcc/marijuana/Pages/Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx with a few personal experiences.

You do as testing is heavily regulated by the state and even counties in Oregon, its all on a document somewhere. Medical growers are free to grow high thc or cbd strains in any way they wish, I've seen bud, concentrates, and edibles with any combination as well, including high THC with 0% CBD. Strains are responsibility of the farmer, is is often recommended to just order seeds online, there is a lot of freedom here in this regard. If there are any restrictions about it, I've never heard of them.

I heard (this year) from multiple medical growers is that in Oregon (Polk and Marion county) that only when a flower has reached a certain stage (I'm not exactly sure which as I'm not a growing expert) it counts as a plant. This means you can plan carefully and use different growing techniques to have the harvest times grow quite efficiently. You don't really need to declare anything (for personal use), just have amounts within regulations if by the off-chance your landlord/the police/whoever sees it. This may of changed but is the last official thing I heard. A lot of people will have giant crop yields that go over who immediately gift it to friends. I have no idea how having a recreational and commercial crop goes :) The recreational limit is 4 plants per household.

Recreational users in Oregon pay 25% tax, more info in the link above. OMMP card holders do not pay that tax. So often you'll see two prices listed on each jar here. There was some drama from Washington about Oregon (Who legalized some time after Washington state) having better prices/taxes and that border towns were losing business. In fact it was tax free for the first 6 months. Their original numbers in Washington border shops were "inflated" seeing that Oregon residents had no problem going up, buying the legal limit, and simply driving back. This is technically a federal crime where you are transporting illegal narcotics across state lines but.... nobody cared, and care less now that it's legal in Oregon. Some people will still come to Oregon if they feel the prices are better. Now there are so many dispensaries you have the freedom to shop around and look for deals of the day.

So national banks that operate with federal regulating just don't want to deal with cannabis money for the most part, the most popular reason I've heard being that if you're holding a bunch of "drug money" the FBI can seize it. However the upside to this is that many credit unions (city/state/regionally based banks) in Oregon now are banking all this money and are doing better than ever :) As for trivia, its quite serious in states to not have cannabis on federal land such as national parks - police and FBI might not care as much about people shopping between Oregon and Washington, but forest rangers will often take this part of their job quite seriously.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Growers also need to be aware that there are no legal pesticides or herbicides for marijuana, since the chemical labelling process is done by the EPA at the federal level.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Luckily I live in the most commie area of the most commie state (Amherst Massachusetts) and the personal grow laws are amazingly lax, as I've said 6 per person/12 max, I don't have kids so didn't read much about it but I think there are some safety requirements to keep them away from your kids. No selling, can only give away. The dispensary laws for some reason are going to take 1-2 years which doesn't make much sense since there was already medical here. I've yet to hear of a landlord who cares but yeah section 8 housing and the like will most likely not allow it but you are allowed to grow for someone else. The state in general and this area especially the police generally didn't care before last week as long as you weren't lighting up in a public place.

For some reason medical was starting to get leaned on from what I heard either the AMA or the state Medical boards, doctors were starting to get stingy with issuing cards for fear of reprisal.

Rushi posted:

I heard (this year) from multiple medical growers is that in Oregon (Polk and Marion county) that only when a flower has reached a certain stage (I'm not exactly sure which as I'm not a growing expert) it counts as a plant. This means you can plan carefully and use different growing techniques to have the harvest times grow quite efficiently

18 Hours light/6 dark to keep it in a vegetative state, can keep it like that as long as you want but will have to trim it unless you want a pot tree. Things can grow 1-2 inches a day. 12/12 light/dark and it will flower.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Toasticle posted:

18 Hours light/6 dark to keep it in a vegetative state, can keep it like that as long as you want but will have to trim it unless you want a pot tree. Things can grow 1-2 inches a day. 12/12 light/dark and it will flower.
Is there a legal/practical rationale behind not deeming a plant kept under 18/6 light legally a "plant"?
Where I am from, lights are illegal at all (but this prohibition is widely flouted), so as long as one stays inside the personal plant limit (5) you're kosher no matter what stage the plant is in.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hambilderberglar posted:

Is there a legal/practical rationale behind not deeming a plant kept under 18/6 light legally a "plant"?
Where I am from, lights are illegal at all (but this prohibition is widely flouted), so as long as one stays inside the personal plant limit (5) you're kosher no matter what stage the plant is in.

Some states specify "flowering" plants.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Legalization/decriminalization still means that you can get fired for failing a test that screens for marijuana, right? I don't think it supersedes at-will employment?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Pollyanna posted:

Legalization/decriminalization still means that you can get fired for failing a test that screens for marijuana, right? I don't think it supersedes at-will employment?

Correct

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ardlen posted:

Growers also need to be aware that there are no legal pesticides or herbicides for marijuana, since the chemical labelling process is done by the EPA at the federal level.

If you're growing indoors, you shouldn't have much need for pesticides or herbicides, should you? Even outdoors, I would think that with a dozen or fewer plants to care for, you could find some way to avoid the need for chemicals (though I don't know that much about gardening, least of all cannabis).

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Cockmaster posted:

If you're growing indoors, you shouldn't have much need for pesticides or herbicides, should you? Even outdoors, I would think that with a dozen or fewer plants to care for, you could find some way to avoid the need for chemicals (though I don't know that much about gardening, least of all cannabis).

Yes, especially when dealing with clones from outside sources. Though a lot of the solutions are natural, rosemary oil/extract for example.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Thrips and spider mites can be brought in from the outside fairly easily, especially if you have a garden. Persimilis can be deployed at an early stage and they'll just eat them into extinction, but once the mites start spinning their webs there's so many that the the Persimilis won't devour them all. Your plants will (probably) survive but your yield will be at least half, possibly as little as a third of what you should get per watt/m2 if the little fuckers weren't eating your profits.

If you're willing (or needing to) use chemicals, Vertimac or some off-brand variety of it is what I've seen sprayed most often in Europe. Or some paranoid individuals dunk their clones before potting them over.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 21, 2016

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

Hambilderberglar posted:

I'm not actually sure, but in sure in hell is convenient - Its possibly because in a lot of states you could already grow hemp and it helps avoid grey areas there.

Pollyanna posted:

Depends where you live! Washington DC for instance, has limits/rules on jobs testing for cannabis. http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/first-read-dmv/DC-Bans-Pot-Testing-of-Job-Applicants-284660911.html In places like these, for instance, you can sometimes still be tested AFTER becoming employed with them (common say if your job requires operating heavy machinery).

Rushi fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 21, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Are you familiar with other general erp software? Lot tracking from raw material to final assembly is standard practice in aerospace for quality purposes and I'm wondering if I shouldn't be moving to a state with legal weed and changing industries

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Toasticle posted:

Has there been any studies in states where private growing is legal in how its affected street dealing?

No idea, but I know someone who sells in a place where it's now legal to grow your own, and he hasn't seen any decline in business.

Growing lovely weed is super easy, but growing really good weed that can compete with commercial grows takes a lot of time and effort and upfront costs, and I think most people just don't care that much, especially people who smoke an eighth a month.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

EX250 Type R posted:

Now as far as I am aware, once a citizen referendum has been verified as passed, the governor has 60 days to sign it into action otherwise I believe it goes into effect automatically. The article didn't really say much about that and LePage is all about being a douchebag, but iirc, all the laws goes into effect after 60 days automatically so I don't see why this one would be any different

I don't live there or know anything about Maine law, but this appears incorrect:

Maine Constitution, Article IV, Section 19 posted:

Section 19. Effective date of measures approved by people; veto power limited.
Any measure referred to the people and approved by a majority of the votes given thereon shall, unless a later date is specified in said measure, take effect and become a law in 30 days after the Governor has made public proclamation of the result of the vote on said measure, which the Governor shall do within 10 days after the vote thereon has been canvassed and determined; provided, however, that any such measure which entails expenditure in an amount in excess of available and unappropriated state funds shall remain inoperative until 45 days after the next convening of the Legislature in regular session, unless the measure provides for raising new revenues adequate for its operation...

Per the news stories about state officials announcing recount results, I guess that ten days starts to run today.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 21, 2016

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/01/03/gov-lepage-says-hes-signed-off-on-legal-marijuana/

LePage has signed it, though it looks like he's asking for a suspension of the ability to legally sell until they can figure out infrastructure

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Ireland is lurching toward legalizing medical, my understanding is it'a looking pretty probable for 2017. Likely to be overshadowed in the news by Canada (very likely) going full-legal later this year, but still a positive step:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ireland-cannabis-legalise-medical-marijuana-vote-a7451411.html%3Famp?client=safari

Several of the candidates for France's presidential race this fall have come out in support of legalization or decrim, so that's another one to watch: https://www.google.com/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2017/01/06/marijuana-legalization-in-europe-is-france-next/?client=safari

Italy continues to hover over the edge of legalizing, not sure what political events would have to occur for that domino to finally fall...

EDIT: Gallup just announced their October poll shows 60% of Americans in favor of legalized recreational. For contrast, it was 12% in 1969 and around 25% in the 80s and mid-90s.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/196550/support-legal-marijuana.aspx

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Hot drat, the governor of Guam just submitted a proposed law legalizing cannabis entirely in the territory:

http://www.postguam.com/news/local/calvo-submits-marijuana-bill/article_5173e2c0-d700-11e6-a3d3-834690076b77.html

As once TCC poster pointed out, Guam is right near a bunch of really strict anti-weed Asian countries, so this could do interesting things for tourism.